Author Topic: Military Rlvs  (Read 4349 times)

Offline Tramis

Military Rlvs
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »
Military RLVs

Related ideas:

- Customizable Starship

Description:

eden could develop a second version of their RLV, which would be like a dropship, you could put up to 2 Lynx, or 1 Panther inside it.  It would be built, you put the vehicles on the dock and load them inside the Spaceport, then launch, land somewhere, drop off its payload, then leave.  Plymouth could have a version that instead of landing (they never really got the RLV to work well, you remember), it would drop up to say, 6 arachnids or 1 Lynx and drop them like paratroopers, then go somewhere to crash and blow up.

This is a good idea, because:

- opens up all sorts of tactical opportunities for both sides

This is a bad idea, because:

-may need additional spaceports to launch the dropship and put the starship up at the same time - maybe smaller launchpads for Eden that wouldn't be able to build stuff, except rockets, and launch them, and you'd have to put the payloads in using Cargo Trucks and Docks (finally make it useful to put starship parts into the trucks)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Military Rlvs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 11:49:29 AM »
I sorta like this idea, it gives it a different 'twist' of sorts.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Military Rlvs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 11:59:19 AM »
that would be a large expendature of ore to transport a small amount of units
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Axalon

Military Rlvs
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:16:24 PM »
Well, it wouldn't be bad for the RLV, because its reusable, though the SULV would be somewhat troublesome.

Maybe Plymouth can have this giant cannon that shoots units far away. :D

Offline Tramis

Military Rlvs
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 01:34:31 AM »
Or since it doesn't have to leave the atmosphere, they could develop a cut-down version that's cheaper.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Military Rlvs
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 10:47:51 PM »
This would be a VERY bad idea.  If a missile can bring down terror and destruction by eden to a plymouth base its all over plymouth has no way to stop a incoming missile or meteor.  And see how some people used the EMP missile people would Rush the development of this just so they could land a s*** load of panthers or lynx right next to some ones CC.  That like handing some one a box of matches and firecracks and telling them they cant use them to make a bang.  Things are bad enough with the EMP missile.  A missile that can bring thing in to destroy things might as well call it a nuke and slap a radioactive sticker one it.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Military Rlvs
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
i agree. cold fusion is common in the game so why would the colony expend all the effort and resources to drop off a few lynx when they could load up a cheap nuke and call off the war in a day?

besides the fact that you would have to come up with a way to justify the technology, the need and the scale. (missiles are half the width of a lynx)

Offline Tramis

Military Rlvs
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:27:12 PM »
Nuclear weapons would be an insanely extreme measure, considering how close Humanity has come to annihilation in the past.  They don't want to wipe each other out, usually either.  If you look at the campaign games, usually they're fighting because one colony has something the other wants.

And as for balance, it wouldn't be able to hold a lot, just 1-2 lynx, 4-6 scorpions or MAYBE 1 panther.  Also, who says the missile would be the same size as a SULV?  Look at an RLV, thats plenty wide enough for a few Lynx.

Offline gamerscd0

Military Rlvs
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »
This could work and

Freeza-CII     Posted on Jul 6 2006, 10:47 PM
     This would be a VERY bad idea. If a missile can bring down terror and destruction by eden to a plymouth base its all over plymouth has no way to stop a incoming missile or meteor. And see how some people used the EMP missile people would Rush the development of this just so they could land a s*** load of panthers or lynx right next to some ones CC. That like handing some one a box of matches and firecracks and telling them they cant use them to make a bang. Things are bad enough with the EMP missile. A missile that can bring thing in to destroy things might as well call it a nuke and slap a radioactive sticker one it.

not true a meteor defence thing can shoot down missles and rlv slvs so this my be a good idea after all

note you also could use this to trade ore and vehicles to frendly players
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:48:15 PM by gamerscd0 »

Offline omagaalpha

Military Rlvs
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »
1-2 lynx, 4-6 scorpions or MAYBE 1 panther.
Come on those would not do any significant damage to most structure of all to be worth while. So it would not be used that often anyway if was put in.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Military Rlvs
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »
1-2 lynx, 4-6 scorpions or MAYBE 1 panther.
Come on those would not do any significant damage to most structure of all to be worth while. So it would not be used that often anyway if was put in.
Yes they could. They could easily cripple a base. 2 starflares taken directly to a cc will disable it, ending the game. Or you could send thors to a poorly defended portion of the base and wipe most of it out before the enemy can get to them.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Military Rlvs
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:51:24 PM »
I agree with Freeza, this is a bad idea.

It would just turn the game into another C&C or Starcraft clone -- just load em up in a APC / dropship and let em out. Perhaps next we can have something like the Chronosphere in RA2.. build one and you teleport 10 units every 10 minutes (per chronosphere).

Also, how realistic is the idea? RLV's kinda need a launch pad to land, they can't just land on the dirt. Remember that an RLV is a rocket, it can't just choose a place to land without proper equipment (whereas an EMP missile can target directly but the missile is destroyed on strike). the NASA space shuttle as an example takes off like a rocket but lands like a plane, it can't just come down like a lander.

The only way you could make it work is by limiting it to non destructive weapons / vehicles such as EMP, or things like Cargo trucks, Convecs, etc. Or perhaps prevent 'landing' close to buildings (the spaces are too small for a safe landing).

All in all I think it's a bad idea which takes the fun away from the game. That's one thing about OP2 which makes it fun, you have to infiltrate the base defenses, you can't just teleport or dropship in lynx to destroy the CC.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Military Rlvs
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 12:15:33 AM »
First of all Eden could stop these with Meteor defence BUT PLYMOUTH DOESNT HAVE ONE!  Now then

Second Would you really waste a RLV to land in a enemy base just to put 2 lynx in there  seem like a big waste of resources and very unrealistic.  Plus what is going to stop any one from mass missileing people with lynx.  A lynx would fit yes.

Third a teleportation device sounds utterly ridiculous.  no matter the time restrictions on it.

the Nasa Shuttle needs a LONG ass run way to slow down by that time they would be sitting there waiting for the damn thing to land then BOOM.

in short bad idea