Author Topic: More Windows Probs  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Leviathan

More Windows Probs
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:50:15 AM »
dam windows

i had one folder, i wanted to move files from there to a new folder of the same hard drive. i moved a few folders to the new folder. i then tryed to open the folders in the new folder and i get acess is denied. i cant get into the folders which i could do before! if i go2 properties it says they r 0 bytes but they should have 700mb in. i cant move the folders or open them, all i get is acess is denied. windows has just deleted 6GB of my data just because i moved the folders :/

i did the windows error checking on the disk and got no errors.

any ideas?

Offline Mez

More Windows Probs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:33:26 AM »
i guess by windows error checking you mean you did a "chkdsk <drv> /r"

the /r is important

if no results then get out your fav data recovery tool an have a few hours of fun!

Offline Leviathan

More Windows Probs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 02:15:39 PM »
nope

i did the check in hard drive propties, then tools.

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
More Windows Probs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:50:06 PM »
How about the permissions? Are they setup for your account to be able to access them. Make sure you have ownership too. I dont know why that would mess up, but Access Denied usually has something to do with permissions.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Sl0vi

More Windows Probs
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »
That sounds like a typical case of windows causing files to corrupt, and windows error checking isn't really that good.

I have had a few experiences like this myself. Usually it's windows that messes something up, and the folder becomes unreadable and in many cases impossible to delete. Last time I couldn't delete the folder until I reformatted my comp :/

Maybe someone here knows some good tools for retrieving corrupted data.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 06:29:41 PM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
More Windows Probs
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 03:24:42 AM »
whenever I got undeletable files/folders, DOS-mode helped. unlucky that you are using XP.

Offline Leviathan

More Windows Probs
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:32:51 AM »
there shouldnt of been any problems with permissions but i can try.

the drive has no errors. ive done the chkdsk check now also.

its something to do with windows :(

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
More Windows Probs
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:40:15 AM »
What can i say ?
WINDOWS XP SUX ?

Try a DIR from the commandline, as TH300 sugguests, to see if there are any files. It may be that windows f*cked up moving the files.
The way windows moves stuff is by 2 commands: COPY and DEL, so check your wastebin to see if there's anything in there. Also, have you tried an undo ? (this won't do you any good if you've already rebooted the system after you moved the files, since the undo buffer is then cleared).

Other then that: good luck !

As a note, i should add:
I rarely use move. If i have sensitive stuff to move (even in win 98SE), i use copy: then check if it copied, THEN delete the old copies (or keep them, if they don't bother me).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 06:40:58 AM by Eddy-B »
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
More Windows Probs
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 07:59:02 AM »
if you boot from a DOS disk, you won't be able to access the NTFS partitions.

You might try booting into Linux using knoppix or some other CD based distro, mount the partition as ntfs, and see if you can access your files that way.

It's also possible that the MFT records for the files got destroyed, but I would assume that the data is still there.

Try using an undelete tool (this will scan the MFT for destroyed files). I've used one called "@Undelete", it seems to work pretty well.

Also, avoid using the hard drive at all if you can! (The data could get overwritten if windows sees that the MFT entries are marked as deleted)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
More Windows Probs
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 09:14:59 AM »
I've never actually had this problem before and I use Windows all the time. Actually, only use Windows because Linux is very foreign to me.

OP2Hacker is on the right track though. The Windows Disk Checks aren't the best at detecting HDD problems. Download a tool from the HDD MFG and do a disk check that way. Usually when there's a problem of some sort, windows won't detect it until half the drive is gone. You'll need a better tool.

I've not used @Undelete but I'm guessing it's similar to the DOS NTFS version of undelete (yes, there are command-line utilities built specifically to read NTFS file systems. I had to restore an entire drive once on a friends computer).

Also, you seem to be having a lot of problems with your machines. My guess is that you're using very large hard drives without partitions. It's likely that I havn't been having problems because I partition all of my hard drives to 40GB sections. I divide up all my data that way. Seems that Windows has less problems working with a partitioned drive. You might want to try that as well, if you can restore your data.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
More Windows Probs
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 09:54:25 AM »
it sounds like this problem has something to do with your hdd and memory. when files are moved, they have to be moved into memory and then rewritten on the hdd. ive had this problem before. i usually cannot fix it until i reformat. is your hardware secondhand? i usually get this transfer/copy error when i use combinations of hardware of various ages/types. mind you, i havent seen this error in YEARS and never heard of it happening in XP. you mightve had a system error during the file move and windows simply stopped the process before the data was moved but after the directory was moved.

i dunno, im going to sleep :P

Offline wizisi2k

More Windows Probs
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 02:00:50 PM »
it could be a bad area on the disk but unlikley b/c u ran chkdsk but run something similar from another company.  if what you lost was downloaded and you have a fast engouh internet connection, I would just redownload it.  Granted it might take a while but then again so will trying to recover it.  if it's a program just reinstall.  If you lost OP2 videos well I feel sorry for you  :'( then again just restart from scratch and record again  

Offline Leviathan

More Windows Probs
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 02:48:30 PM »
it was some movies.

its a external hard drive ive had for a few years.

ive never had this problem before.

id like to try linux and the undelete apps.

i get Access is denied wen i try to go into any of the fodlers with cmd prompt

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
More Windows Probs
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »
Use the search function to find the folder and it's clones.  Sometimes windows likes to move files somewhere other than you told it to -.-
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names