Author Topic: Plymoth Civil War  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Kalshion

Plymoth Civil War
« on: February 21, 2006, 11:57:34 PM »
Hope i posted in the right place

I just played this map, other than the plymouth being down right ANNOYING in the beginning (you really have to plan out what you build first, for me I was force to buidl a vehicle factory right when my structure was complete, along with three cargo trucks)

Anyway, the briefing says the base is heavily defended... I personally don't call a bunch of lynx, HEAVY. In fact, for a base thats suppose to be researching weapon system technology, it was lightly defended

Who ever made this map, I do have a few suggestions, make it so the AI replace's structures lost to either yourself or to a natural disaster (I can't remember what mark, but a metoer came in and smashed into there smelter, destroying it, the AI didn't even REPLACE it for the rest of the game

Also, have the AI build some guntowers and also use there tigers, all I had to do was send in four thor tiger's and that was it

One other thing that I found rather strange, there was only ONE rare ore deposit (a three) but no magma or geothermal pockets

I was also under the impression that this was a plymouth map, not an Eden map (And it says 'Civil War' ) This was NOT a civil war... a civil war would be a big battle of sorts, this battle lasted only twenty seconds

Offline Leviathan

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:16:05 AM »
I thought it was called Cold War?

Offline Kalshion

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:34:59 PM »
oops...

Your right it was... sorry  :heh:  

Offline Vexhare

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »
That cold war map is .... disinteresting.

Offline Jgamer

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »
No, I found it cool. What is REALLY important in beating it is researching Robot-assist Mechanics and building a Repair Vehicle as soon as you can and set also a Laser GP too, let the enemy hit the GP and then attack with the vehicles. If you keep at that you should have enough time to build your colony and soon you'll have Plymouth in your hands.
Also, I disagree with Vex, it's nice to see a map with some kind of different objective

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:56:14 AM »
I need to go through it again and make it easier at the beginning, harder near the end.

I've gotten *lots* of complaints from people saying, they can't get through it even on easy mode.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 07:56:23 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Shuffles

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 11:22:11 AM »
"Satellite scans report that the base is well armed".  The description doesn't say heavily armed.

It was a pretty fun map but I have a few comments.

1. "Plymouth will soon detect that you are operating in the area." Well no kidding, you look out the window of the plymouth smelter and you can see the eden base its like 3ft away.  I think the map needs to be extended some.  The closeness of the bases is just too close..

2.  Easy difficulty is too hard at the start, a joke later.  I had thors tigers and they were still rarely sending 1 micro lynx at me.

3. Normal is about right, probably a little too hard at the start.  I haven't passed this (I also haven't tried too hard)

4.  I assume hard difficulty is rediculous.

5. For all difficulties the plymouth base needs to improve?  Build some better tanks?  Send bigger attack waves instead of one lynx?  Any of these things.

6. One last thing to do with the map,  The mountain you are on is the most hideously annoying thing due to dumb vehicles.  Please for the love of all that is holy take the hill you are on out.  I hate having to manually work a mining route :(

Anyways, I'm sure you know about the problems anyways:
I need to go through it again and make it easier at the beginning, harder near the end.

Either way a new AI in colony games is always great to have and the mission is  bug-free for me so far.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 11:24:26 AM by Shuffles »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »
a weard problem I had with the map is when I invaded it with my main force, op2 would always crash right as my units went past the first ply mine

so than I sent in starflairs to take out the str fact (sence it does rebuild tokamoks) and use starflairs to take out all the tokamoks, after they were down, I could send my main force in with no problem

is that just a bug, or did you really make it so you had to start out with starflairs?

also this just isnt on one computer, ive tried with 2 and the result is exactly the same
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 02:38:11 PM »
I didn't really get a chance to test it a lot, I gave it to a few people for testing however.

In the little time I did test it, I set up laser GPs right outside the base, and let the plymouth units hammer on those. (It buys you some time to setup the rest of your base). You do need to be sure they get repaired though.

As for the map, I just used Eden mission 3 (eden03.map), as I am no good at map making or anything.

If someone is willing to design a better map for this mission, let me know!

Yeah, the Plymouth base needs to get better as time goes on. Again, something I didn't fine tune (I had to get it in a working state for release).

Once the map is working properly and all I plan to release full source code of it.

Offline james239

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 10:11:27 PM »
My understanding of "Cold War" is two sides that are well armed and thus there is a stalemate, with neither side willing to risk attacking forst, thus making it "cold". Since you start out with a much smaller force than plymouth, maybe it should be called "Plymouth Guerrilla War", it at least describes it a little better.

Offline Sirbomber

Plymoth Civil War
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 06:22:43 AM »
Who cares about the name anyways? Naming your map is HARD.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials