Author Topic: Underground Expansion  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Tramis

Underground Expansion
« on: July 26, 2006, 02:51:44 AM »
Not the same as building underground, this would mean that a structure has expanded underground.  If you do this, it costs extra time and resources, but once completed, colonists inside have an increased chance to not die if the structure is destroyed (they escape to the underground section), and the storage capacity for some structures (smelter, storage tanks, spaceport, garage, structure factory) is increased.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Underground Expansion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:43:44 PM »
As far as implementation, it would be kind of easy, just add a button to the building with the cost in ore and time and the player would it it and it would expand.  (I assume).

Here is my concern.  If expanding underground just takes time and ore, and costs less to expand per unit (being people, ore capacity, etc) than to build a new structure, then the player will always opt to expand the structure over building a new building, so why have the feature?

If expanding underground costs more to expand per unit stored than a new building, then players wont use the feature and just build a new building.

The important crux of the issue, as presented by the OP, is the ability for colonists to survive if the building is destroyed.  I think that this is the focus of playbalacing this idea, if it is to enter in game -- how detramental losing colonists vs the cost needed to help save them from attack.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Underground Expansion
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:37:13 PM »
As far as i know you build a foundation with the basement then put the building on it.  Removing the ground from under a building is very risky.  the building could collasp on you or could sink into the hole.

I would think that you could only expand once and that is it.  But really that is what the Common Ore Storage is a expansion of your over all ore capacity and that is just a big tank on the ground digging under it doesnt seem logical.  

If a building is blown up on a planet with a hostile atmosphere the underground portion is going to be exposed rather quickly.

Offline Skydock Command

Underground Expansion
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »
Have the underground section requested as it is being built then. And we could have the underground part sealed seconds before decompression as a safty feature.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.