Author Topic: Opu In Danger!  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Starfox00000

Opu In Danger!
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:11:12 AM »
www.savetheinternet.com

BIG PROBLEM THAT COULD KILL THE OPU AND INTERNET AS WE KNOW IT. CALL YOUR SENATOR! (theirs directions and stuff on the site, as well as what to say.)

Really, i mean it. this is huge. dont put it off til tommorow. RIGHT NOW!

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:02:11 PM »
Uh-Oh this looks like bad things are going to happen. (thumbsdown)  
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Leviathan

Opu In Danger!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »
This is intresting. Dam US laws.. very stupid.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:25:09 PM »
never thought I would agree with Ted Kennedy lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

Opu In Danger!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:29:33 PM »
All your internet are belong to us.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:41:23 PM »
This has been a threat for quite a while. But yeah, if this happens, along with DRM, computers will become completely useless.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 05:03:29 PM »
Funny that people think you REALLY have to bow down to these big corporations. We aren't controlled by them and there are always alternatives.

Furthermore both this and hardware DRM are unreasonable ideas. Consider that one company doesn't have exclusive transport for any one person's packets in the US for internet (due to the way internet routing).

On the other hand, if it is done at the ISP level then it can become a problem. Even then, you can still switch ISPs (and undoubtably more ISPs could spring up as a result of anything like this). Furthermore, if nothing is done here, agencies outside the US will definitely put the pressure on these companies (like the EU) since they would probably be affected as well.

Also, most people do not host a webserver on their own (nor do we). Most are hosted by servers in datacenters and thus it might be up to the datacenter company to pay for 'faster access' for their IP block. (Which reminds me: what would Internet authorities such as ICANN, IANA, etc think about these rules? The power they hold would easily allow them to penalize companies that do things this way, if they didn't agree with the companies in the first place. For example they control IP address allocations. Simple solution: hand out less IP's to <insert corporation here>). Thus the individual servers / websites might not notice any difference.

Hardware DRM (somewhat off topic but it belongs in the same realm) is unreasonable since there is already so much hardware out there that wouldn't support their DRM standard (which would lead to really pissing off the consumer). Also nothing stops us from buying hardware from a manufacturer not in this DRM circle.

Besides, I think some companies are starting to see the light that DRM really does nothing to prevent 'piracy.' I did read somewhere that Yahoo Music is considering (if they haven't done this already) releasing songs in regular MP3 format instead of some other DRM'ed standard simply because they know people are going to want to put the song on their iPod or whatever, and can just break the protection anyway.

It is all major speculation and frankly I don't think it is at all realistic. There are too many barriers a few major companies would have to break down in order for their plan to succeed (if such a plan really exists. A few quotes on a site aren't convincing enough for me, since what people (or corporations) say and what they do are often two widely different things).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 05:06:28 PM by op2hacker »

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:36:45 PM »
Call every SENATOR for GREAT JUSTICE.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:58:25 PM »
its just another group of middle age middle income people that came together to make s*** like this out in the public because there the morons that believe this would solve most of the problems of the world and not corrupt there children lol.  Its all pointless bulls***  

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Opu In Danger!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 01:17:44 AM »
Its also alarmist crap. I can see how it applies to OPU since its on the internet, but it doesnt directly threaten us. Besides theres nothing we can do about it anyway. Even if all of OPU banded together we would only come out to a couple hundred people and the only kinds of numbers senators pay attention to are upper thousands. Electronic signatures and messages on their secretary's phone wont make a big difference. Most people dont care enough to voice themselves.