Poll

how would you like to see memory metals used?

Instant construction.
0 (0%)
Improved armor defense(buildings & vehicles).
1 (10%)
slight hit point regeneration.(buildings&vehicles).
2 (20%)
Medical usage.
0 (0%)
All of the above.
1 (10%)
none of the above.
5 (50%)
other.
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Memory Metals Prefered Use.  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Humility

Memory Metals Prefered Use.
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:47 AM »
i just felt like doing this.This is all the uses I heard possible with memory metals.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:01:49 AM by Humility »
Pride was the fall of man and angel alike only by humility may we be saved.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:03:56 AM »
Not at all. I think Eden/Plymouth would rather put loads of armor on their stuff than make fancy "memory metal" and I don't see how it could speed construction considering the way it's done in Outpost (wouldn't the metal try to unbend when it was in the structure kit?) and Medical Centers are either efficient enough already or a waste of time (depending on the player you ask).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Humility

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 02:06:53 PM »
well i don`t know i was unable to clarify that instant building thing i was going on ck9`s word. And unless you did not notice lots of armor on a vehicle is a lot of weight and resources are scarce . memory metal is more economical.
Pride was the fall of man and angel alike only by humility may we be saved.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »
Here's how the construction works (according to what I remember of the explanation):

You build the structure at the average temperature of the location it will be at, then you change the temp and compress it while in storage and transport (preferably a temp well outside the range of the final location), and then, when at the build site, you take everything out, exposing it to the area, and it goes back into shape.

Chemistry textbooks show memmory metals only breifly, but the images display the idea well.  A memmory metal wire is twisted to spell ice in a glass of ice water.  It is then taken out and bent way out of shape.  It then is placed back into the icewater and re-forms the word ice.

On the program I first heard of memmory metals, they had a spring that was made from memmorey metals.  The guy bent it all out of shape, which would de the destruction of most springs.  He then took out a butane torch and held the flame on the twisted mass, and it reformed itself into a spring.

By using the planet's average temperature as the base-construction temperature, you will ensure that the metal doesn't "unbend" into just the beams or whatever you use.  The "memmory" is the metal going back to the shape it was at a certain temperature, nothing more.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 02:52:55 PM »
Is there any need for build that fast?  And doesnt that take away from the risks involved in the game of loosing a building and having to replace it before it drasticly effect your colony or combat position.

Memory Metals on combat units wouldnt make a difference as the weapons that are fired on the metal would alter there composition or just make a nice hole through them.  Making them not able to retain there former shape or any thing close to it.  Memory metals on Building would result in the same thing.  Memory metals seem only practical for the every day ding and bags on car doors.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:56:38 PM »
freeza, memmory metals won't fix any changes made in the same temperature.  You can't take the spring at the same temperature it was made at, hit it with a sledge hammer, and get it back into a spring.  As to construction speed, The only difference is faster assembly at the site.  All other factors still have an effect.  The difference in the ammount of time would, at most, be cut by 10%
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:12:39 PM »
Yes I know that about memory metals CK9.  It needs to be stated so no one gets the idea that it can work that way.

And How is the construction speed increased.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 11:18:07 AM »
I wa waiting for that:

When you build a structure in op2, you basically get an erector set.  All the parts are still individual, but they are pre-formed.  With a memmory metal structure, it's more like a small puzzle.  Pre-formed pieces are already put together into pre-constructed parts.  When you change the temperature and then squish them down, you make it so you can just pt them at the correct temp and put the pieces together.  Think of it like modular homes.  They pre-build them in 2 or more pieces at the factory, where there is more equipment and building will go faster than on-site construction.  when they bring the pieces to the construction site, all they have to do is line up the pieces and seal them.

Mommory metals would work in much the same way.  The only difference is that you have to let the structure pieces expand before putting them together.
CK9 in outpost

Offline 7842303

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 07:02:47 PM »
i like this idea, but thats just me
 :D  
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource