Author Topic: Purchasing A Game Engine  (Read 1869 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Purchasing A Game Engine
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:04:28 AM »
I am in the market for one, meaning I will be purchasing a game engine in the next couple weeks. Ive looked over the popular ones and even most of the obscure ones and Im really interested in a particular one, the C4 Engine.

Features
FAQ
Roadmap
Documentation
Forum
Demo Download

Take a look at those and tell me what you think. The forums are active and support seems pretty extensive.

The engine itself looks like it could support a game with FPS and RTS modes, which is what I am interested in. In terms of graphics it is on par with DOOM3 and the next release (set for the end of December) will include major additions to the SDK like updated world editor, scene graph and terrain editor. I have no doubt the engine could be used to create an Earth 2160 quality RTS meaning: bump and normal mapped units and structures, shaders 3.0, deformable terrain, visible day/night effects, etc.

If I purchase this engine, I would be willing to pay to license it out to serious developers so everything is nice and legal on our end. The way Im looking at it is, I can either pay to upgrade my already satisfactory computer or pay for 7 engine licenses. Please take a look at the links above and tell me what you all think.

Offline Leviathan

Purchasing A Game Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 04:23:32 AM »
Looks interesting. I'd personally only be interested in the RTS side of it.

If you have serious time to work on a project using this or any other engine and the skill then I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.

And of course if you can afford it? Is it worth it? Do we really have enough serious developers who have the time?

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Purchasing A Game Engine
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 06:13:13 AM »
That is what I am wondering as well. I feel comfortable buying it for myself as a christmas gift but I wont waste the money unless serious developers are interested. Im not going to buy it for people so they can stare it and wait for skills to seep into their brains via osmossis. Only serious developers.