Author Topic: Suggestion!  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Gagagigo3

Suggestion!
« on: July 10, 2006, 06:51:37 AM »
You know, i love using the OP2 mapper but there is 1 small point, you have to continually choose the terrain ops normal highway and that other one. it should be much easier is al that things were already programmed in the tiles.
Extinction is just the beginning.

Check this out, it rocks

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Suggestion!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »
you have an older version...the newer one has the terrain as a seperate menu.  You can't program the modes into the tiles, as they are just images.  If you were to try to program it in, so many errors could come up.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Suggestion!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:13:03 AM »
Well, I was thinking for the next version of the mapper, perhaps I'll have something that can automatically associate the cell type with the graphics.. that way when the user places a cliff it gets the appropriate cell type.

The only problem with this, is the default selection for celltype that the program makes might not be what the user wants. Also, it wouldn't be able to do it on new tilesets unless there was some sort of list to associate the celltypes with the tiles.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Suggestion!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 12:40:22 PM »
The only problem with this, is the default selection for celltype that the program makes might not be what the user wants. Also, it wouldn't be able to do it on new tilesets unless there was some sort of list to associate the celltypes with the tiles.
Then they can change it afterward, and people could just make lists.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Suggestion!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »
maybe program in a selction list with cell modes on different settings.  Could you imagine playing on a map with the terrain modes inverted?
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Suggestion!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
There are a few cliff tiles with half cliff, half flat terrain. In some caes I want these passable in some cases not.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Suggestion!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:28:32 PM »
I looked into this a while back actually. I tried scanning all the original maps and seeing what cell types each tile was associated with. The results were ambiguous. Some tiles had many different cell types associated with them, and there was no clear way to automatically choose a "correct" one to set as the default. Another problem is that some tiles were never used in the original maps and so they had no cell type associated with them.

And yeah, new tile sets would need new data. Plus, the tileset and map files aren't structured to store this data, so you'd probably end up with another external file format, which is just a pain and kinda ugly. But then taking it onto say the tileset files would also be ugly at this point.

But you're right. There does need to be some way to automatically associate a tile with a cell type. I guess you could use the above method to get started, and then just have someone with too much time on their hands verify correct choices and deal with the ambiguities. The default tiles sets only have about 2000 tiles. It's a fair bit, but still doable by hand.