Author Topic: Terminology Questions  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Luke

Terminology Questions
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:54:24 PM »
'Scuse me for the n00b question, but what is 'nerfing' and what is a 'scout rush'?

My guess is that a scout rush is when someone flies in a ton of scouts into an opponent's base at high speed and  self-destructs them around an important structure?

No idea on the other one. Thanks for your help guys.  :lol:  
The killer eiffel tower!!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Terminology Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
Your right about the scout rush.

The other I haven't heard about..
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Terminology Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:30:20 PM »
"Nerf" depending on context generally means taking out / removed / getting killed / etc.

e.g. "my CC really got nerfed that game" -- translation: "my CC got destroyed that game"

Nerf could mean to get rid of, for example nerfing weapons from the game like the emp missile (as people have talked about before).

If you wonder where the term Nerf comes from, most likely the fact that Nerf is a type of foam dart game that they sell in the US (and probably other places as well). It's generally part of some toy dart gun (the foam darts get put into the gun and it shoots them out)

I think there are Nerf footballs and some other Nerf darts that are meant to be thrown, not shot out of some cheapo plastic dartgun.

Offline Luke

Terminology Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
Ok, awesome. Thanks for the help guys.  
The killer eiffel tower!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Terminology Questions
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:14:19 PM »
Yeah, I've heard about it in relating to the foam (foot)balls. If you nerf something, you make it weak. Maybenot get rid of, but get make them weaker and less effective. You'll sometimes hear it about MMORPGs in the context of character classes. Sometimes the players feel that a certain class is much more powerful than others and want them to be weakened or limited, in which case you can say that class got nerfed. Or maybe another class gets upgraded, and the imporvements mean that another class is significantly weaker in comparison. In which case you could say the existing class was nerfed by the upgrade.

Offline Leviathan

Terminology Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:31:31 AM »
If you dont ask you wont know.

Were here to help :)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Terminology Questions
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode