Author Topic: Unit Limit  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Limit
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »
Edit: Never mind, Hooman beat me to it...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 04:43:56 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hidiot

Unit Limit
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
Something about the soft limits...

The soft limit for units should be higher than 400... me thinks a more equal proportion of units vs. buildings would be better (along the lines of 700 units and 650 buildings (according to the numbers seen in the second last post made by Hooman)). To accommodate both major playing styles.

Now we need to wait for BlackBox...

Oh,yeah, it gave me the same helphook.dll error when I tried it on the current version.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Unit Limit
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 09:20:55 AM »
I think Hacker has better things to do than sit down here at OPU all the time
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Unit Limit
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
You mean Hooman. :P

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Limit
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »
Yeah, what does BlackBox have to do with any of this?
No offense to him, of course, but he hasn't done much (if anything) on this project.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Unit Limit
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
Probably in reference to my comment:
This is probably where I stop and just ask BlackBox about it. Meanwhile, if you have a CD, or a CD install, use that as a base, and copy the new exe into that folder.

BlackBox was the one that packaged the updates. He would know more about those changes that are causing the incompatibility between this patch, and the usual multiplayer install.

As for that single player unit limit, keep in mind that an AI would be a second player. So if you're really playing single player, there can be no opponent, AI or otherwise. Hence there is absolutely no reason to build any combat units, other then to kill your own base. For that reason I was half tempted to leave the vehicle limit as it was, and just up the building limit. But then I figured someone would want to bulldoze the whole map or something, so maybe I should up the vehicle limit just a bit too. At any rate, I saw people trying to fill the map with buildings as more likely then filling the map with vehicles. Hence the disproportionate change.

The other game styles has both the vehicle and building limits doubled. Most of them, possibly all of them, allowed for more units than buildings. But of course those are the ones that allowed for combat.

Offline Hidiot

Unit Limit
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
Here's a little picture of the new unit limit patch in effect:

I shall upload the patched exe for the version we currently use.

All credits go to Sirbomber for patching the exe we all use.

Note: big picture, may load hard.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:30:52 PM by Hidiot »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Unit Limit
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
Keep in mind, that if you use this EXE for multiplayer, everyone has to have the same EXE or things won't work right. (You should get a checksum error if someone has an unpatched EXE).

This fix will be included in the next update (1.3.5).

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Limit
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:36 PM »
All credits go to Sirbomber for patching the exe we all use.
Thanks, but I only did grunt work, really. Hooman is the real "hero" here, thank him.

Offline Hidiot

Unit Limit
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 09:53:25 AM »
That's why I only said "patching" and not making the patch itself. It's pretty obvious just by looking into the topic a bit that Hooman did the changes that enhance the limits.

And not everyone knows how to stick the patch either.

EDIT: Um... does anyone know if there have been any indexes pushed around by mistake?

The reason I ask this is because of the following:
I recently noticed that wreckage turns into rare rubble when picked up, when it would be regular wreckage before the patch. Happened both on the post-release Eden demo and Barren Land LR map today.

Also curious with the color testing maps I made, due to the weird stuff happening to the nova GPs.

EDIT2: Tested with an older .exe and the wreckage problem is not present. The GP problem is still there, but that's unimportant now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:48:22 AM by Hidiot »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Unit Limit
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
The wreckage problem was already there. It's based on terrain type. Placing wreckage on certain terrain will make it turn into rare rubble when picked up. It's basically a small code bug if I remember right. I took a look at the code a long time ago.

I have no idea what you mean about the GPs.

Offline Hidiot

Unit Limit
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »
um... the GP thingy is in another thread.