Author Topic: Outpost Blue Screen Of Death Winxp  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Drako

Outpost Blue Screen Of Death Winxp
« on: June 05, 2005, 12:50:34 AM »
Well i looked and looked, and couldnt find if anyone has ran into this issue or not. My father is having a bit of problems running op2. It seems this blue screen will pop at a random time, during game play, weither it be singleplayer or multiplayer. He will be playing and just out of no-where he gets a blue screen for less then a second and the computer reboots. Its a compaq laptop, err with like a 2500+ amd in it. I dont use the machine so i dont have the specs currently. I do know it has a imbedded ATI graphics of some kind. Ill go get the specs, and ill pull up the event log and copy the errors it has and post it here to see if any know what to do.  The only thing that i can remember right now is event veiwer stated something about if there was any new hardware added recently or drivers installed to remove it and see if problem occurs again. Thats kinda retarded because he has no problems with any other games he plays. I'm not sure if the old age of the game coupled with the young age of the comp is causing a issue or what. I got a desktop iv put together that far exceeds his comps specs, and iv never ran into these errors.

Anyhow more info to come, you know what i will post when i get to chance, so if you guys already have any suggestions let me know. Whats funny is wev tried both the CDversion, and the download from this site, and both are a problem. I have the real CD. Just to see if his cdrom was a issue, i loaded the iso onto his comp, and ran alcohol to emulate a drive and play the game. He ran into a serious issue one day with his comp(unrelated to this issue) and i had reformatted his comp and reinstalled windows. Thanks for any input, it stinks for a old OP2 player like my dad, unable to enjoy the game any longer =\.  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 01:02:20 AM »
Hmm, my first guess would have been some sort of driver issue. I'm not too sure what to make of the fact that other games don't cause problems. It could be that other games just don't make the same system calls, so they never trigger the problem. I really can't think of other reasons why that might happen. Also, the severity of the issue would suggest it's probably something going wrong in the core of the OS. Otherwise, just the program should crash, not the whole OS. What one are you running?

If you could post any techinical details, I might be able to look into it a little, but I'm not sure that will be easy to get. Especially not if the computer reboots that fast. Things like what module caused the crash, the crash address, a dump of registers/memory, call stack. That sort of stuff could help at least locate the problem. But even then, there might not be a fix. To be honest, I kinda doubt I'd really be able to help, even with all that info.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 01:41:56 PM »
The laptop has some problem (no idea what)... its not OP2.

I suggest he plays it on a desktop computer anyway :P

Sorry im no help :P

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 02:58:27 PM »
It may be possible that you have a DirectX problem. What version of directX are you using?

Our version off the site only uses DirectSound for the sound system (and DirectPlay if you use Modem or Serial connection in the multiplayer dialog). The CD version uses DirectDraw in addition to DSound and DPlay.

Our version just uses the windows GDI for drawing (which most non-game apps use, including the core parts of windows itself). So I'd find it unlikely that it's a graphics problem. It could be a problem with the sound hardware maybe, and its interaction with directsound.

The other probable issue could be the windows video playback system. If you are trying to watch the OP2 videos, you have to have the Indeo video codec installed. Perhaps it has a problem initializing the video system and that causing a video related problem.

But yeah, like Hooman said, if you can figure out anything, paste it to us. that includes dumps of memory or stack or whatever (in other words, the strange numbers you see when you get errors). You might not be able to make sense of them but we might be able to when it's in relation to OP2. :P

Offline Sephiron

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 10:51:37 PM »
Why are you even mounting a image of the cd onto your computer? What could be happening happening is that by you mounting the image the computer is haveing hardware issues. The version off the net doesnt have to have a fake cd rom drive. Personally I use daemon tools because of all the issues I have had with alcohol. I wouldn't say it was directx that is causeing the problems because if you install the game off of the disk then it should check automatically to see if you have atleast a greater version of directx then what is required. Try uninstalling the whole game and remove the mounted image and then reinstalling the game from the cd. That would check to make sure your directx is right. If that doesnt work I would sugest you download the game off the net and DO NOT mount an image and just load the game up.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 10:52:31 PM by Sephiron »

Offline Mez

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:33:32 PM »
The problem IS a driver one. I have had it with other hardware.

The problem is not a direct result of running op2 you will just find the bsod and reboot occurs "randomly".

This is i assume when the device driver has a logic bomb error (it contradicts itself) and winxp auto reboots to stop any damage to the systme (even if it is a virtual device)

my problem was a bios one (hyperthreading was incompatible wiht a driver so i just turned it off whenever iwanted to use the piece of hardwar)  u will prolly have to find different drivers or remove the fault harware.

You wouldn't happen to be using a saitek mouse (plugged in the th labtop) or anyother mouse which you have installed drivers for?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 07:51:54 PM »
Well he's not having a reboot, he's having a blue screen (or stop screen) as windows calls it.

It's the equivalent of a kernel panic in linux, generally comes up when some error in the kernel, HAL layer or some driver attached to the kernel malfunctions.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 03:47:05 AM »
oh its a laptop?

i was getting this with my laptop (though not just from op2)

i sent it back for them to look at it - apparently they'd put the wrong RAM in it.
see it shoulda been compatible, but with laptops you can't be sure when you're testing - so they replaced teh RAM with another make, and now it works fine.
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Drako

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 06:12:16 PM »
Why are you even mounting a image of the cd onto your computer?
Theres probably a hundred answers to that question. But in my post, i already gave you the main reason. I was seeing if there was a issue with the CDrom.

Direct X 9c currently.

The problem is not a direct result of running op2 you will just find the bsod and reboot occurs "randomly".
No and yes. Amazingly he places about 10~ other games, and op2 is the only one that causes this issue. Your right on the money with the bsod and reboot randomly. There isnt a specific amount of time before it desides to bsod.

Well he's not having a reboot, he's having a blue screen (or stop screen) as windows calls it.
refer to last quote and reply.

Sorry im no help

At least your keeping your post counter up. j/k :P

... not the whole OS. What one are you running?
Described in subject, but XP Pro.

I suggest he plays it on a desktop computer anyway
Well i got a laptop that runs this game really slow =\, but it will still run it haha. Well anyhow thanks for the contribution levi.

Anyhow tonight when i get home from work, ill get the specs from dxdiag, and post them.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 07:09:57 AM »
Is it possible to get what it says on the Stop screen, like what modules were loaded, etc? Or it reboots too suddenly to see anything there?

And is there anything specific that he tries to do in OP2? like does it happen, say if he's trying to move a certain unit? or it happens at different points?

Offline Drako

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »
It reboots to fast to read anything, but it gives ya just enough time to maybe take a picture of it. Ill try to have a camera rdy to take a pic of it, if im lucky enough heh. Windows should store it in a logfile somewhere or something eesh.

Memory: 510MB RAM
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.040919-1003)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Pavilion zd7000 (DS487U#ABA)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200
Display Memory: 64.0 MB(ewww but good enough for op2 :))

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Hmmm op2 wouldnt run into problems displaying with widescreen resolutions would it? I just thought about that, some older programs have issues with these oddball resolutions. I'll test that theory asap..

Description: Conexant AMC Audio

Anyhow thats alot of his system info, its way more then whats required to play the game obviously. Hopefully we can figure something out. I wish there was a way to print screen the blue screen error, only possible way to capture it that i can think off is to take it with my digicam. I wish there was a way to plug it into my computer to record the video output. Iv got a video input card, but i dont know of any adapters to date, that will convert a VGA to S-video, or coax. Anyhow thanks for lookin into it guys.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 12:50:31 AM »
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, so I'll say it anyway.

All HP and COMPAQ computers (now that they're one and the same) have a series of drivers and software installed that I can almost GARANTEE will cause a problem at some point or another. HP and COMPAQ computers come loaded with crap that actually causes problems with Windows software designed before WinMe. It's a wierd error that happens now and then but it has to do with really s***ty drivers coupled with really s***ty software coupled with really s***ty hardware.

What can I say? HP/COMPAQ computers are worthless for gaming. Great business machines but their usefulness ends there.

(Trust me, I know this for sure. I've worked with hundreds of recent machines. HP/COMPAQ machines are the worst. Even DELL is better!)

:op2: Leeor Dicker

EDIT:

BTW, I've found that about 75% of WinXP stop messages are due to RAM related errors (bad ram, incompatible, etc.). The rest is all software errors or other serious hardware failures (most commonly video cards).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 12:55:39 AM by leeor_net »

Offline Phrozen_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 11:07:28 AM »
To disable automatic reboot on BSOD in WinXP, open up the System Properties (Either by going to the Control Panel, or right clicking "My Computer" and clicking properties.) window and click on the Advanced Tab.  Then Click on the Settings button in the "Startup and Recovery" section.

Another window will pop up, go down to the "System Failure" section and unclick "Automatically Restart".

Now when you get a BSOD, you'll have time to read the error message.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 11:11:02 AM by Phrozen_Wolf »

Offline Kolaris

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »
I'll bring this back from the grave because its come back to attack my OP2 gaming...

Last 3 times I've booted up the game its bsod'd (but only after I actually started a game) and its been getting quicker and quicker. Next time it happens I'll record the error and the dump log, but I'm quite certain its the same error.

So, as for new hardware...as you may know from my thread about installation trouble I just manually added the autoexec.nt file. I put in the text it told me to on the Windows website, but thats the only system wide thing I've changed...that and I moved some files from the CD install to the download install. I just did a complete paste and told it not to overwrite in the attempts at getting the in game music and sounds (which I did). Other than that...just been playing OP2 :(  

Offline Kolaris

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 07:34:59 PM »
BSOD Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Detailed Report:
C:\DOCUME~1\JOSEPH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb197.dir00\Mini020706-03.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\JOSEPH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb197.dir00\sysdata.xml

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
try updating ur sound and gfx drivers, and perhaps directx.

the error seems to be driver generated, so check to see if any devices have problems in device manager and perhaps upgrade the drivers too. you could also try using compatibilty mode