Author Topic: Msn Userbar  (Read 3567 times)

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Msn Userbar
« on: December 09, 2006, 11:10:04 AM »
Hey guys found this cool thing it's in my sig, there are a bunch of different styles, it's a userbar (150/22 i know it's 3px off) that shows your msn name, and if your online or offline... It works by making you add a bot to you msn list, and then you just copy the userbar to you sig! Oh, you might what to make it not a link, up to you... i got rid of it. The link to go to ther website is on the userbar...

Also not only the word in brackets tells if you Online or Offline, but the little icon picture thingy goes all dim.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:17:58 AM by OP2 Rules »
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Msn Userbar
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:29:06 PM »
only 10year olds use msn
why would i want it ?  (why would i want ANY toolbar for that matters?)
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Msn Userbar
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 05:28:44 PM »
Wow your being harsh, for one everyone in my grade uses it (except those without computers) and im in grade 7, secondly it's not a toolbar, it' a userbar, huge difference....
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Msn Userbar
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:57:07 PM »
Lol, yeah I use MSN. I don't know of too many people that don't use it actually. Just people that don't use it frequently.

But I agree with not liking tool bars or even user bars. I don't like a lot of clutter on my screen. Plus I don't want a ton of things loading on startup and slowing me down.  

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Msn Userbar
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 07:55:29 PM »
But it's not a startup thing, it's not a clutter object, it's a userbar! Why don't people get that 0.o  
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Leviathan

Msn Userbar
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 09:46:33 PM »
we get what it is.

were talking about msn tho. i hate it :) i love irc. it makes much more sence to log on to a chat room or chat rooms and then secondary do private messaging. much more communal communication which is better.

when i use the msn network i use trillian software. cant stand thos windows, msn, live messenger programs.

and op2 rules, feel free to keep posting stuff you find on the internet and you think might be interesting or useful to people here. thanks :)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Msn Userbar
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 02:10:32 AM »
Yes, the idea is interesting. Just not something I'd ever be interested in using. I mostly just like having brain food. It's interesting to hear what other people have come up with to do things like that.  

Offline Eddy-B

Msn Userbar
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 03:59:31 AM »
I used ICQ since, well, since i got online pretty much..
I just missed the 7-digit numbers by something like 2 months: my number starts with a 1. I believe ICQ is now even 10 or 11 digits ?
Ever since it got commercialized (aka. taken over by those american idiots) i stopped using it. ICQ98 was the best version ever released. Since 2000 it's gone downhill, and i never use it anymore.

it had GREAT advantages over something like MSN. MSN is in the middle between ICQ, e-mail and IRC: it combines the bad qualities of all the forementioned :lol:  
1) You cannot send messages to someone who's not online (which is the MAIN reason to use any instant messenger over e-mail or IRC).
2) You cannot go into a public chatroom, all you have are private chats (be it, you can "privatly" chat with more than 1 person, as was the case with ICQ).
3) you cannot send a message to someone you don't have on your list.

oh, and the most important reason, why i deleted msn after just 30 mins of trying: it causes your system resources to be drained to virtually nothing; it slows down ytour system to a snails pace, and it installs all kinds of adware (read: junk) that you don't want on your computer. This last one was also a reason to stop using ICQ2000a, since it had spam included
--------------------

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Msn Userbar
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:59:13 AM »
What are you legally smoking?  :P  J/k

I've never had resource or spam issues with MSN. There is that window that displays on login by default, but it takes all of 10 seconds to turn it off permanently and never have to worry about it again.

If resources are an issue, don't upgrade to the newer versions of MSN Messenger. The older ones always tend to be a little more compact, faster loading, and memory efficient. Also, keep in mind that there are two versions of the client that use the same network. One of them is the no frills, never seems to require an update kind that is extremely low on resource requirements (Windows Messenger). The other one has all the extra features such as custom emoticons and all the less used ones that are mostly just cool to toy with once in a while (MSN Messenger).

And what the heck are you talking about sending messages to people who are offline being the MAIN reason to use an "instant" messenger. I'd sort of thought sending "instant" messages makes more sense when people are online and you can send them instantly.  ;)

Besides, you can't exactly send messages to people on IRC while they are offline either.  

Your main points of disagreement with MSN seem to be things it was never designed for. Or if it had those things, I suspect you'd complain about it even more. What if anybody on the internet was able to send you messages through an IM program. Would you use that program? Probably not. It'd likely be flooded with spam. Think about the nature of a popular IM program. It just plain has to be different from something like IRC to be effective. You just plain can't have anyone sending messages to anyone else without some kind of control. Such as only sending/receiving IMs from people on your list.

The only thing ICQ had over MSN was leaving short messages for people to see when they next logged in. But with what's happened to ICQ I'd take MSN over ICQ anyday. And I've never known ICQ to be fast loading. I was usually logged in with MSN while ICQ was still displaying a splash screen when I used to use them both.

Offline Eddy-B

Msn Userbar
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 11:35:08 AM »
Before i start: please remember this is NOT an attack on you, as a person, Hooman. I admire your skills as a coder, but i just disagree on your choice of software :)

What are you legally smoking?  :P  J/k

I've never had resource or spam issues with MSN. There is that window that displays on login by default, but it takes all of 10 seconds to turn it off permanently and never have to worry about it again.
I had MSN messenger 6 installed for a few minutes. To find out it uses about 60MB of memory (out of the 64 i had at the time), and over 50% of the systemresources, making it go down to almost nothing...  Plus it has a MAJOR memory leak, as resources usage tends to grow by the minute and soon the system won't be able to even perform simple action , like let's say:  shut down ?

anyway.. the memory problem could be addressed to by inserting more, but since they are now at version 9, i suppose it'll still use almost all my 256 MB i have now..

If resources are an issue, don't upgrade to the newer versions of MSN Messenger. The older ones always tend to be a little more compact, faster loading, and memory efficient. Also, keep in mind that there are two versions of the client that use the same network. One of them is the no frills, never seems to require an update kind that is extremely low on resource requirements (Windows Messenger). The other one has all the extra features such as custom emoticons and all the less used ones that are mostly just cool to toy with once in a while (MSN Messenger).
i would have to agree on the upgrade issue, since microsoft is VERY good at inserting all kinds of unnecessary junk into their programs.

And what the heck are you talking about sending messages to people who are offline being the MAIN reason to use an "instant" messenger. I'd sort of thought sending "instant" messages makes more sense when people are online and you can send them instantly.  ;)
Then just use IRC: it uses far less resources & memory, plus you can choose whichever client you want..,.  on the other hand: ICQ DID have this property, which was used (not only by me, but also,,, oh,, the rest of the icq community?) very frequently, if not daily.  Oh, ands i didn't invent the name "instant messanging"; that was MicroCrap or Yahoo, or whoever...  100% sure it WASNT Mirabilis..  I guess ICQ just got added to the list by some ignorent fool that thought it does the same thing as MSN, or Yahoo or whatever else there is out there...

Your main points of disagreement with MSN seem to be things it was never designed for.
or it may just indicate a poorly written software.. :P

Or if it had those things, I suspect you'd complain about it even more. What if anybody on the internet was able to send you messages through an IM program. Would you use that program? Probably not. It'd likely be flooded with spam.
uhm.. send messages offline to people .. ?  not be used?  where have you been the past 15 years ?  ever headr of e-mail ?  or doesnt anyone use this but me ?
And, as far as spamming is considered: i hardly EVER got spam through my ICQ. And the few times (which i can still count on both hands) that DID send spam had been added to the ignore list.  (does msn even have an ignore list im wondering)

Oh, just as a test, i logged onto my icq account, for the first time this year; and guess what: NO SPAM whatsoever!

Think about the nature of a popular IM program. It just plain has to be different from something like IRC to be effective.
ok:
send messages offline:  irc=no,  msn=no   (icq=yes)
talk to 1 person at the same time: irc=yes,  msn=yes
talk to several ppl at the same time:  irc=yes,  msn=yes
(still looks the same to me)
play sounds: irc=yes,  msn=yes
send files through dcc:  irc=yes,   msn=yes
send files offline to ppl:   irc=no,   msn=no
ignore people:   irc=yes,  msn=unknown   (icq=yes)

oh wait, i found some differences:
small, well-managed program:   irc=yes,   msn=no
able to connect to different server:   irc=yes,  msn=no   (icq=yes, but not many public servers available)
send messages from a website: irc=yes (java-based),  msn=no   (icq=yes)

To mock your point:   .. indeed, what does MSN offer over and above a normal IRC client ?

You just plain can't have anyone sending messages to anyone else without some kind of control. Such as only sending/receiving IMs from people on your list.
You, of all people should know: they call this a server !   it logs ur message, and sends it to your client as soon as it connects.

The only thing ICQ had over MSN was leaving short messages for people to see when they next logged in. But with what's happened to ICQ I'd take MSN over ICQ anyday.
... and send sms, and have reminders, and have anonimous registration, and have public chat rooms, plus it isn't a strain on your system.
So in other words:  not then, not now, and i believe the word is: not ever!

As i said before: i pitty the fact that those Israeli's sold ICQ to the highest bidder (which was AOL), who in turn screwed it over.

And I've never known ICQ to be fast loading. I was usually logged in with MSN while ICQ was still displaying a splash screen when I used to use them both.
MY ICQ98b ALWAYS loaded fast: no problems, just 2 seconds, and it's up. As for MSN... WHOA!!  that takes 5~10 seconds to load, and then you have to wait for it to connect.  You must've used the AOL version of icq then, and some hacker version of MSN!   Both with loads of spyware and adware that AOL & MSN gave you for free..   I remember the ICQ2000a version is where it started to go wrong: it had an adbar. It could easily be disabled tho the empty panel still annoyed me.

As for now, ICQ98 isn't supported anymore: AOL has changed the "ICQ" protocol to some kind of "AOL" protocol i guess, so i cannot use it anymore, even if i wanted to.   As for trying out MSN: last time i tried, it took me hours to remove it and its spam from the system (the uninstaller didn't remove the junk, and i had to zift through the system registry to correct all the mess it had left behind).

Thing is : ICQ is a thing of the past, and there is no good replacement yet.

--------------------

Offline Sl0vi

Msn Userbar
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 01:22:30 PM »
what are all these false claims about not being able to send offline messages on IRC! Apparently your pick of servers is very poor :P

Anyway... isn't this pretty much offtopic. Well, it is the spam forum...
!!!YAY!!!

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Msn Userbar
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »
Seems lev is the only one who actually posted here and i really cred about the post...

Can somone close this? It's too offtopic and discussion and blah blah. And nobody even likes the bar thingy.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Msn Userbar
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »
Yes, AOL/Time Warner now owns ICQ (unfortunately).

I personally don't like any of the major IM programs (AIM / MSN / YIM).. most people that I know who use an instant messaging / chat client (besides IRC) use AIM (unfortunately, I kinda have to go along with them). I don't use the bloated 'new' client (Triton), I use the old one (along with some EXE patch someone wrote which disables the annoying built in ads and other garbage that no one needs).

MSN is okay, but the newest clients are definitely garbage and tend to crash / waste resources a lot.

Yahoo I don't really like either, although when I used it, it was probably the least bloated, it was a pain to use.

The best chat client I've used, besides IRC, is probably Skype. Doesn't burn up a lot of system resources and the chat interface is clean. (not littered with 50 buttons you'll never use). It allows you to send messages to the chat when the other user, or users are offline and they will receive them when they get back.

As for sending messages to users on IRC when they are offline, a lot of servers (including ours) have a server called MemoServ. If the user has a NickServ account they will receive a notification when they log in. Type /msg MemoServ help to learn about it.

Offline Eddy-B

Msn Userbar
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »
Memoserver : true.
i knew about this, but it's not entirely correct to accept it as offline message server: it's basicly a (bot-) user that replays the message. If the 'user' goes offline, the message will not be sent, until it is back on. As with ICQ, the message is relayed by the server itself.

Yes, yes, i know most of the services (like chanserv, nickserv and memoserv) run on the same machine, and mostly even from within the IRC server itself, but still....

Anyway: i stick to my claim: there is (not yet) a suitable replacement for ICQ (maybe WE should write one, hacker? :P)

--------------------

Offline Sl0vi

Msn Userbar
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »
Seems lev is the only one who actually posted here and i really cred about the post...

Can somone close this? It's too offtopic and discussion and blah blah. And nobody even likes the bar thingy.
That's because you can't start a thread about anything Microsoft (Yahoo, ICQ and similar stuff included) and expect it to stay on topic or turning into a flame war about what is better for that matter. Maybe you didn't catch the irony in my first post.

As for the bar thingy, it seems cool and useful for a community where MSN is used alot. OPU is more focused on IRC tho :/
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Chandler

Msn Userbar
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
Google talk is good, low resource software (you dont need to install it unless you want to use the VOIP function on it, as you can use the embedded version when you access your GMail via any web browser)and you CAN send messages to offline people :D
Chandler

Offline Brazilian Fan

Msn Userbar
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 06:09:02 AM »
Better we close this thread before the flame war gets ugly