Author Topic: Mobile Guard Post  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Combine Crusier

Mobile Guard Post
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »
ARRRRRR.

Yes yes yes. I know that there was something like this in Tiberian Sun but this is way different. (Never had the original C&C though so that's why the mobile mining platform incident occured)

Anyhow I was thinking that when people in the single player campain or in a multi player game that's going badly you might want to be able to move your defensive systems to a new position while keeping your tanks available. This is what I (bold, triple underline) thought of for a suggestion.

statistics: All
Defender: Packed
HP: 240
Armor: Light
Speed: Fast
FP:Unpack systems to make a temporary Guard Post
Common Ore: N/A
Rare Ore: N/A

Defensive Post:
HP: 480
Armor: Heavy
Speed: immobile
FP: 1 Gun: Any weapons system except Kamikaze systems
SFP: Over-Charge Weapon: +300% FP -150% ROF -120 HP
+10% Damage when connected to a CC
FREE!!!!! Except the need for a Defender to be built

Goods:
A. Mobile when unpacked
B. Can be reused (unpacks AND packs)
C. No power requirements
D. Can be fully repaired as a structure or a vehicle
E. Good for relocating your defensive forces to cope with new threats
F. Can get to positions fast due to a high top speed
G. Excellent during base relocations and you have little time before an attack happens
H. Almost as strong in armor an HP as a standard Guard Post
I. Long LOS due to advanced sensor systems
J. Warns of incoming hostile vehicles
K. Capable of over-charging weapon doing extremly high amounts of damage

Bad:
A. Does damage to self when weapon is over-charged
B. Reduced ROF when weapon is over-charged
C. Light armor when packed
D. Fewer HP than a standard Guard Post
E. Unarmed when packed

Hey if your moving your colony you might as well take everything you can with you. Also you probably would want a defensive placement to hold out from attacks until your big guns arrive. Say... It's also good for cutting of enemy attack routes and can retreat when an overwhelming force is spotted.
Fire at will!

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »
i don't know but... aren't ConVechs used to do those things? My oppinion is that we don't need mobile GP. We got armed vechs for that.
and for "Excellent during base relocations and you have little time before an attack happens", it's very rare.
My opinion: I think we don't need M-GP's.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:43:03 AM »
Tiger is a mobile guard post.

Having this would only make people spam these instead of vecs Run them in the enemy base and deploy them

Offline Combine Crusier

Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 08:19:35 AM »
TIGERS!!!!!!!! TIGERS!!!!!!!!! Tigers are big slow lummbering tanks. And why would you run these into an enemy base when they have light armor when packed! I mean that's ******! And convec's can't turn guard posts back into structure kits and rebiuld them when the tactical situation changes. Look if the enemy launches an attack from one direction these could move there, setup and repel them, then they could move to another position and repel any other attacks from any other directions. Quiet simply these vehicles are Extremely adaptable to hostile situations.
Fire at will!

Offline Savant 231-A

Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:54 AM »
TIGERS!!!!!!!! TIGERS!!!!!!!!! Tigers are big slow lummbering tanks.
And what do you think how much M-GP's should weight? lol

ook if the enemy launches an attack from one direction these could move there, setup and repel them, then they could move to another position and repel any other attacks from any other directions.
By the word of all forumites here, Panther is an ultimate defense vech. It has speed, and armour to quickly move to another place and shoot the bad guys.

And why would you run these into an enemy base when they have light armor when packed!

How do they have light armour whe moving? Do they change their armour or what? The armour when it is packed should stay the same when it is unpacked. And that i think is heavy.

A. Does damage to self when weapon is over-charged

I just noticed this. If it does over-charge, and GP are powered from power plants, wouldn't it do some damage to the power system?

And now while reading these. If you indeed move GP somewhere else, let's say, a very long a way from base, wouldn't the power go off? As i can rember tokamak and other power plants use microwave emitting (edit me if I am wrong) to power buildings.

"Come here citizen."

Offline White Claw

Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »
Power structures do use microwaves to emit their energy to buildings. However, in game there is not range limit (this has been addressed in the Power section of OP3 forum).

C. No power requirements
This seems odd. Every other structure in OP2 uses power. Why would a modified GP be any different? Is this so it is mobile? Now you have pretty much made yourself another vech class that cannot fire on the move and must deploy. Not a bad idea in theory, but I don't think it would pass off as a GP.

I also don't see why the HP would change. You could maybe argue a downgrade to the armor because it wouldn't be "entrenched" and perhaps because some vital deployment systems might be exposed while it's mobile.

All in all, I don't think this is a bad idea, but I'm still on the fence. Seems like more micro management if I have to uproot my mobile defence perimeter to move it to the other side of my base. On the other hand, as my base expands, I can move the "GPs" accordingly.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »
Why would i run them in your base and deploy them because with enough numbers of them i could jam them down any ones throat and force them to swallow.

Tiger are big and lumbering but they move and can fire while moving have a Defence that cant fire while moving but is suppose to protect a moving convoy doesnt make sence. A detatchment of tigers with a convoy would be better in my opinion.  In the world of armored combat thing that deploy are things that can fire from a very long ways away and then undeploy and move to a new location.  They do not follow convoys unless they themselfs are part of them they have units that can move and fire.  If a mobile defence cant move to counter another detatchment of units then it will just be circumvented and your convoy will die.  tiger will never chase after a convoy but if they start with the convoy they can protect the convoy from the faster units like the lynx which would be the prefered unit to attack vital units that are on the move.  Tigers can take lynx easy  Panthers would be a better choice to use as they are faster then tigers.  Lynx arent good to protect a convoy as they are weak.

Hey if your moving your colony you might as well take everything you can with you. Also you probably would want a defensive placement to hold out from attacks until your big guns arrive. Say... It's also good for cutting of enemy attack routes and can retreat when an overwhelming force is spotted

IF you are at the point of moving your colony you take every thing even the vecs with you.  Now if your talking about starting a new base else where to help with mining or some thing then you send a small detatchment with them.

Offline Combine Crusier

Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »
AHHHHHHh. But this Defensive Post doesn't use colony power supplies because it uses the vehicles power plant.

Also the reason it has light armor when packed is because the Defensive Post components themselves are inside the vehicle. When the vehicle unpacks the outer-casing becomes the bottom of the Defensive Post. The reason that the vehicle unpacks like this is to reduce the damage transfered to the Defensive Post when the vehicle unpacks. Also the reason the statistics change is because if the mobile vehicle part is destroyed then the Defensive Post parts become scattered. So it's kind of like a Robo Miner.

To answer what the GP's weigh is simple.... look at a ConVec. Sorry if that statement seems rude.

Yes... You can reuse these as your base expands so you don't have to leave guard posts in the middle of your colony. Interesting.

(If you don't need Mobile Defensive Posts then why do people want guard posts at all, why not just take them out of the ******* game then! Why! Based on what I can interprit on what Savant 231-A is saying we shouldn't even have guard posts! Hey why don't we just scrap the mobile vehicles too an just use
Dooms Day Nukes!!!!! Or better yet we could just set the planets star super nova what do you think of that ehhhh!!!! WELL! WELL!   I was Annoyed when this was typed.)

Wow did I just type that! No offense to anyone reading this.

The point is.... if your going to use guard posts why not make them reusable so you don't have to leave them there or GORF them.
Fire at will!

Offline Savant 231-A

Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »
(If you don't need Mobile Defensive Posts then why do people want guard posts at all, why not just take them out of the ******* game then! Why! Based on what I can interprit on what Savant 231-A is saying we shouldn't even have guard posts! Hey why don't we just scrap the mobile vehicles too an just use
Dooms Day Nukes!!!!! Or better yet we could just set the planets star super nova what do you think of that ehhhh!!!! WELL! WELL!   I was Annoyed when this was typed.)
I did not say, and i was not pointing to this direction of "not having Gp'2s".
Now, GP were made to defend mines and base, and tiger could serve as a GP, but the only thing is that it costs more and is mobile.
mmm.... how to explain this.
GP's are immobile , repair-able, (something can repair them) and are used to defend something that surely isn't going to move,
While panthers and tigers are used to defend convoys, cargo truck, while they are towing from : mine - smetler or smetler - mine.

Now get it?
I just don't get it why is M-GP good. Tiger takes a role of M-GP. And GP IS a GP.

Now i know that I'm spitting almost on every one of your ideas, but some ideas just not fit here, while others fit.
Your head keeps producing ideas, but they need to be op-ish , or else Outpost 3 won't be Outpost 3. Get it?

Do not get offended. When someone says "I don't like it" you try to improvise and try to add/remove that component.

Lol. Don't get me wrong dude, But try harder, think harder. And if you don't like your idea, hell, scrap it out and make a new one.

OK?
"Come here citizen."

Offline zanco

Mobile Guard Post
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 01:41:16 PM »
*cough* *cough* being a little tough there, aren't we Savant 231-A?
Once again, thanks for coming up with ideas, but as other said above, Outpost 2 already has some kind of "mobile Guard Post" they are Just Lynx, Panther and Tiger.

Thanks again, and Please, don't be at all offended.
I am waiting for more ideas  ;)

However, topic closed!

edit: got the wrong nick
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:20:08 PM by zanco »
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"