Author Topic: Auto Repair  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Auto Repair
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:16:45 AM »
Unit Auto Repair

this is not the unit repairing itself (its 1 in the morning and I can't think of a better name).  Basicly it is when a unit is damaged and you have an active garage the unit will have a new button, a repair button, and when pressed the unit would automaticly dock with the garage, get repaired, and go back to the position it was at before.  This would also work with groups, if you have multiple units selected, and any are damaged, you can hit the repair button, and the damaged units will move to get repaired and than join the rest of the army.

I dont know if somone already submitted this, and if they did Im sorry, I'm tired, and I wanted to post this before I went to bed and forgot about it lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Auto Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 01:09:54 AM »
sounds great.
We need more ideas like this.

Offline Leviathan

Auto Repair
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »
i like the idea.

what i think could be good is a process units command for the garage. you select a bunch of units and then click on the garage and they all go and wait near the garage and go into it and get repaired and then come out and wait in a done (repaired) location near to it.

also what you could have because the auto repair would be anoying possibly if you forget to turn it off because a unit goes into battle, gets damaged and then leaves right away. what you could have is a command on the garage to set areas where you can send units to and the garage will take them in. kinda like the service depo in red alert but intead of sending your units to the garage itsself you just send them to a location (this could be near your base or whateva) and they go into the garage then return to the location.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Auto Repair
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:24:21 PM »
i like the idea.

what i think could be good is a process units command for the garage. you select a bunch of units and then click on the garage and they all go and wait near the garage and go into it and get repaired and then come out and wait in a done (repaired) location near to it.

also what you could have because the auto repair would be anoying possibly if you forget to turn it off because a unit goes into battle, gets damaged and then leaves right away. what you could have is a command on the garage to set areas where you can send units to and the garage will take them in. kinda like the service depo in red alert but intead of sending your units to the garage itsself you just send them to a location (this could be near your base or whateva) and they go into the garage then return to the location.
I think beta's method for that works fine, I think it would be better because it works for both small armies and large.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

Auto Repair
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »
my idea would work for large armys also because you set the location of auto repair just like you select a area of terrian for dozing. you could select your whole base as the area. after battle just move your units back to your base and they will be auto repaired, into the garage and then out and back to where you moved them to.

Offline TH300

Auto Repair
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 07:07:36 AM »
I like both methods.
Its simple to just set the whole base area to auto repair, and when units are too far away, they'll just stay where they are until they receive a direct order to get repaired.

Offline Tramis

Auto Repair
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »
I dunno why there would be a repair button - Why not just use Dock. You tell the units to move to the Garage, they will automatically enter and get repaired, and then leave when they're done.

I also think it should take a little longer to repair in the garage - if I tell 3 or 4 to go in, then by the time the 4th one's loaded up, the 1st one is done, unless it was a Tiger that was extensively damaged.  Repairs should have to take a unit out of the fight for some time, instead of only costing resources (making people not throw their units into battle recklessly and making them think about their strategy
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:01:38 AM by Tramis »

Offline TH300

Auto Repair
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:49:40 PM »
I dunno why there would be a repair button - Why not just use Dock. You tell the units to move to the Garage, they will automatically enter and get repaired, and then leave when they're done.

I also think it should take a little longer to repair in the garage - if I tell 3 or 4 to go in, then by the time the 4th one's loaded up, the 1st one is done, unless it was a Tiger that was extensively damaged.  Repairs should have to take a unit out of the fight for some time, instead of only costing resources (making people not throw their units into battle recklessly and making them think about their strategy
Agreed.
Automatic repair without the units going to a garage is too un-op2'ish for op3.

Of course there will still be the option of spiders repairing vecs.

Offline Leviathan

Auto Repair
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »
of chorse the units have to enter the garage for some time untill there repaired.

what i meant was you could send your damaged units to a location away from the garage and they would auto enter the garage to be repaired and then return to that location. this would save you having to move them near to the garage and then puting each one of them in and out and then back out to your defences.

Offline Tramis

Auto Repair
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »
And I said that a better way to do that would be to simply streamline the docking process - one click and you're done.  Tell them to move to the dock and the vec does the rest, that's fast enough for me.  I don't like auto repair, because I don't trust the AI to decide when my vecs need repairing.  I don't want my vecs to run away for a Band-aid while there's still a second enemy wave inbound.

Offline Leviathan

Auto Repair
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 01:29:46 PM »
i agree, thats y i suggested a that you can set a specific area where if units are in they will auto repair, and if they are not in it they will not.

Offline Tramis

Auto Repair
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:05:42 PM »
Or turn off auto repair for individual vehicles.