Author Topic: Diplomat Setting  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Tramis

Diplomat Setting
« on: July 20, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
There should be a setting for Diplomat.  If on, this would make combat vehicles 3 times as expensive, making it very costly to build huge armies.  The result would be a game revolving around good management of resources rather than "who has more tanks".  This would be especially good for Space Race, where you can make deals, like telling the players who are a ways behind "I'll give you an Ion Drive Module, if you send me 2000 rare" or something.  You can still build vehicles, but you have to be far more careful with them, and not just throw them at the other guy wantonly.

Offline Leviathan

Diplomat Setting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:19:01 AM »
i think there should be the option to turn military on or off. so in a space race you could turn it off so u cant build any military.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Diplomat Setting
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:25:13 AM »
LOL what kinda game is this lets all hold hands and sing kum by ya.  This is a war game Think Fight and Build.  Making things more expensive doesnt help because you can just set up more mines if the map allows.  All RTS games seem to be more of the war of attrition (spelling think trench battles in WW1).  And No military in a space race havent you heard of Sabotage or "Liquidating the competion"

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Diplomat Setting
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:46:05 AM »
so you want a non combat race for space, whoever has their build order memorized best wins? thats even more lame than rushing.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Diplomat Setting
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
I like the idea if:

1)  Colony management is a bit more robust than what was seen in OP2.

2) There are non militaristic ways to hinder the opposing colony's development (such as migration like in OP1 or a new espionage system)
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Diplomat Setting
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
there is a thing called to much management.  If I have to spend praticly all my time messing with management what the hell is the game worth other then a waste of time if i want to play a game like that i would go play one of the various Sim games.

Offline Tramis

Diplomat Setting
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 12:51:18 AM »
LOL what kinda game is this lets all hold hands and sing kum by ya.  This is a war game Think Fight and Build.
Actually it is a survival game, it is Build Grow and Thrive.  If it was a war game, then theyd just haul off and remove morale altogether and just make it about building more tanks.  IMO, people pay way too much attention to the combat aspect, which is pushed to the side in the storyline, and don't think about the fact that maybe, just maybe, its possible to win without murdering hundreds of innocents, which by the way, would probably annihilate your morale.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Diplomat Setting
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 04:13:13 AM »
LOL what kinda game is this lets all hold hands and sing kum by ya.  This is a war game Think Fight and Build.
Actually it is a survival game, it is Build Grow and Thrive.  If it was a war game, then theyd just haul off and remove morale altogether and just make it about building more tanks.  IMO, people pay way too much attention to the combat aspect, which is pushed to the side in the storyline, and don't think about the fact that maybe, just maybe, its possible to win without murdering hundreds of innocents, which by the way, would probably annihilate your morale.
I fully agree.
OP2 IS NOT ABOUT WAR AND OP3 WILL BE NEITHER. If someone wants to play a game about war,.. there are numerous out there, you don't have to stay here.

Offline Leviathan

Diplomat Setting
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 10:07:31 AM »
i agree. the war game is just one type of game you can have. people on won used to play B&T (build & trade) games all the time. and we have to allow that type of game to still be played. and using options to help this is even better.

making military expensive is a good idea but dosent make much sence because its metals your using to produce the tanks and they wouldnt need more to be produced. but then again saying that it dosent really matter as it dosent allways have to be realastic. its about what you get from using that option. and like you said it means you have less military.

and as for no military in space race, this is a common setting people have used for years. its pure space race setting and nothing but. and also to have the option for space race with military is good so that you can attack each other etc.

more game types the better imo.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Diplomat Setting
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:09:14 AM »
I just want to make clear that when I said more robust colony management, I ment that its more than what OP2 was (which, in my opinion, just a couple steps up from star craft), but not a full blown colony simulator like OP1.  Colony management should be something that requires some attention, especially in the early game when there is a real risk of losing not form the other players (or AI) but from poor management.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread