Author Topic: Mettle  (Read 10756 times)

Offline edencomander

Mettle
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:33:07 AM »
We should show what tipe of mettle eden and plymouth are.Eden should be titaenum and plymouth should be coper.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 12:54:26 PM »
excuse me what.  The units are painted Gray or Brown with the colonly colors.  Titanium and Copper are both not the greatest metals for a vec
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 12:55:54 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Mettle
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
titanium for its weight and copper for it's weakness, lol
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »
yea, the units and buildings are different colors because they are painted differently

plus copper is a soft metal, if they tried building a vec out of pure copper, it would cave in on itself lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:18:56 PM »
Not to mention that if any weapon hit it, it'd be toast (copper is very easy to burn through).

Titanium: It's a rare metal.. not something you would get very easily.

But yes, they painted their vehicles. Read the novella, it talks about that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 04:20:10 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 04:20:21 PM »
Titaium is lite weight but i dont think its very good by itself.  Lets just use depleted uranium armor lol

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mettle
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »
The properties of Titanium are often confused due to poor US public school science classes (my teacher thought it was called titanium because a bit of it weighed more than usual). Titanium gets its notoriety in manufacturing because it is very resistant to corrosion and attack by acids. It is actually very malleable in its pure state and you can shape Titanium with a hammer.

A good way to tell if someone knows their facts on titanium is to ask them about its color. Alot of people will say titanium is yellow, when in fact pure titanium is white. the gold metal seen in manifacturing is actually an alloy which contains titanium. Titanium really shows its properties in alloys where its beneficial properties add to the overall strength of the metal. Usually the purpose of adding titanium to an alloy is to give the final material resistance to corrosion and acid. This is necessary in aircraft, etc.

Titanium is not as dense or as strong as various forms of steel and is actually better compared with aluminum. By comparison, Titanium is twice as dense as aluminum and one third stronger. Whereas titanium has one third the density of steel and half the strength.

In other words, if you build a chest plate out of titanium and someone shot you, it wouldnt protect you. If you build a vehicle out of titanium, it would gradually sag over time. While titanium has a relatively high melting point, it would certainly behave like warm taffy in the interim.

I always had a difficult time explaining to people in school (and even teachers!) that the strongest metals on earth are alloys NOT TITANIUM.

Offline edencomander

Mettle
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 09:14:45 PM »
Titanum is from a melted UFO.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:21:35 PM »
ok, we like to keep at least a waist level IQ on these forums
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
the strongest metal is depleted uranium lol

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mettle
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 02:48:40 AM »
because of its density, and not because its "strongest" overall. It is one of the hardest metals that can be shaped. it does come apart, in fact thats the point. depleted uranium tank shells are strong enough to withstand penetrating the armor of another tank or etc, but in the process so much energy is released with no place to go that the shell is turned into a plasma just as the shell breaks thru the armor to the interior of the vehicle or whatever. personnel are horribly burned, crushed by concussive force and overwise blow'd up.

however, i recently heard that people have made a form of carbon 10x stronger than natural diamond in the lab. i never found any details other than that. interesting if true.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »
LOL synthectic diamond projectiles now that would hurt

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 07:39:28 AM »
Yeah, I would imagine that if you made your tanks out of uranium, once they got hit you'd have a real problem on your hands (consider that even though it is depleted it still contains a lot of fissionable uranium). Like Horus said it'd release a lot of energy when it got hit (reactive armor maybe?) but not very safe.

Although that's not a major consideration since people don't generally ride inside the vehicles.

As for alloys, right.. A pure metal is going to cause problems (either it's too malleable, or weak, or reacts with stuff in the atmosphere, etc). where an alloy you can get the best properties of 2 or more types of metals.

By the way.. why are we even discussing what metals vehicles should be made out of anyway?  :huh:  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 09:34:38 AM »
because it was a dumb topic that gave people some thing to discuss lol and much like the irc convos its keeps changing direction  

Offline edencomander

Mettle
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 10:20:25 AM »
Cool crystle amo.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 10:23:32 AM »
Que?

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mettle
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »
edencommander, how old are you and where are you from?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
Yeah, I was kinda wondering the same thing.. and what does a 'melted UFO' have to do with this topic?

Offline edencomander

Mettle
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
titanum

Offline Tramis

Mettle
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 01:22:45 PM »
>_>
yeah...

Actually if you heat-treat titanium, it will have far greater strength than steel - usually.  It all depends on what alloy you're using.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mettle
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 06:15:53 PM »
Thats called tempering.

Oh and depleted uranium isnt radioactive at all and doesnt affect its usefulness as a weapon. Its simply really super dense.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mettle
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »
ya its fun stuff they used it in tanks shell for the abrams at one point

Offline Tramis

Mettle
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 04:50:12 PM »
Actually they still make bullets out of it for smallarms - and no, it isn't radioactive, that's why it's called "depleted" uranium.  

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mettle
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 07:36:29 PM »
Yep. As well as anti-vehicle sniper rifles. PWNAGE!

NO MORE METTLE TOOBS!!!

Offline Skydock Command

Mettle
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 02:38:04 PM »
Titanum is from a melted UFO.
What are you talking about? Thats just plain crazy. Isnt this the economy section anyway? Why are we talking about what were going to make the stuff out of?
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.