Author Topic: Irc Server  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Irc Server
« on: August 05, 2006, 07:56:35 AM »
Lately we have been having connection problems on our new IRC network such as people being dropped or getting kicked off. It has come to my attention that the servers we are using do not have the most reliable connection. So, I went and got an IRC VPS just for hosting our IRC network.
The change is already in effect and you will never notice it happen. So far it looks to be a much better connection with lower pings and faster hardware. It's located in Houston, TX. If there are any issues concerning this, please bring them up.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Irc Server
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »
Holy crap! my ping is 17ms atm!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Chandler

Irc Server
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:51:04 PM »
Holy crap! my ping is 17ms atm!!!
Your avatar suits that post perfectly, Stormy...
Chandler

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »
The change is fully complete.

Hopefully it's more responsive as all irc services are running on Linux (we had one win server 2003 machine before).

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Irc Server
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:48:30 PM »
ive been having problems connecting when i start mirc. it says my connection can not be established. i hate having to use web based.

Offline wizisi2k

Irc Server
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:22:48 PM »
ive been having problems connecting when i start mirc. it says my connection can not be established. i hate having to use web based.
I am having the same problem using the NNS client it keeps saying connection refused.  maybe it could be the IP adress we are using to connect to

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 09:27:19 PM »
I am having the same problem using the NNS client it keeps saying connection refused.  maybe it could be the IP adress we are using to connect to
Connect to: irc.outpostuniverse.net
Ports 6667-6669

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 04:02:22 PM »
I'll recheck the IRC download settings - as far as I know it should be set to 'irc.outpostuniverse.net'.

If you are having problems connecting try entering the line:
/server irc.outpostuniverse.net:6667 in your irc client.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 07:12:07 PM »
the server worked fine for me, than all of a sudden it wont let me on, it simply says connection refused, ive tried the other things putting in /server irc.outpostuniverse.net:6667, I tried doing port forwarding for those ports, still nothing, whats going on?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32:09 AM »
Well, port forwarding wouldn't matter since it's outbound data.

I would remove the forwarding since it could be a small security risk (you only need to forward the ports if you were to run an irc server on your home computer).

Is it possible that your ISP has started blocking IRC?
Are any firewalls in place?

Can you connect to any other IRC network?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:32:43 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Leviathan

Irc Server
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:44:51 AM »
He was on QuakeNet.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 01:57:19 PM »
I've been thinking about installing CGI:IRC on the same machine as the irc server, that way people can logon to our server if they have connection problems. (Easy way around corporate or school firewall to use IRC as well).

Offline Sl0vi

Irc Server
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 04:33:47 PM »
Would just like to give some positive feedback, the server is working fantastic for me. It used to take me around 30 sec to connect, now it takes just about 1 sec  :blink: Also haven't noticed any lag while on. We owe Galactic a big thanks :D
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Chandler

Irc Server
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 09:30:49 PM »
Ya. I wasn't round long enough to comment bout the old QNet serv, but this new serv works fine for me :D

No probs at all :ph34r:  
Chandler

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »
NOTE TO EVERYONE:

There will be scheduled downtime on the IRC server for maintenance between the hours of about 8:00-9:30 AM EDT (GMT-5) on Thursday, August 17, 2006.

If you are connected during that time, be prepared for disconnects of any type during that time period. The maintenance task to be done shouldn't take any longer than about 15-30 minutes, however it will happen during that time period; we will send global /notices to indicate when the outages will occur.

Hopefully, this is the only (scheduled) downtime we'll have to have for a while. (Just some loose ends I want to get cleaned up since we're on the new machine and I haven't been around for the previous 3 weeks).

If anything comes up that prevents it from being done in this 1 1/2 hour time block (again, unlikely) the downtime will not happen.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:32:48 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »
its weard, I was able to get on the old server for a few minutes before, than it kicked me off and I havent been able to get back on

I uninstalled irc and installed a new version, and my firewall popped up asking if I wanted to let it though, I said yes of corse, so I know its not the firewall, but I still cant connect to the server

also with the port forwarding, I deleated it as soon as I tried it and it didnt work

man this suxxors
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 03:50:52 PM »
I've installed a CGI:IRC on the server where the IRC server is, to help people like Betaray as well as others who need it.

It works different from other IRC clients by making a connection to the IRC server from the web server, rather than from your computer directly to the IRC server.

Thus it's basically an HTML IRC client. Yes, it looks pretty nasty but at least it makes it possible to get on IRC where no other solution works.

I don't want to give out the URL publicly on the forum since we have limited resources (CGI IRC is very processor and memory intensive), but if you have problems feel free to ask for it if no other solution will work.

Beta: I've PMed you with the information.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:52:57 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Leviathan

Irc Server
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 04:42:25 PM »
Good work and thanks :)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Irc Server
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 06:31:09 PM »
yes, thank you very much