Author Topic: Starting To Lean.  (Read 3518 times)

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« on: February 05, 2006, 06:59:15 PM »
Hey all!

I wan't to know how all of you code. I mean, i never did anything so far, and have 0 exp on this. I am 11 years old btw and am a fast learner if i know what im doing. Anyone know where i can START to learn how to program and code or whatever it is you need to know to be able to do what the rest of you can do? Any ideas where to start?

Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Leviathan

Starting To Lean.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 07:07:41 PM »
Great that you want to learn :D

Op2 coding is a lot of fun!

First thing you need is the OP2 SDK:
op2_dllsdk.zip

Then you need to get MSVC+ or Codeblocks.

wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup

Take a look thru the coding threads.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 07:39:40 PM »
look to see if you can sign up for any classes that teach programming. start off with something simple like python or basic

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 09:03:38 PM »
For op2 programming you just need to know basic C++.

Where I first learned

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 07:48:13 AM »
Oh alright thanks!

Great that you want to learn

Op2 coding is a lot of fun!

First thing you need is the OP2 SDK:
op2_dllsdk.zip

Then you need to get MSVC+ or Codeblocks.

wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup

Take a look thru the coding threads.

Uhh, got any suggestions on which one is better ?

look to see if you can sign up for any classes that teach programming. start off with something simple like python or basic

Am i really able to take classes at 11 years old??? DOes it cost? I don't really understand what your saying :blink:

but thanks everyone!

Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 08:08:01 AM »
Am i really able to take classes at 11 years old??? DOes it cost? I don't really understand what your saying :blink:
there are many classes available, at least in my area that teach you to program, often many of them are for youger people. not too shure of the costs, but if you look around you school you can probably find a teacher that might be abble to help you some.

You might want to pick up a few books on c++ start off with the basics adding numbers and displaying them, reading text files, how to write definitions ect.

Offline Leviathan

Starting To Lean.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 08:16:07 AM »
You can get everything you need free online. You can learn c++ online.

Your on dial up so get Codeblocks, it is smaller. Follow the link i gave.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:22:53 PM »
OK, ill get the other program When i get home.

(OP2 Rules @ Feb 6 2006, 08:48 AM)
Am i really able to take classes at 11 years old??? DOes it cost? I don't really understand what your saying   

there are many classes available, at least in my area that teach you to program, often many of them are for youger people. not too shure of the costs, but if you look around you school you can probably find a teacher that might be abble to help you some.

You might want to pick up a few books on c++ start off with the basics adding numbers and displaying them, reading text files, how to write definitions ect.

Hmm, uhh... like what leviathan said, i can get it all online, and i have like no cash to spare on books that cost 45$, then in CDN cash thats like 65$ plus tax makes it way more than i can afford :/

Ill just stick with what lev suggested :anibump:  
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »
Hey, how do i start  to make the program?

I am usin Codeblocks.  And Like the 'hello world' code, where do i put it?
I make a new 'file' and when i enter the code for 'hello world' and test it, it says:

Can't find compiler executable in your search path GNU GCC ompiler
                           [          ok        ]

Uhh, is there something im doing wrong?

^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Leviathan

Starting To Lean.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 05:11:29 PM »
Take a look on the codeblocks site. Ive not used it before.

Also did u read thur all of that wiki page on the setup?

Offline zigzagjoe

Starting To Lean.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 05:16:17 PM »
take a look at my zighooville, ive got a fair bit of it commented ,and a c++ tutorial w/ it. but yea the 1st thing youll need to learn is how to code in c++, then move on to how to code missions and such.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 05:16:40 PM »
Those console and other test apps have the GCC compiler set as default. In the left pane, right click the project name (in bold) and go to Build Options.

In the window that pops up, click the first item in the tree on the left and set the text in the top dropdown box to Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. Do the same with the other items in the tree.

Press OK, and then you should be able to compile.

This will not be an issue for OP2 dlls.

Again, you need to have done the compiler setup at http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup, or nothing will compile at all.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
Hmm, i set it op in the wiki page, and all that's fine, but on the left pane, i see the project name, (not in bold btw) and if i right clikc it there is no option for 'build options'.

All i did from the wiki page was set the thing in the setting to Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003, and the things you have to add to it in the other area.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:29:12 AM »
You need to do EVERYTHING on the wiki page.

When the project is loaded, you should see an icon with a red / blue / yellow / green logo in it. Right click that.

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 05:06:31 PM »
OK, i finaly got home and all, and that was a while ago, only problem was that i had somemuch homework, i didnt have time to do anything, and then i had my provincial exams, i just finished them yesterday, and now im almost fnished school, the teachers are paying so little attention to the homework they say to do a 4 page oral, wi wrtie it and everything and i never had to say it. So yeah, no im am starting from scratch on coding  :D  Well, thanks again for all the help, i was having a few problems before, i will try going over what everyone said again and hope for the best....

Are there any other programs i can use beside CodeBlocks and that other thingy? I wanna start copletely from scratch not using that old thing, unless someone has a reason not to.

- thanks
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »
No, you have to use Codeblocks or MSCV. (assuming "that other thingy" was MSCV  :P )

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Starting To Lean.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 06:22:58 AM »
ok im downloading it now... If i need anymore help ill probably go in IRC and get live help... But i would like this topic to stay on the roll, my frineds are jelous of me now that i have a team of people that are willing to help me  (thumbsup)

EDIT: what the hell ?! it says i dont have permission to donwload codeblocks :unsure:  Is there something im missing here?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 06:24:50 AM by OP2 Rules »
 ^--- GD Text Generati