Author Topic: Installing Op1 Again  (Read 3493 times)

Offline spirit1flyer

Installing Op1 Again
« on: December 24, 2005, 02:40:26 PM »
I have ran into new problems with installing OP1 version 1.5
I now can't even get to the screen I installed it from before  <_<

I end up with a few small errors that if they were fixed I might be able to install it so if anyone can help me, please do!

Application Error: Z:\AUTOPLAY.EXE
The instruction at 00410f5b referenced memory at 0007002e
the memory could not be read from
Click ok to terminate the application

I click okay and end up with another error

Dwwin.exe - Application Error
The exception breakpoint
a breakpoint has been reached
(0x80000003) occurred in application at location 0x7c901230
Click ok to terminate the program
click on cancle to debug the program

spirit

"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 12:15:34 PM »
Fun. I'll create a new installer for OP1 that's not RAR based but entirely Installer based that should properly install OP1 without any of OP1's problems. Go figure... older software never works right anymore.

Offline spirit1flyer

Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 12:29:01 PM »
well why don't you wait on that until you have some of your other things all done.
you have too many as it is  :rolleyes:

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 12:34:57 PM »
Creating an installer package is a simple matter of maybe 5 minuts. The complex part would be getting such a large file over to levi/hacker to make available for download.

Offline zigzagjoe

Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 04:04:18 PM »
try using the compatibility tab spirit- right click, properties, compatibility tab. try win95 on for size. also, you can run setup.exe directly.

Offline Mez

Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 06:15:52 AM »
Its the issues to do with the "system requirements" screen which you have to know to just ignore the warnings and carry on with the installation.  A new installation wizard would be a very good idea.
Instead of packaging the wizard with all the game files can you make the wizard first ask where the full directory of the installation is.  e.g. cd-rom drive.  then the wizard would access the files it needs to install op1 off the original CD.

This would then mean that you would only need to d/l the wizard an not all the game files.  AS people who want to install op1 normally already have teh disc and just have compatibilty issues.

Who really wants to d/l 350 mb again?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »
The problem is that the CD doesn't have all of the files. THere's also the Launch Control disk.

Secondly, I'm using a Windows Installer script and I'm really not sure how to get it to do that. It packages everything into CAB's that are then merged with the installer script.

I guess technically I could write a simple program to do the same thing for users who have the CD (and include the Launch Control Disk files) or who already have all of the source files.

Forgot to mention:
Using the Compatibility Tab just causes the original installer to crash so playing with that won't help. Just ignore all of the system tests and continue. It's old software and not very well written so you just kind of have to skip a lot of it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 03:34:03 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Installing Op1 Again
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »
yea ever sence I got my "new" computer op1 wouldnt install, I never got any errors, but the instal program would be minamized and I wouldnt be able to maxamize it
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode