Author Topic: Really Really Bad Colony Glitch  (Read 2662 times)

Offline The_Hypno_Toad

Really Really Bad Colony Glitch
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:49:10 PM »
okay so im new but anyway, i have a serious problem. I've been playing this game for years now and something bad always happens. Plymouth Colony Easy. First I move the entire city to the south to avoid the lava flows and the enemy units. things go well i get about 350 or so colonists, the this happens. 30 Workers 25 Scientists 10 Children have died. this happens about 4 times and i get the You Have Failed message :(  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »
You probably ran out of food.

Offline Sl0vi

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »
Yeah, sounds alot like starvation. Colonists tend to die very fast when your out of food.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 07:56:54 PM »
Yeah, you need more agris. That, or an Advanced Lab is exploding and killing everyone.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Chandler

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:24:38 PM »
Yeah, sounds alot like starvation. Colonists tend to die very fast when your out of food.
One question I have about starvation. Why do all your people die, should enough die to stabilise food production. I mean, you're still growing food, just not enough for everyone, so enough people should die to get a population that is sustainable with your food production?
Chandler

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 10:05:12 PM »
that would make sense but the games I have played never worked out that way.
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline The_Hypno_Toad

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 11:26:26 PM »
well i've also heard of a glitch from outpost 1 mabey its here too, where if one builds too many residences some kind of redunancy error happans I got it from wiki:

"Sometimes, players will find the colonists on the planet dying en masse unexpectedly , thus causing the game to end when everyone has died. The colonists' death rate during this occurrence is one of exponential growth, following the equation 2^n, where n is the number of turns passed since the widespread death bug began.

The algorithm to calculate recyclable resources was also exploitable. If one built enough residential units, the resulting recyclables produced by the colony would be more than the resources going into the colony."

do you think that would cause it?

Offline The_Hypno_Toad

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 11:27:43 PM »
and when this happens i check the agridomes and i have 5000+ units of food

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 03:34:06 AM »
Are you playing Plymouth Population OR Starship OR Coldwar ?

Plymouth Colony I have never played, so I have no idea what your talking about..?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Tramis

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 03:40:33 AM »
I think the reason that they ALL die, is that by the time the population is stable for the food level, generally so many have died that the Agridomes are disabled from lack of workers.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 06:47:50 AM »
I had a similar problem once: I relocated my Colony to the south, but there where so many disasters that easily 100 Colonists died after a vortex went straight through my Base and that happened about 5-10 times before I had enough population to win the game.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
If you're doing any (Dynamix) colony game on Easy, you should never have to evacuate your colony...
Maybe build a mining outpost...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
it may be connected to morale. i know that i have experienced this problem but only in very specific situations and is difficult to reproduce, at least for me. it may be some sort of loophole that causes an error in game math. I dont really know.

the death rate of colonists does open up room for food and should stabilize but again, the effect of low morale due to colonist death usually forces the death rate to continue beyond the starvation threshold. build more morale structures like medical centers, agridomes, entertainment centers and forums. in my experience, i find that 2 agridomes per residence at 80%-90% capacity provides good food coverage.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 08:59:32 PM »
If you're doing any (Dynamix) colony game on Easy, you should never have to evacuate your colony...
Maybe build a mining outpost...
Plymouth Starship (not II), you have to evacuate.

Offline Tramis

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 03:02:27 AM »
No you don't.  The lava will stop just short of your base - just build to the right and left of your base, but not to the north or south, and you will be fine.  In fact, it serves as an excellent wall if you place your Guard Posts well enough.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »
On Easy they only send Scouts at you.