Author Topic: Outpost 2's 10th Anniversary  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Outpost 2's 10th Anniversary
« on: January 20, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
On September 22nd, 1997, Outpost 2 was released. That means OP2's 10th anniversary will be a bit over a year and a half from now.
Yes, I know it's extremely early to start thinking about this, but I'd like to see more than just a generic OP2 reunion on the anniversary, but it seems there's little motivation when it comes to the community making and completing projects. Perhaps it'd be wise to start planning way prior to the actual event.

Edit: Fixed release date.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 03:28:31 AM by Arklon »

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 06:42:29 PM »
There's several projects going.
Please check the projects pages on this forum and on the wiki
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:59:49 PM »
There's several projects going.
Please check the projects pages on this forum and on the wiki
Well, Leviathan claims projects have a hard time getting started and actually being finished...

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:00:47 PM »
not everyone's a quitter
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:03:02 PM »
In any case, we still need plans for the anniversary.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »
We try to get more people working on projects and helping the community. Everyone can help on the wiki etc. But we still have few ppl working.

As for op2 being 10 years old not long now, its still a great game :D

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »
On July 31st, 1997, Outpost 2 was released. That means OP2's 10th anniversary will be a year and a half from now.

I was talking about that a few weeks ago. I have a year and a half, maybe by then I'll be able to make an OP2 mission do some crazy things for a Tenth Anniversary map.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 11:31:39 PM »
I might just finish a very big map that I've started half a year ago, but never had time to work on.
Are you sure that the date is exact?

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 01:17:10 AM »
How about we set some goals as a community to be compleated by the 10nth aniversary.

simple goals like 2 new world maps, 12 new 4 player maps ect

for the anniversery we could come up with a new shell interface, like I played with before. call it Outpost 2 Gold additon or something.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 03:27:59 AM »
Are you sure that the date is exact?
Nope, because I got it wrong the first time. Edited now.

Offline lordly_dragon

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 07:06:11 PM »
well i can ensure you that op3 genesis will be rdy  before the 10th birthday of op2 :)

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »
yea, mabe having a reasionable deadline will help drive more people to finish their projects
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 09:39:17 PM »
What I think may be a neat idea is a virtual musuem on the Outpost Community, our history, and our past and present efforts in this community. That or some sort of hall of fame.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 10:23:12 PM »
if its a musuem, than we must include all of our history, good and bad
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 12:07:16 AM »
What I think may be a neat idea is a virtual musuem on the Outpost Community, our history, and our past and present efforts in this community. That or some sort of hall of fame.
Good idea.
Outpost2 and this Community have a history and its worth to be kept in a museum, whether its good or bad.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 03:39:44 AM »
Ive allways wanted to make a web site called 'The Outpost 2 Vault' which containts totaly all OP2 stuff evea, all the images, texts etc. Thats what the wiki should be. Help me make my dream :)

Offline OP2Patriot

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 03:53:18 AM »
The museum could get its data from the wiki, various members, and the forum. We can update it every month or so to be more accurate.

... the wiki ... well, it just don't have that museum feel. Anyway, I might be able to contribute my novellas and some old OP2 downloads (such as a deVOLver).

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline Vexhare

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 07:40:26 PM »
lol... think far ahead... 20th anniversary. We could maybe actually get together in a convention type method and play in a lan method... now that would be friggin awesome.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 07:55:39 PM »
No. What if people can't afford to do that kind of thing?
Any museum should have the OP2 menu music playing.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »
we could make like a time capsule of data (pictures, the game data, etc)! I could put it on my hard drive and leave it until a set date, or put it on one of my spare hard drives and leave it to collect dust for 10, 20 years. Then we could put an original game in its box it a real time capsule with all our names and come back X years later and see how big our Universe got?

I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline thablkpanda

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 02:19:48 PM »
That's pimped.

The whole lets all get together and have a lan party is a great idea - just crappy for application. Most of us live in the U.S, but Lev's a foriegner- and it just wouldn't be the same without him. So we'd have to all meet in some specific place, that most of us wouldn't be familiar with- it's just impractical. Damn good idea, but impractical. I'd love to meet some of you guys in person - it wouldn't be like meeting for the first time - it's just kinda like seeing everyone again on mIRC, just in person.

We'd need lots of expensive wine too - and that's expensive.

I suggest a virtual (3d) museum - something that's Stormy's forte'. Something where you can move around, and like click on a certian object, and have that particular object be explained to you - I might be able to pull it off with Flash - it'd just be bulky and overweight. But it'd inlcude all major happenings from the past, and a video to watch at every 'station'.

I'm liking this.

-Chris

Offline Anima_Vex

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 07:33:19 PM »
LOL. Are you making Stormy do more work?! He's too young to have a job... XD Actually, both of us are too young to be employed, but this isn't employment, now, is it?
Wannabe Novelist, Drawer, Anime Style, and all-around creative insane person. I also like to study tactics... but RTC games aren't exactly easy to watch for such things... we don't actually think as much as we should, and that's why I love TBS games. However, that doesn't mean I don't like RTCs!

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 08:11:18 PM »
Heh, that's actually not too hard... we'd just have to code it differently.... in fact, if we NEEDED to, we could use Blender's crummy yet decent game engine (just so that you can move around and all that ... but I don't know...) the reason being, is that it would be a lot faster than creating/modding a game engine to do something like this. I can pull this off, I just need everyone to provide material. I'm thinking something... hmm, maybe a stone/marble wall, shiny pillars, glass celing type thing, a huge central dome... a central plaque with all the current OPU member's on it... Wow... maybe a checkerboard floor? xD.

I probably will be too busy to work on this until I get some stuff for school and I need to finish a few things on Genesis . (I'm looking at the weekend of March the 10th...)

Hmm, so we would need the folowing materials:

OP2 Images/screenshots
Various logos of projects
"famous" people hall of fame type thing
a list of the current OPU members
OP2 videos? (I can stick these on a painting type fixture and have it play off of that ;)
There is a lot we could do...

There is actually a Blender Web Plugin that will play the game on a website.. I think this is the way to go with something like this. A full fledged game engine like what we are using for Genesis just isn't practical for this...

You posted this just the right time :). We have a bit under a year to do this... that's easilly possible in that amount of time...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:14:09 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 08:38:08 PM »
And maybe we'll have distribution rights to OP2 by then... or perhaps complete rights (not sure if that's feasible, though).

Then we could interview Dan (lead programmer) without him getting pissed.

Offline Anima_Vex

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 01:39:05 PM »
Really? Wait... you guys are asking them for the distribution rights?

If you would be able to actually interview him, you could probably get him to tell you the meaning of those lines of code Leeor and everyone else that codes OP2 don't have the slightest iota of what they do. That could help.
Wannabe Novelist, Drawer, Anime Style, and all-around creative insane person. I also like to study tactics... but RTC games aren't exactly easy to watch for such things... we don't actually think as much as we should, and that's why I love TBS games. However, that doesn't mean I don't like RTCs!