Author Topic: Robot Command Center  (Read 8363 times)

Offline omagaalpha

Robot Command Center
« on: June 05, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »
Robot Command Center

Related ideas:

- Unit can have person in it

Description:

Outpost 1 it determine amount of Robot you could use. And that after so much time you had replace fuel cell of Robot.
Outpost 2 I still have no idea if it actual does any thing worth while(never notice vehicle actual move better or better logic. thru the map)

To me it is unrealist that unmaned Robot(vehicled) that Command center computer could infinite. So I think that after 50 or lower that you should need build another Robot Command Center to operater Vehicle, war vehicle. For even with vehicle that have computer in them it still till computer process from bases to operated them.

This is a good idea, because:

- make it so can't have too many vehicle at you bases with out # of building

This is a bad idea, because:

- might make player think this is  SC/WC3 clone

ok so my idea petty much throw out window so TH300 idea better
Description:

However, a variatien of omaga's idea would be the following:
you can still have infinite (i.e. the maximum number we allow) vecs in the game, but the more rccs you have, the better will your units act. Of course there'd also be some limit, so that like more than four rccs don't give you extra advantage.

In addition: we will likely allow the research of improved computers for vehicles.

since like has idea how to do the unit limit I deceid post up here
...diminishing returns be used, so (to uses bonus as an example), the first RCC would add 10%, a second one built would only add 5% bonus, the third 3%, and so on. This way there wouldn't be a mad rush to build more RCC than the other player, as having 6 vs his 5 would not benefit you as much as your 2 vs his 1.

Here is another alternative.  I do think there should be some kind of limit on the units built, but it shouldn't be the hard limit found in SC.  In theory the player can build as many vehicles as they want, but once the player passes the capacity of the RCC the effectiveness of the unit starts to degrade in a logarithmic curve, somewhat opposite of the diminishing return above.

Another add on to this is being able to turn units off like you can buildings, which opens up some interesting game play opportunities I'll blab about in another post.

This is a good idea, because:

- Rcc has noticable advandage, then without it

This is a bad idea, because:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:40:37 PM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Sirbomber

Robot Command Center
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11:28 PM »
It does tell you how many vehicles you have in the field in OP2.
It does improve pathing AI (or whatever you call it).
It is not a good idea to limit the number of vehicles we can have.
It is a VERY BAD idea.
It is also bad because we don't want OP2 to become a SC/WC3 clone. (I would shoot somebody if the Savant voice told me to build more Supply Depots/Farms/whatever)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline omagaalpha

Robot Command Center
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:20:28 PM »
lol does not sound unreasonable to me.

First ,off general rule to me is never say this other game does it so we can not do it for make us a clone of it.
Outpost 1 when, had did not make me think it was starcraft or warcraft series.
Environment that games are done in total different Environment n feel which seperate automatically to me.

Question we guys do attack mutliplayer how many war vechele do ususyly have?  For if start do 10 per one then yes it is annyoyed but like 50 not that bad.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:41:51 PM by omagaalpha »

Offline Sl0vi

Robot Command Center
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »
the whole, build more rcc's to get more units is stupid :P The RCC's equipment should be advanced enough to handle thousands of units, besides the units have their own comps, so most of the computer work would be done on the vehicles themselves.

Unless if the RCC is running crappy 70's comps ;)

edit - small typo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:08:07 PM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Robot Command Center
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »
the whole, build more rcc's to get more units is stupid :P The RCC's equipment should be advanced enough to handle thousands of units, besides the units have their own comps, so most of the computer work would be done on the vehicles themseles.

Unless if the RCC is running crappy 70's comps ;)
I mostly agree with that.

However, a variatien of omaga's idea would be the following:
you can still have infinite (i.e. the maximum number we allow) vecs in the game, but the more rccs you have, the better will your units act. Of course there'd also be some limit, so that like more than four rccs don't give you extra advantage.

In addition: we will likely allow the research of improved computers for vehicles.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 10:38:35 AM by TH300 »

Offline omagaalpha

Robot Command Center
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »
I personally like variation to it.
I put idea in orignal post and use purple make my bad idea less visble
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:07:36 AM by omagaalpha »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Robot Command Center
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 12:05:48 PM »
what about this idea, I just came up with it

gp's get a dmg boost when connected to a CC because it has a savant computer calculate the dmg for them, the RCC containes a savant so mabe it should be able to add a small dmg boost to weps on vecs?

just a thought
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sl0vi

Robot Command Center
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 12:07:28 PM »
so they do more damage because a computer calculates it??? That makes no sense to me...
!!!YAY!!!

Offline omagaalpha

Robot Command Center
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »
honestlt th300 only one came logic purpose for Robot command center. which is units more resposive with more robot command center you have.
After all also, got encode order  for yours units, so enemy can't issiue command for the unit to work for them. Also need computer power  for time to change encyption mythod on all units so enemy can't break encyption on the orders.
ooo new research tech ability to encypepted order for bases and its units.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 02:07:17 PM by omagaalpha »

Offline Sirbomber

Robot Command Center
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 02:06:03 PM »
After all also, got encode order  for yours units, so enemy can't issiue command for the unit to work for them. Also need computer power  for time to change encyption mythod on all units so enemy can't break encyption on the orders.
It already does that.
The Robot Command Center supplements the main Command Center in coordinating vehicle operations, and offers a remote assist to a vehicle's brain power.  Using a dedicated Savant-series computer and a powerful communications array that incorporates multiple layers of hardware encryption and anti-jamming circuitry, the Robot Command Center increases the piloting and navigation capability of all colony vehicles and Arachnid robots, increasing their efficiency and allowing them to operate with less human intervention. NOTE: The vehicle list, available from the Status display for the Robot Command Center, only shows those vehicles that are "in the field." Vehicles in storage at Garages are not listed here.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Robot Command Center
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »
Yeah, I don't much like the pop limits that other games place. Like others already said, of all the RTS games I've played involving computers, OP2 has the most advanced computers. (Bioinformatic systems, real AI) If the machines are this advanced I would think they should be able to control thousands upon thousands of vehicles without a problem.
Also, the vehicles still work without an RCC in normal OP2. Perhaps the normal CC controls them, or more likely (read: how it's probably going to work in the future in real life) the vehicles will create an ad-hoc network with other vehicles to prevent collisions and such. They would probably have on board maps or software that can drive them to various places without hitting something.

As for the GP connection to the CC, I think that's so more supplies can be delivered. (Extra power, ammunition, etc) rather than for a computer calculate weapon trajectory and damage.

Also, I think additional RCCs in OP2 might make the pathfinding better yet. (However, we haven't found code to really prove this).

Offline Sirbomber

Robot Command Center
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 02:06:29 PM »
The CC does control vehicles and the RCC helps when it's built.
The Robot Command Center supplements the main Command Center in coordinating vehicle operations, and offers a remote assist to a vehicle's brain power.

Offline Starfox00000

Robot Command Center
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 09:47:31 PM »
I think gp's get a damage boost when connected to a CC because they can aim better.
therefore if you have a rcc vechs getting a small damage boost would be ok, OR they could aim better (i think weapons do diffrent amount of damage based on how well the shot is aimed ie. how close it is to the center of the tile?). However, this sound like it would involve changing the .exe so im not sure how feasable any of this is.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Robot Command Center
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 10:53:59 AM »
Yeah, how close a shot lands to the unit it is aiming at determines if the unit takes damage or not. Sometimes, when two units of equal hp are in a chase, the attacking unit won't be able to damage the other unit, even though it is shooting at it.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Robot Command Center
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 02:47:15 PM »
I like that idea Mcshay, it makes a person with a smaller army have a shot at winning.... Also, the bigger the building is, the more likely it is to get a hit. I think that for the lower graphics modes, we will have the game not calculate where the weapon fire goes exactly, (as in a hit or a miss), it hits it, but it takes damage or doesn't.... That's just my take on it anyway...
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Robot Command Center
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 11:46:38 AM »
I suggest for TH300 idea that diminishing returns be used, so (to uses bonus as an example), the first RCC would add 10%, a second one built would only add 5% bonus, the third 3%, and so on. This way there wouldn't be a mad rush to build more RCC than the other player, as having 6 vs his 5 would not benefit you as much as your 2 vs his 1.

Here is another alternative.  I do think there should be some kind of limit on the units built, but it shouldn't be the hard limit found in SC.  In theory the player can build as many vehicles as they want, but once the player passes the capacity of the RCC the effectiveness of the unit starts to degrade in a logarithmic curve, somewhat opposite of the diminishing return above.

Example: RCC can handle 20 active units.  When the 21 unit goes active all units would get a 1% penalty, almost unnoticeable.  The 22nd would induce a 3% penalty to all units, 23rd another 5%, etc.

Another add on to this is being able to turn units off like you can buildings, which opens up some interesting game play opportunities I'll blab about in another post.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline omagaalpha

Robot Command Center
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
Actual idea give lot logical reason then just seting building limit to 4. So ,if th300 come by like it then add to my first post.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Robot Command Center
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 02:35:39 PM »
I suggest for TH300 idea that diminishing returns be used, so (to uses bonus as an example), the first RCC would add 10%, a second one built would only add 5% bonus, the third 3%, and so on. This way there wouldn't be a mad rush to build more RCC than the other player, as having 6 vs his 5 would not benefit you as much as your 2 vs his 1.

Here is another alternative.  I do think there should be some kind of limit on the units built, but it shouldn't be the hard limit found in SC.  In theory the player can build as many vehicles as they want, but once the player passes the capacity of the RCC the effectiveness of the unit starts to degrade in a logarithmic curve, somewhat opposite of the diminishing return above.

Example: RCC can handle 20 active units.  When the 21 unit goes active all units would get a 1% penalty, almost unnoticeable.  The 22nd would induce a 3% penalty to all units, 23rd another 5%, etc.

All good ideas that we might consider. Leave away mathematics right now though.

Offline omagaalpha

Robot Command Center
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
well add croxis idea to top post since like how propose to make indirect limit to effectiveness to the units.

Offline Tramis

Robot Command Center
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 02:39:44 AM »
Yeah, I like croxis' idea best.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Robot Command Center
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2006, 08:31:22 AM »
i think people are trying to read too much into the whole savant targeting concept. alot of the reason for the savants being so important is that they have situational or theater awareness. they have access to all data, surveillence, mapping and strategy. all a vehicle or gp can do is shoot at the first unit that comes within range, they cant "expect" a unit to come into range at -this- point and behave accordingly. savants are intelligent and like us, wouldnt point available weapons in random directions just before enemy units come into range like gp's and vehicles do.

so, it is not a matter of the savants having better computers or computing tageting faster (since targeting is nothing more than simple coordinates and firing times are always at the maximum that the mechanism can support), it is simply that the savants have the benefit of awareness and a larger pool of data to draw on.

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Robot Command Center
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »
My question to you is how would it work in gameplay?  A RCC has a 20 unit limit?  No limit?  

If there is a limit to how many machines a RCC can handle, what do we do when the limit is passed? I'm (obviously  ;) ) fond of my idea of some kind of overall effectiveness decay (which could be explained as the savant has to cycle through the units instead of being able to fully dedicate processing power to all of them).

An RCC with no limit isn't a very interesting choice because the player will have to build ONE, its just one more routine thing a player has to do.

I am VERY much for having as much realism as possible in the game, but ultimately gameplay must trump over realism if it comes into contest.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Skydock Command

Robot Command Center
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »
I agree. I think that the RCC should have a limit, but the amount of units in game should have no limit. I hate the fact in OP2 that you can only build 40.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Sirbomber

Robot Command Center
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 03:25:23 PM »
What? The lowest unit limit is somewhere in the 100's.