Author Topic: Power Forms  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Tellaris

Power Forms
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:34:57 PM »
There are many different types of power, that can easily be worked into Genisis...   It depends, however, on what the planet is going to consist of.

Generally, anything that generates heat can be used as a power source.   Already used and existing power sources:
Geothermal:
Must be built near some surface vent to be of any use.
Hydrodams:  
Typically use water, but not neccessary.   Any place there is a running liquid, the energy can be tapped by turbines.
Nuclear:
Wherever there is heavy elements, they can be split to generate power.   Uranium is considered the best at this time.
Fusion:
Tokamak in OP2.   Turns matter into high energy plasma state and uses megnetic force to keep the plasma from melting the coil walls.   Can genereate a lot of power (by today's standards) and can run on any lighter element, past iron.   The best combination involves Deterium and Tritium (made from Lithium).
Wind Power:
Any planet with a reasonably thick atmosphere can harness the wind.   As far as I know, bob has an atmosphere.   Possibly a very turbulent one, so this would actually be quite the valuable structure.
Solar Power:
Solar generaters on the surface of bob!   Assuming its atmosphere isn't too thick/turbulent (too much particulate matter from a lot of wind makes this useless)   Can also be done op2 style, where energy is "beemed" down to the surface.
Biogas:
Something being looked into today, using Methane, which EVERYONE makes in abundance, to produce power by burning it.   Renewable resource (obviously)
MHD Generator:  
Assuming bob has a strong enough megnetic field, the origional MHD may still be applicable.
If bob has an ionized atmosphere...
Lightning Power:
Lightning rods on bob, as far as the eye can see.   Absorbs the strikes, and shunts the energy into the colony (perfectly possible.   Right now, we just dump the energy into the ground)
If bob is Volcanic....
Lava is very thick.   Assuming there is an active lava run that does not solidify often,  a generator can be built on it.   Also assuming that a material exists that can handle the heat of molten rock.

Thats all I could think of...   Other then the obvious fossil fuels, but thats if Bob ever even supported life.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power Forms
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:05:17 PM »
very concise, for the lava power, currently in smelters the liquid metal is hotter than magma, so I don't think that harnessing that would be very hard (just make sure that it has relief valves incase somthing does get jammed) of corse that design would also produce ore for the coloney, so that would be double as good

also the most efficient fusion is D-He3, normally He-3 is very rare on semi-earthlike planets, but if all goes as planned for me one of the byproducts of cool fusion would be He3 (D-D reactions for cool fusion would produce He3, Tritium which would be recycled and react with the Deuterium to make He4)

if D-He3 reactors are used, than no harmful nutrons that damage the reactor walls, gameplay wise that would mean the the tokamoks would not degrade, I dont know how well that would work for balance reasions (whats the point of the others when you have a power system with high hp, heavy armor, and dosnt require rare?)

ive been accused many times of thinking too much lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Power Forms
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:22:06 PM »
im pretty sure we already went over this (several times) at great length.

Offline Tellaris

Power Forms
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 11:49:01 PM »
Possibly.   However, this forum was empty, so I decided to put something in it.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Forms
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:04:06 PM »
you forgot the 1mill Hamsters and wheels and solar power.

Offline Vexhare

Power Forms
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »
Nah they got solar power.

Offline Tramis

Power Forms
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:22:09 AM »
MHD may not work, it works on New Terra because its "magnetic field is in a state of flux", not every planet they come to will be like that...

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Power Forms
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 04:41:23 PM »
I know its just an idea list, but I hope all those options wont be avalable for every colony, its just be too much.

Yes, redundant post, but heck why not bring up my post count eh?
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power Forms
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
what about a mini generator? we know they have cool fusion, and they have a form of fusion thats stable enough to power a cc and produce 50 amounts of power, why dont they make that its own building

it would be a small one tile (op2 size) building low hp and armor and would only produce 50 power, but would be very cheap

it would be usefull if you need power quick, but dont have enough ore for a tok or mhd
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Power Forms
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »
I got the impression from op2 that cool fusion was suited for small power loads and not meant to support the draw of an entire colony. it would be interesting if certain power generators could go into an overload mode that would generate more power but cause them damage over time if the colony has in serious need of extra power or in case of emergencies.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Power Forms
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
that could go into other buildings as well

such as if you allocate more power to a factory it would be able to produce faster, and perhaps it would have other drawbacks as well (more ore needed to produce things because it becomes wastefull in its haste)

Offline Tramis

Power Forms
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:04 PM »
that could go into other buildings as well

such as if you allocate more power to a factory it would be able to produce faster, and perhaps it would have other drawbacks as well (more ore needed to produce things because it becomes wastefull in its haste)
That wouldn't make sense, these buildings are meant to be able to handle a certain power load, they generally would probably draw this at its max, so perhaps instead of allocating more power, you could reduce power usage in a shortage?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Power Forms
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 09:38:14 PM »
Half production mode every thing takes 2 times as long to make and none of the lights are on lol.  but that means evey thing is using half power this should only be for big buildings like the SF VF AdvL Spaceport smelters.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:38:24 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Power Forms
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
Hmm, you know that isn't a half bad idea.  Buildings could even be harder to dected if the other player(s) haven't put sats in orbit.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Skydock Command

Power Forms
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »
I think the idea is great. (note: I think its great because we need power)

lol
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:47:04 PM by Skydock Command »
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.