Author Topic: Weather Ideas  (Read 3561 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Weather Ideas
« on: July 16, 2006, 05:43:48 PM »
Here, I'll list various types of weather that have been thought of (and maybe even planned out and discussed... just maybe).

Precipitation: You would never expect this one. I mean, how could you ever imagine rain, snow, sleet, or hail (maybe)? Of course, it could be more than just a visual effect, like rain might make vehicles slip around more (... I doubt it, unless 1 FPS due to physics eating everyone's CPU is considered playable...), hail could possibly do some minor damage to units, acid rain could dissolve armor. There could be flooding and perhaps even hurricanes as well.

Dust and sand storms: Like what happens on Mars often, or when hillbilly farmers decided to farm the hell out of the US Great Plains. It can also be an electrostatic hell, and you might lose contact with units inside of one of these.

Ash eruptions: Not every volcano is merely a shield volcano. They can often spew ash, and when they do, you can expect unprotected units (and people) to get damaged and scorched. Not to mention they can slow things down in general.

Electrical storms: You're familiar with these from Outpost 2... you know, the storm clouds that go in a straight line across your base and cause you to repair a million things and pull your hair out. They'll be bigger than those small isolated clouds previously in OP2. Though, you might be able to benefit from them by converting the electrical discarges into usable energy and storing it. However, you likely won't be encountering these nearly as much on most planets, considering they're geologically stable (or at least mostly).

Vortexes: And you know these things all too well. The ones that pop up on all of your Command Centers every 10 marks and cause you to fail due to their desire to RIP AND TEAR. They're back, and will range in size this time. Again, you won't be encountering these as often as back on New Terra on most planets, though they can be there.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weather Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 07:43:10 PM »
The armor on the units would repell most hail unless its the size of a basket ball

And Acid rain only occures when there is pollution in the atmosphere.  Or if your on a planet like venus but your gravity would have to be heavy for the dropplets over come the updraft from the surface

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Weather Ideas
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
The armor on the units would repell most hail unless its the size of a basket ball
Most units. Still need to keep the others in mind.

And Acid rain only occures when there is pollution in the atmosphere.  Or if your on a planet like venus but your gravity would have to be heavy for the dropplets over come the updraft from the surface
And there just might be a planet like that.

Offline Chandler

Weather Ideas
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 09:12:01 PM »
Precipitation: You would never expect this one. I mean, how could you ever imagine rain, snow, sleet, or hail (maybe)? Of course, it could be more than just a visual effect, like rain might make vehicles slip around more (... I doubt it, unless 1 FPS due to physics eating everyone's CPU is considered playable...), hail could possibly do some minor damage to units, acid rain could dissolve armor. There could be flooding and perhaps even hurricanes as well.
Perhaps have units slow down (as per night with no headlights), the degree of grandma-ness determined by the heaviness of the rain/snow/etc.
Chandler

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Weather Ideas
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 06:54:48 PM »
how bout these:

Barometric pressure: this causes wind that can speed up or slow down units. this also creates zones of high and low pressure, increasing the probability of duststorms or thunderstorms.

Humidity and tempature:
very humid and sweltering: morale falls, power demand increases (A/C demands), hurricaines occur
very humid and hot: morale trips slightly, and chance of rain increases
not humid but hot: morale raises a little (Beach weather!)
not humid nor hot: morale stays the same
not humid but cold: morale goes up (Who doesnt love frost?), vehicles move at their fastest
very humid and cold: morale drops a little, some chance of vehicles freezing up
very humid and Freezing: morale falls, power demand increases, blizzards occur

this will give you some indicaton of what the weather will be like.
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline Sirbomber

Weather Ideas
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 07:25:53 AM »
...Colonists do not have "beach days" or use air conditioners.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials