Author Topic: Ip Over Avian Carriers  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Ip Over Avian Carriers
« on: March 07, 2007, 02:17:05 AM »
You can read the wiki article here.

The sick part is that someone apparently tested it out. Only a 55% packet loss! :P

I love that part at the bottom about the flash drives, and how if latency isn't a problem, then it compares quite favourably with ADSL lines, even accounting for lost packets.

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
Ip Over Avian Carriers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:17:08 PM »
lol!

That got me trouble in class because I was laughing too hard... That's funny :)

Offline White Claw

Ip Over Avian Carriers
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:39:43 PM »
Wow, someone probably made this their graduate study project.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Ip Over Avian Carriers
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
Heh, I missed the link at the bottom about the test later done in Israel. Apparently they got better data transfer rates than ADSL, with lower latency than Fedex, better range than Wi-Fi (pigeons travelled 100 KM distance), and with very little mass and equipment. Just think, only 3 pigeons, no trucks, planes, or miles of wires, or wireless relay stations. It was also self powered!

People have way too much time on their hands.  :P

Hey, maybe we should consider that tin can network we were joking about before on here?  :o

Hmm, you know those things for talking long distance through the mountains? Maybe if we hooked a modem up to one of those....

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Ip Over Avian Carriers
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
Latency would be pretty bad but the throughput would be massive. For example you could have the birds carrying 4gb flash drives.

The same can be said about a 'sneakernet', that is just hand delivering a storage medium from one place to another. Latency is pretty great because it could take a person some time to deliver it (for example, one college student giving data to another student in a different building, or moving files around at the office) but the throughput would be massive (for example, the first person could be carrying a 500gb hard drive to the other person). If it takes him 10 minutes to bring that hard drive to the other person, it's still a lot faster than trying to download 500 gb of information over a broadband connection. (or a LAN connection for that matter).

Or as the page about sneakernets on Wikipedia quotes:
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

—Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1996). Computer Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 83. ISBN 0-13-349945-6.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:23:28 AM by op2hacker »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Ip Over Avian Carriers
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
I for one welcome our new avian masters.