Author Topic: Singled Out For Using Missles...  (Read 17724 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Singled Out For Using Missles...
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 01:29:04 AM »
Chandler speaks the truth.

You play TA? So do I. We need to round up the OPU TA'ers and play some.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 02:12:36 AM »
Now when some one say limit i think every one automaticly things one and only one.  I think if there was a limit to 4 or 5 you can have at one time then you can still have a resonable mount of missiles to attack distract or defend with but not have the over kill amount of 8 to 15+.  Limiting to a reasonable number.  If that is done i dont think every thing else would have to be limited at all.

It is true about strategy but some times a base just has a really good defence becase of how many openings it has or the distance to the base.  You all want to spout off about strategy but dont offer any advice for those that might need it.  And also alot of people around here speaking of idealistic ways where there is always a way around some thing.  There isnt always a way around some times you just have to yield to a superior force.

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2006, 02:28:32 AM »
Unfortunately, its next to impossible to defeat somebody who has the ability to mass missile you and actually knows how to do it.   The only real counter would be to do it right back, and whatch your arse as much as they whatch theirs...   And be prepared for some REALLY long drawn out battles as the units just flash away to the EMP.

Either that or just rush his ass.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2006, 06:55:14 AM »
Don't limit missles.

If you're getting pounded, and you're eden, get some meteor defensis up!
If you're getting pounded, and you're plymoth, pound the person right back and get some spiders ready!

Honestly, I keep reading things in the OP3 suggestion section with people (including freeza) saying not to change things, and now I'm seeing people wanting to change this!  You want to know a counter strategy?  Here it is: emp your own units when the missle is launched!  At the begining, make eveyone agree not to base-attack with missles!  And for god's sake, use the forking spiders!!!!  THey are in the game for a reason, take advantage of them!
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:29 AM »
Freeza.. instead of feeding all my knowledge about this game into every newcomer who gets on here, I try to poke you in the right direction every now and then.

It is my belief that you, as new guys or newbs if you like, have more fun with the game if you learn by trial and error and observational learning (Like I did). Instead of having me and some of the others telling you exactly how to do things..

I'm sure we can make a manual for speed 10, where all you have to do is hit hot keys at the right mark and produce the units at the correct mark. It can be done, but it is, like I said, my belief that you will have a more enjoyable time if you toy around with the game yourself instead of being spoon fed every bit and piece of knownledge.

There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 11:01:38 AM »
LOL Feeding all your knowledge like the knowledge of a game is so precious.  Any way Give them hints not a walk through you know what I mean highlander.  

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 02:12:25 PM »
If you're Eden, counter EMP Missiles with UFOs instead of melting them for titanum.  ;)  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 03:22:01 PM »
Don't limit missles.

If you're getting pounded, and you're eden, get some meteor defensis up!
If you're getting pounded, and you're plymoth, pound the person right back and get some spiders ready!

Honestly, I keep reading things in the OP3 suggestion section with people (including freeza) saying not to change things, and now I'm seeing people wanting to change this!  You want to know a counter strategy?  Here it is: emp your own units when the missle is launched!  At the begining, make eveyone agree not to base-attack with missles!  And for god's sake, use the forking spiders!!!!  THey are in the game for a reason, take advantage of them!
Meteor defenses are hardly effective against 3 spaceports. 10? Not possible. And some people have tried self-EMP'ing against missile rain and it didn't work well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:22:47 PM by Arklon »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »
If I was pounding you dont you think i would keep your spaceports emped lol so you couldnt fight back.  Then it comes down to a quick draw Missile rush.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 07:50:05 PM »
If I was pounding you dont you think i would keep your spaceports emped lol so you couldnt fight back.
Good luck getting those EMP units there and keep them alive...

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2006, 07:10:34 PM »
Alright, since this seems to be a hard nut to crack.

Say movement is absolutely impossible(stupid idea that, but thats what most of you seem to think)

So, for let's say La Corrida, or any place you guard an entrance. And following Freeza's suggestion here, I'm gonna give you a few hints.

1) Meteor Defenses
2) Triangle
3) DIRT

Put these 3 together and you'll have 1 answer on how to counter mass missiling ;)

Anyone feel like guessing how to complete the pussle ?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2006, 07:50:38 PM »
Alright, since this seems to be a hard nut to crack.

Say movement is absolutely impossible(stupid idea that, but thats what most of you seem to think)

So, for let's say La Corrida, or any place you guard an entrance. And following Freeza's suggestion here, I'm gonna give you a few hints.

1) Meteor Defenses
2) Triangle
3) DIRT

Put these 3 together and you'll have 1 answer on how to counter mass missiling ;)

Anyone feel like guessing how to complete the pussle ?
Multiple missiles. Meteor defenses (even clusters of them) HATE that.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2006, 02:41:29 AM »

Arklon, I wish I could do like teachers can: Stamp a big, red "FAILED" on your Answer. I might even have asked to have a little chat with your parents about your obvious lack of effort and involvement. (As with everything else, OP2 requires you to put some effort and practice into it before you get good or better)

For the record, and as I underlined, I can see WHY you find mass missiling troublesome, if you like to keep everything in clusters.

Anyone else like to try ?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2006, 02:49:42 AM »
Grid systems Grid doesnt always mean square.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2006, 06:43:31 AM »
For the record, and as I underlined, I can see WHY you find mass missiling troublesome, if you like to keep everything in clusters.
Thanks for misinterpretating me. Clusters as in large groups of them.

Offline Slaughter (PhodoX)

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »
The only time I was annoyined by EMP missiles was when Edencommander launcher a bunch of them at me BEFORE the Atack Mark ended. And after that, nova'ed me BEFORE the atack mark ended.
Lucky bastard, I could've crushed his and Skydock Commander army on seconds If i wanted to break the mark
Here comes the SUPERNOVA SWARM!

<Upload the photo to the OPU servers please!!!!>

Offline Exile

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2007, 03:38:25 PM »
EMP missile spam may be annoying but it's still fair plymonth needs a edge over edens weapons which are lethal beyond measure and EMPING your army isn't the end all be all it's what you do when it hits you may be able to turn the tide with even half your army disabled justuse better tactics and EMP doesn't last for very long to tell you the truth because if they haven't blown half your force away by the time they are active eden will go on a rampage
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both."

"The best form of welfare for the troops is first-rate training."

''Erwin Rommel The Desert Fox''

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
EMP missile spam may be annoying but it's still fair plymonth needs a edge over edens weapons which are lethal beyond measure and EMPING your army isn't the end all be all it's what you do when it hits you may be able to turn the tide with even half your army disabled justuse better tactics and EMP doesn't last for very long to tell you the truth because if they haven't blown half your force away by the time they are active eden will go on a rampage
Uhh, no. We're talking 10-15 spaceports constantly launching EMP missiles all over the map. And the EMP effect of EMP missiles is much longer than that of regular EMP.

Offline Exile

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »
Uhh, no. We're talking 10-15 spaceports constantly launching EMP missiles all over the map. And the EMP effect of EMP missiles is much longer than that of regular EMP.
Point taken but still missile spaming all good tho do what it takes to win XD

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2007, 05:58:04 PM »
Point taken but still missile spaming all good tho do what it takes to win XD
Missile spamming is about as honorable as scout rushes, advanced lab bombing, cutting other people's tubes, or building GP's at other people's CC's.

Offline Chandler

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »
As was stated earlier...

I believe that if you wish to limit EMP missiles, have it as a rule before the game starts (only 3 spaceports allowed, etc)

Otherwise, if you let them (either by rules, or (if allowed by game rules) by letting them build up 10-12 spaceports) its your own damn fault - you should have specified in the rules a maximum number of spaceports, or taken them out before they got so many spaceports.
Chandler

Offline instigator

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2007, 09:08:11 PM »
I agree... If the conditions were not specified before game, than anything goes. One thing though. People will notice when others are being "cheap" in the game. duh right? the trick is, DON'T PLAY WITH THEM if they keep doing the same thing over and over. I do however think the EMP spamming is a legit strategy. Prove me wrong.

Offline Exile

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2007, 12:30:48 AM »
True but all tactics. some may be annoying but if they work they can pay off for the player and it's not like the dude is cheating i say we rename it cheaping. besides the guy that cuts tubes is easy he can only cut 3 just keep rebuilding it he blow up sooner or later rofl. as far as building guards posts just be faster then them. all i'm saying is for anything there is always a counter nothing is unbeatable not a scout rush or anything else just wall your front door and then that convec scout rush EW rush won't do much good andsometime those tactics could be a final throw of the dice yet scout rush may be cheap but scouts are weak enough you could kick them and blow them up like 3 guards posts hooked to CC would own them fast
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:19:32 PM by DragonBlade »

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2007, 09:55:55 AM »
Cost of 10 x Spaceports:

30 000 Common ore
5000 Rare ore

(3000 common, 500 rare a piece ?)

Cost of 10 x EMP Missiles:

30 000 Common ore
15 000 Rare ore

(3000 common, 1500 rare a piece ?)

Total:

60 000 Common
20 000 Rare

If you can't beat your opponent with this much ore to play with, you don't deserve to win. If your opponent has this much more ore than you, no way in hell you will win in any case..

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »
I do however think the EMP spamming is a legit strategy. Prove me wrong.
It's just barely possible to defend yourself against missile spamming, but try going on the offensive. Impossible. Unless you abuse vehicle trading to go way over the unit limit (but even then, it'll still take forever).
True but all tactics. some may be annoying but if they work they can pay off for the player and it's not like the dude is cheating i say we rename it cheaping. besides the guy that cuts tubes is easy he can only cut 3 just keep rebuilding it he blow up sooner or later rofl. as far as building guards posts just be faster then them. all i'm saying is for anything there is always a counter nothing is unbeatable not a scout rush or anything else just wall your front door and then that convec scout rush EW rush won't do much good andsometime those tactics could a a final throw of the dice yet scout rush may be cheap but scouts are weak enough you could kick them and blow them up like 3 guards posts hooked to CC would own them fast
If you think things like scout rushing are legitimate, you don't have a legitimate place in these kinds of discussions.
If you can't beat your opponent with this much ore to play with, you don't deserve to win. If your opponent has this much more ore than you, no way in hell you will win in any case..
They can have that much ore, but it might not be more than you do.

Before this goes on any further, all of you should try playing against a missile spammer. Then you'll see why I'm complaining about it so much.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:32:41 PM by Arklon »