Author Topic: Game Music Contacts  (Read 1878 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Game Music Contacts
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:40:43 AM »
Not long ago, I posted up a summary of a fictional sequel to OP2 in order to recruit some contributors to Colony3 who might volunteer to work on the various real sequel projects like Genesis and TFC. I posted the project in a few game developer forums.

I recently received this email:

Greetings. If you are in need of original sound design or composition
for your game please consider us at

http://www.burningcicada.com/

Thanks,

Burning Cicada, Ltd.

So I decided to check out their site, see what theyre all about. I go to their site and see that they have a couple projects in the works and seem to be actually making music and are near completing a few. But I noticed some things that sent up a red flag: they have no direct links to their own music, they are using Joomla to power their site, they havent figured out how to change the favorites icon for their site, the site template they use has had all its copyright notices removed and is stolen, their "Burning Cicada Player" is actually a free Joomla plugin, they havent figured out how to remove the default joomla ad banners from their site, and if you read carefully their own faq says they "are in support of music projects" and there is actually no evidence whatsoever that they have made any music of their own.

From what I can see their "Multimedia Music Company" is just some guys who are good at making CD covers with photoshop. Personally I think their site is a misrepresentation.

However, all that being the case they are probably pretty desperate for work. It does seem that theyre doing something with game music. Does anyone think it would be worth it to contact these people and request working on an OPU project? Personally I think its a waste of time but it may produce results in the end. This isnt anything official, Im just asking what you guys think about stuff like this. Is this something the project leaders would want to be made aware of? I get lots of contacts like these and I usually disregard them but perhaps some of us might get lucky and actually get something out of them.

Offline Mez

Game Music Contacts
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 12:25:34 PM »
Or as you say, they are just con artists, who will ask for some money and then disappear!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Game Music Contacts
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
Thats kind of what it looks like. Theyre going to great efforts to actively hide themselves, which shows they wouldnt think twice about doing something underhanded but the fact that theyre doing such a poor job of it opens the possibility of ripping them off before they had the chance to run ;)

You might be able to get away with having them "create some demo songs to see if they share the artistic vision of the project" and upon delivery, simply decide things wont work. There you have in your hand a few free pieces of game music.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 12:54:59 PM by dm-horus »

Offline lordly_dragon

Game Music Contacts
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:43:15 PM »
Trick them, it is quite easy to know if they are serious or not....I would not even bother with them. Not professional website...Ask them something like a the 4/4 signification or whatever simple question you have in your music history.

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.