Author Topic: Outpost 2 Suggestion: Scorpions  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 Suggestion: Scorpions
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:17:30 AM »
Reading through a topic in the multiplayer section, some guy posted about how an opponent turned the lights off some scorpions and owned the poster with an ambush with them.

Kinda hilarious from my point of view, but it sort of gave me an idea.

As it stands now, I haven't seen anyone in their right mind use scorpions since we played "Scorpion Wars" back in WON. (Yes boring, but only way of having some fun with them)

In order to make Scorpions (Arachnids as a general) useful, how about removing them from the Radar(Mini map) completely..? even with lights on. - Add in a final research for them, rendering them invisible on radar.

Personally, I don't really see how this can be abused. Scorpions are a very light combat vehicle, with limited firepower and speed. It doesn't take much to kill them.
With the invisible on minimap research, they could prove valuable in groups as ambushing units, as your opponent would have to constantly scan the map for those units.

Any thoughts ?

Is it actually doable ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »
Just guess but any thing dealing with the units on the mini map is most likely hard coded and hard if not impossible to change.

Most people dont use scorps because they need to match the unit limit amount of tigers there enemy has.  Would you really waste your time on scorps when you have a over whelming force of tigers.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »
I like the idea, but freeza has a point, now adays the unit limit factors heavaly on the stratigy, if you have a huge swarm of scops (and you would need a huge swarm to get anything done :P) you would have almost nothing to defend with, so unless you catch your opponent with their pants down its going to be a disaster for you

I do like the idea of putting more stealth aspects in op2 though
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »
Play Swarm if you want ownage Scorps.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 02:13:15 PM »
Why not make a map with a tech tree that only allows you to produce scorps in the was of a combat unit?  People would be working out new stratedgies, and eden would be dead
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 04:52:45 PM »
no matter where it is in the Tech tree you still have to deal with the unit limit

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 04:31:37 AM »
Freeza:

1) The key word here is stealth/guerilla warfare. You will try to avoid open battles Tigers vs Scorpions.

2) Keeping a constant unit limit with Tigers is a result of your playstyle guys. You will rarely see me to this. (Or any old timer in any case)

This idea applies to every situation you enemy has a backdoor, a open base or have a second base.. etc.. (Basicly every time he/she has more than 1 opening to worry about)
P.S- There are other maps than La Corrida you know ;)

If, as you say, your enemy keeps only tigers, he has to spread them out. If you amass some tigers of your own infront of 1 place, he might try to reinforce those with vhicles initially guarding something else. Unaware of a scorpion army just outside the normal view points of his base. So then you can attack into his unguarded rear/flank whatever it is.

Yes, I can figure this minimap thing is kinda hard coded, but could be worth looking into.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »
highlander, I'm glad you don';t scheme against me...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 01:51:46 PM »
Any kind of steal tactic doesn't seem very effective to me. It's incredibly easy to spot any vehicals in any light setting.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 07:03:15 PM »
Mcshay, I'm glad you think so :)

Though I'm very disappointed at the level of imagination here. It doesn't exactly take much to steal your opponents focus for a few seconds. Usually thats all you need ;)

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »
If you can do it right, you can get over the unit limit by stealing the enemy force... litterally.   Though this is harder to coordinate, as spiders tend to die quite easily and cannot be repaired.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.