Author Topic: Morale Glitch?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline Shuffles

Morale Glitch?
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »

Umm why?  This is on hard and I killed the Eden colonys, but I dunt wanna lose because my people die :(

Offline Sirbomber

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 04:16:01 PM »
Stop killing their morale buildings. People hate that.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Shuffles

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:59:05 PM »
Shouldn't they be happy that im wiping out the enemy?

Is the fact that I'm killing their morale building the only reason why my morale is dead-zero?  I've never had it happen so badly before if so...

Offline Sirbomber

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »
Yes, we've known this for awhile now. Killing their "Good" Buildings (Reses, Nurseries, etc) makes your people hate you.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
Morale Glitch?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »
yup its true i think it even sais that in the " big book " whel i mean the play guide you acualy get with op2 cd XD
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Sl0vi

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 11:28:38 AM »
yeah, kill a residence = -100 morale I think
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Shuffles

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 11:53:04 AM »

I just levelled the entire Eden colony O_o  

Offline Vexhare

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56:34 PM »
Kill buildings that they need to run the colony, not keep the colonists alive.  CC, all the facts, smelters, RC and so on.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
Morale Glitch?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 03:18:19 AM »

I just levelled the entire Eden colony O_o
LOL xD
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Morale Glitch?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 08:41:09 AM »
So if your playing a moral game you shouldnt level the enimies entire colony?

That is a new one to me, maybe we should chage this?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Morale Glitch?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 09:03:56 AM »
So if your playing a moral game you shouldnt level the enimies entire colony?

That is a new one to me, maybe we should chage this?
I knew that someone would come up with this. You don't like it => you want to change it. Understand that op2 is the way it is - and it is good that way.

I hope I don't have to explain why the morale-drop is realistic.

Offline Mez

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 10:42:12 AM »
Not much explaination needed really.
For example in real life:
If you blew up a school full of children, then most of the world would hate you.

In op2:
So if you gave orders to blow up a residence full of unarmed people relaxing, then people would hate you as its entirely unneecisary

Offline HaXtOr

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 12:02:35 PM »
Not much explaination needed really.
For example in real life:
If you blew up a school full of children, then most of the world would hate you.

In op2:
So if you gave orders to blow up a residence full of unarmed people relaxing, then people would hate you as its entirely unneecisary
Ahh so the programers of op2 were trying to treach civility durring war, nifty I wonder how many other hidden messages there are in the game like this.

Offline Tellaris

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 10:04:37 PM »
Umm...   Its not a hidden message.   Its realism.  OP2 is a sequal of OP1, which was heavily based on "realism".   Hence, it somewhat takes after its predicesor in this.    
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Shuffles

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
In op2:

But if you kill their command center, tokmaks, all their vehicles and just leave them to rot as their food storage grows thin, in an airless and powerless residence in a half-destroyed wreck of a colony that is acceptable?

This morale drop is just a nuisance, and I'll kill the residences and things anyways since when I start something, I like to finish it.  Plus I wanted that space for a new colony of mine.

This gave me a funny idea:  A colony game where destroying residences and morale buildings adds to your morale, because your people are very cruel.  The basic idea is you have to raid colonies to keep your morale up. Is a morale increase when a building is killed possible to code into a mission?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Morale Glitch?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 08:20:49 AM »
In op2:

But if you kill their command center, tokmaks, all their vehicles and just leave them to rot as their food storage grows thin, in an airless and powerless residence in a half-destroyed wreck of a colony that is acceptable?

This morale drop is just a nuisance, and I'll kill the residences and things anyways since when I start something, I like to finish it.  Plus I wanted that space for a new colony of mine.

Well, remember that there are two sources of morale changes in OP2: Conditions and Events.

Conditions are long term, for example, morale changes when there are no residences, or there is a food shortage, etc. These affect morale continuously.

Events are short term changes. For example, the death of a colonist, completed research, or a 'good' building being destroyed is short term. Within a few marks this will be 'forgotten' and their morale will start to go up again.

And remember, we're talking about morale drops for YOUR colony, not theirs.

Think of this: Do you react positively or negatively when you hear that someone blew up a (school / apartment building / hospital)?

Your colonists are unaffected by their conditions (of low food / power / etc).

This gave me a funny idea:  A colony game where destroying residences and morale buildings adds to your morale, because your people are very cruel.  The basic idea is you have to raid colonies to keep your morale up. Is a morale increase when a building is killed possible to code into a mission?

Probably. We understand how OP2 updates the morale (and where the code is that controls it). You could do a run time patch in your DLL.

A more 'permanent' patch would be to edit morale.txt (in sheets.vol) and change the value for ENEMY_GOOD_DIES to a positive value.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 08:21:07 AM by op2hacker »

Offline HaXtOr

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 08:27:57 AM »
Is there a way to use a custom Moral tech sheet?

Offline Vexhare

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 10:40:54 AM »
But why oh why would you want to change the basic form of the game. I like how it is realistic. Dont fix what is not broken!

Offline siqueule

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 10:27:09 AM »
if the moral did not count, the colonists will be as the bumpkin in age of empire II: they work all the time for zero wages, and they don't complain, as robots  <_<
and save robots of a terrible microbe who dissolve the people, it's less funny :rolleyes:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline lordly_dragon

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
hum here is what I think about this:

does it work? yes it does

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline siqueule

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
we could create a new satellite: the tv satellite! after, the colonists could watch tv and they would be happy!

maybe the colonists had the tv in the secound missions of the campaign, but when the microbe arrived, the transporters was too little, and they've leave the tv  :'(  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline instigator

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »
LOL?? um.. yeah... add that onto Renegades. they spawn off a new hollywood colony meant for acting out movies XD. omg they would suck lol. buuuuut, we should be able to say that they tapped into old earth culture records and found movies and tv series' all recorded.

(but i dont think people running from a dying earth would have time to upload "I Love Lucy" lol)

ps nice flowsheet ;)

Offline james239

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
Hey, if you live in constant fear of earthquakes, tornados, storms, meteors, lasers/microwaves, and being dissolved by a fast spreading microbe, a little "I Love Lucy" might be just the thing to take your mind off just how much your life sucks.

Offline Tellaris

Morale Glitch?
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 10:47:35 PM »
A way around this is to simply use Starflares to kill buildings.   People don't care if SPLASH damage destroys something (as far as I've seen)   However, you still suffer the "vehicle lost" problem.   I've never tested using flares and novas on Morale buildings.   I don't think OP2 counts suicide as a kill though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:48:17 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.