Author Topic: Old Time Outpost 2 Player  (Read 5619 times)

Offline LeadProphet

Old Time Outpost 2 Player
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:37:40 AM »
Hello all,

Glad to see that the Outpost games have a community that is kicking (I only ever played Outposts 1 & 2 in SP, so I had no idea what was out there in terms of community).

Let me get right to the point. I'm not exactly back to play this game anymore (although I still do from time to time). I prefer SP. HOWEVER, my college studies have caused me to return to this classic because it offers a VERY unique vision of the future, and one that I believe is highly tenable.

I'm doing research for the Mind Project at Illinois State University, specifically focusing on the concept of Artificial Life and Artificial Intelligence. For the past month or so I have been doing extensive research in to what is known in the field as "clanking replicators." Clanking replicators are basically robots that can reproduce themselves. In the 1980's NASA did a feasibility study on building a clanking replicator factory on the moon, but the idea was not approved. This idea existed only in the minds of science fiction writers and a few determined scientists, not to mention a few games - Like Outpost 2. Outpost 2's gameplay basically describes a system wherein robotic buildings and robots harvest resources, build new structures, and essentially care for themselves. In fact, if you remove the humans from the equation in OP2, You can imagine the game running like there are no people in the buildings at all - it's like the whole colony is robotic!

Such things might not have been possible in the 1980's, but my research over the past month has led me to believe that such a self-replicating robotic factory is almost possible using today's technology. This is where you come in. I want to use the Outpost 2 universe as inspiration for a clanking replicator feasibility study that I'll be making at my university in a month and I would greatly appreciate it if this community could help me out. There are a few things about Outpost 2 that I would like to know more about, technology-wise:

1. Tokamak Reactors

2. The robo-miners

3. The structure factory

4. The vehicle factory

5. The Robot Command Center

6. The DIRT

7. Savant Computers

8. Arachnid technology

9. The nanites that eventually cause the destruction of the planet.

Also, if any of you can find a way to contact the author of the novella that came with the Outpost 2 game, that information would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time, and I assure you that this game and its universe will get a mention as inspirational material in my report.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:40:10 AM by LeadProphet »

Offline gamerscd0

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 01:24:42 AM »
Hi LeadProphet i would like to help you however i can just ask :)

I think i got what you said up there so see you around >>>>>>

Gamerscd

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 02:39:53 AM »
hey im the resident science freak an as most will attest, inspired to alleviate pseudoscience. if youd like any help just let me know.

Offline siqueule

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:05:43 AM »
hello leadprophet :)

what is "dirt"?

attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 06:52:58 AM »
Dirt siqueule is the EVAC in French.

For your question regarding every science that you wanted information, there are several suited guy including me and Horus that could help you. If you have msn just add me so we can talk further about  it wuzzap_lol@hotmail.com or YIM dragon_gx08@yahoo.com.

Since I got time this morning I will at least do one topic for you.

9. The nanites that eventually cause the destruction of the planet.

The first thing to know is the fact that they are not nanites. If I remember well nanites refer to microscopical robot or VERY small robot. So, the Blight is a biological identity and the main purpose was to terraform the planet. It could be also compare to a massive photosynthesis process. The virus itself did the job and created a breathable atmosphere for human. The drawback occur when Eden scientist learned that Blight was destroying Boptronic computer and every biological organsim. The Blight also created some disaster possible on Neo-Terra. Earthquake, volcanic eruption and so one were all consequence of Blight effect.

So, this is how the Blight worked. If you have any question, feel free to ask on mirc, msn, yim, e-mail or private message inside the forum.

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline siqueule

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 06:59:53 AM »
thank you lordy_dragon  :)

I know for the tokamak, it's a plasma torus who's create with magnetic fields; in france they will build somethink as a tokamak, they call that "iter"  :blink:  
I have some pictures if you want
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort

Offline Sl0vi

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 10:22:44 AM »
Welcome!

I'll let the other guys answer your questions, since I never really the explaination for all the techs.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:23:18 AM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
Great to have you with us. Welcome :)

We got a email from the novella writer last year sometime, ive got his email somewhere.

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
For the tokamak siqueule, it is far more complicated than that. In today's reality the only use for nuclear fusion is nuclear bomb. Scientist around the world are trying to create a power source from fusion of hydrogen with triterium and/or deuterium (I am not completly sure how fusion work at 100%) and from this reaction merge  a huge amount of energy in form of radiation and heat. The problem is to seal this energy and prevent it from blowing the building off.

A tokamak is a fusion nuclear power plant. In Op2 they use a powerfull magnetic field to contain the high pressure and heat of the fusion. However there is still damage made to the integrity of the structure. When a tokamak blow it is mainly because a breach occur in the reactor core and a nuclear explosion occur.

How they gather energy from the reactor core is unknown to me If anyone can complete I would be pleased.

Yet again, if you have question just ask ;)

Offline siqueule

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »
on the book, they said that they use pipes with water to collect the energy :rolleyes:
but if iter explode (with a technical problem or terrorists, I don't know...) I hope that would be less dangerous than in op2 :blink:
but if the plasma donut doesn't touch the walls, no problem; as op2 they use a magnetic field as a tire

Offline zhukant

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
The Outpost 1 help file explains a lot about all the buildings and machinery, I think.  
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 11:45:21 PM »
The Blight
It is not really explained very well.
It is a genetically engineered microorganism with the internal machinery replaced with mechanical supplements that allow it to grow at an insane rate.   Able to survive the harsh conditions of New Terra, it is engineered to seek out water and oxygen deep in the rocks.    The blight is able to break hydrogen bonds with water, to create H2 and O2(what is desired).   This is necessary to make New Terra's atmosphere breatheable.   Anything containing water can be broken down by the blight.   As such, it is able to break down plastics, and less desireable, people.   It also seems to be able to break down organic carbon bonds, such as CO2.   This allows creation of C(s) and O2(g)

The blight moves in waves.   It spreads very slowly, until a large amount of water and oxygen is built up.   The rocks crack (this causes sismic instablilty), and the water surges throughout under high pressure, along with the oxygen.   These surges quickly carry the blight along.   It then sits for a while, and begins the process all over again.

How the blight was released is only specualted on.   The theory is that the blight caused enough pressure build up in the test well that it litterally caused a massive explosion.   This explosion threw the blight amoungst the populace at Nuguyen's meeting.   Those not instantly killed by the decompression caused by the explosion got to enjoy the slow death, as the microbe broke down their tissues.  Some would have died from explosive decompression before the blight finished them, based on how fast it can effect buildings.

I have a theory available.
One thing mentioned in the campaign, blight spreads faster during the day, then at night.   Thus, solar radiation, be it light, or some other form, must aid blight growth, but must NOT be required for growth.   Hence, the blight may be able to process sunlight (photosynthesis), or solar radiation, such as X-Rays, somehow.

Tanks are lost when infected by the blight because the blight breaks down their plastic seals and their boptronic computer cores.   This leaves a basic unit that knows no friend or foe.   It can only move, patrol, shoot.

This is all from memory, so some is bound to be incorrect.   I will modify as necessary, as new information is brought to my attention.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline LeadProphet

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 01:12:36 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I find it interesting that this game not only includes clanking replicators (essentially), but also AI (the Savants) and genetically engineered and mechanically augmented nanomachines (the blight - I qualify it as a nanomachine here because it is mechanically augmented and used like a machine). The author of this game must have had some serious thought put into it. If anyone has that email please dig it up and shoot it my way. I need to talk to this guy.

Thanks too for the information on the Tokamak reactors. Based on what you've said, I don't think Tokamaks would provide an easy power source for clanking replicators. Much more possible would be solar radiation or some form of carbon-burning (if on a planet with a good ecosystem, lots of coal).

Thanks for all the help guys. And do please spread the word about this if you don't mind - make sure to let all the science geeks here know about this. Thank you a bunch!

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 06:49:44 AM »
Hey man, it is great to hear that what we do help you :).  This morning I dont have the time to complete my paragraph about the DIRT. I will have time to finish it later maybe.

By the way, all vehicle's engine are really small version of  tokamak core. Since they don't need huge ammount of energy the system is A LOT more stable to control.

LD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 06:51:54 AM by lordly_dragon »

Offline siqueule

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 07:00:35 AM »
not really, lordy_dragon: they speak about cold fusion in the vehicles, but in the tokamak, it's very very heat  :mellow:  

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 06:40:31 AM »
well it is the same principle it is just colder :P but it is still fusion.

Offline zhukant

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 04:35:18 PM »
Hehe that's funny. I never really imagine fusion being cold.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Wild_Targ

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
Hi, All!

This issue of Scientific American includes an article updating the status of a project known as the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor, intended to explore the feasibility of producing electrical power from a self-sustaining fusion reaction.  There is also a more technical article about the theory of contained fusion and the ITER somewhere in the 1996 year of SciAm (my back issues are in storage right now).  But the article summary has the gist of fusion in a 'doughnut', or torus.

BTW, FYI, as far as I am aware, cold fusion was and is a hoax; a mathematical prank started by some graduate students in the late 50s.  Sorry, guys.  :unsure:

Rodents Of Unusual Size?  I don't think they exist.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 07:50:47 AM »
The fusion process itself (in which tritium and deuterium atoms are slammed together to create energy) isn't cold, but the electric coils that surround the reactor, generating the magnetic field that holds the plasma in place, are cooled to superconducting state (so electricity flows with zero resistance thru the coils).

Cool fusion I believe is referring to the supercooling of the magnets, not the reaction vessel itself.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »
Its cold fusion, because its cooler than usual fusion afaik.

Offline zhukant

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 11:52:47 PM »
Why don't we explain some of the other things LeadProphet was asking about?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 03:52:08 PM »
just look it up from the manual. I can't imagine a place where you find out more.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »
Yeah, the help file tells a lot about how the structures work.

The paper manual is pretty useless compared to the help file, tbh - the help file gives descriptions of how the technology in the units actually work.

Offline zhukant

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 12:42:10 AM »
I can't seem to find the descriptions of the buildings in the four help files that I have. Are they mentioned in the research areas? Or is there a help file that I am missing? Or maybe I am looking at the wrong game? Thanks.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 12:44:21 AM »
Hey LeadProphet! Check out the projects like OP3: Genesis and Renegades.... we have a LOT of very intriuging ones going on :) . That's an interesting story... I hope you stay with us and can tell us if you become famous someday :P

stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.