Author Topic: Outpost Solar System  (Read 12366 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2005, 12:56:24 AM »
Isnt the Horse head Nebula a irregular shape tho.

The crab and Cats Eye nebula are the only 2 that i know of that have a symectrical shape.  Beatleguist i dont know

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 12:58:35 AM »
don't say his name anymore!

there are so many neat ones out there
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2005, 01:00:58 AM »
Cats Eye is the one i like.

But some Nebulas are said to be left overs that didnt form solar systems.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 01:01:44 AM »
there is evidence that sometimes after novaing, a star will reform, weird
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 01:07:23 AM »
ya because the gas can be reused they have found evidents that new stars might forum other thjen the original.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2005, 01:27:09 AM »
which could also explain how stars and planets are in nebulas
CK9 in outpost

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 01:56:54 AM »
you guys are getting primordial nebulae confused with stellar nebulae. the horse head nebula is a stellar nursery. it was once a vast field of gases but thru gravitational eddies, stars began to form. there is no evidence suggesting the horse head nebular was created by stars since the nebula itself is millions of times larger than our solar system. if you look at the picture of the horse head nebula, the points of light you see coming out the nebula are supermassive stars illuminating their stellar cocoon. a shroud of gas surrounding the newly born star which (due to the abundance of gas in the area) is several times larger than our entire solar system. the inside diameter of the cocoon alone is dozens of times the size of our solar system. compared to stellar nubulae which are created out of the dust of a nova'd star or the cast-off shroud of one. these nebulae are many orders of magnitude smaller than primordial nebulae, like the horse head nebula. the eagle nebula is another example of this. the cat's eye nebula is derived from a star gone nova and is many times smaller than the horse head or eagle nebula. stars can and do reform out of their own novas. it is believed that for our solar system to have the distrobution of elements it has now, our sun is at least in its 3rd generation. in other words, it has gone nova and reformed 3 times. this happens regularly throughout the universe. large nebulae can be so large that it is likely the bulk of their gas wont be concentrated in stars for billions of years. if you go on wikipedia and look at the pic of the horseh ead nebula, the points of light you see (that i referenced earlier) often contain groups of hundreds of stars. the horse head nebula is NOT small and cannot be compared in side to the cats eye nebula and other nebulae on that order of magnitude.

in reference to an earlier post, a planet that is cast into space would not lose its atmosphere simply becaus eit wasnt around a star anymore. internal heat generation and volcanic activity would not stop either. however, due to the lack of sunlight, the surface of the planet would indeed freeze and be uninhabitable. the end is the same, but the means are quite different.

also, binary star systems are VERY stable. the only disadvantage to being in a binary star system is that solar radiation is effectively doubled and the safe distance from the stars would also double depending on the types of stars in the system. for example, if one star were 'feeding' off the other (i wont go further into detail on these setups unless i need to right now), the stellar ribbon or 'funnel' would emit much more radiation due to the transit of stellar material from one star to the other. also, is a star is feeding off one it is likely because it is old and its fuel is running out. stars in this stage of life are usually hazardous and emitting large amounts of xrays and other radiation which would be bad for life.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 02:00:32 AM »
I thought he Horse head nebula was different  

Offline TRIX Rabbit

• http://androidar.deviantart.com/
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2005, 04:56:18 PM »

The crab and Cats Eye nebula are the only 2 that i know of that have a symectrical shape.  Beatleguist i dont know
beetlegiuse is a very large red supergiant (i like to call these hyper-giants) and its diameter is close to or bigger than mars' orbit. is it among the biggest stars we know of

binary stars that are absorbing matter from each other are likely to:
1: fuse into 1 star with 2 cores (if they are close) then go supernova type I
2: the one absorbing will go 'nova' and expel the stolen gas, repeating the prossess, or
3: both stars draw twoards each other and ahnnialate one another

Exciting, aint it?  
I'm more commonly known as AndroidAR now:
My deviantArt

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2005, 07:17:16 PM »
figures it would be a fan of betaray that would know that, lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2005, 07:27:22 PM »
lol, I still dont know why your such a fan of me lol

but yes, I even have a design for an energy source baised on the reactions that happon in a supernova
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2005, 07:31:44 PM »
and how were you planning on harnessing that energy?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2005, 07:38:11 PM »
its really complacated, but it does have alot to do with my low frequency betaray projector (wich my nick is baised off of)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2005, 07:44:56 PM »
and you've had that nick for how many years now?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2005, 07:57:28 PM »
I came up with the design back when I was in 6th grade, im in 12th now

I started playing op2 under this nick not much after

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2005, 08:00:54 PM »
beta's a year younger than me?  I would have never guessed...

anyway, back to the original topic:

what about one with two planets on the same orbital, only on opposite sides?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2005, 08:04:54 PM »
so they could never see eachother?

very intresting, you could have it so that eden launched, and than ply was able to launch and follow them, and when eden got to the system they found one planet, and by the time ply got there the planets would have shifted and ply would land on the other, each thinking they were the only ones to survive

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2005, 08:10:44 PM »
sounds like idealism.  I dont think such a orbit has been found not even in moons.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2005, 08:14:32 PM »
well of corse they would have to be exact, and be highly unlikely (like almost impossible) but this is sci fi, our universe, we can do whatever we want, persionally I think it would be a pretty good premace both coloneys settleing in all comfortable, untill they develop the space program again and find out they are not alone, and they start sending invading forces at eachother

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »
I think for something like that Eden would have to f*** some thing up big time for the 2 colonies to fight over one or both planets.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »
a star cannoy have 2 cores and there is no reaction in a supernova. a supernova occurs when the balance between the explosion of the already existant reaction inside the star takes precadent over the pull of gravity. essentially a star is in a delicate balance. a tug of war. the star wants to explode out and dissipate, but the pull of gravity due to its huge mass, keeps the explosion in a confined area. over time as nuclear material is used up and the star begins casting off much of its mass, the force gravity exerts weakens. when it gets to a certain point, the outward force of the sun overtakes the inward pull of gravity and the sun finally explodes (violently dissipates) in a nova. they are NOT caused by some new reaction inside the star.

also, it is impossible for 2 planets to orbit opposite sides of a star and not collide or orbit in such a way. the only way for this to happen is if one planet on an inner orbit has less mass than the one in the outer orbit and the one in the outer orbit just HAPPENS to have just large enough mass and fast enough orbit that they never see eachother. this is impossible. even if one planet weighed only 7 pounds more than the other, over the billions of years it takes for a solar system to form, eventually they would collide or be visible to one another. its impossible to have a planet setup like this.

stars are not solid objects. they are perpetually a plasma. therefore, two cores cannot exist simultaneously. thats like saying if i pour a cup of water into another cup of water, the two cups of water will still be seperate. its not possible. the two cores would merge, but only after a significant explosion. you are right about a parasite star exploding and reforming. there are several binary stars we know of that do this. so long as one is large enough, the explosion of the partner will not obliterate both.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2005, 08:57:55 PM »
I know that the orbits would never be that stable, gravaty fluxauations from the star, or a gas giant, even a metier impact would change the orbits so that the planets would be visible to one another

but like I said before, its sci-fi, so we can do whatever we want

btw, eden may do somthing to the star, perhaps doing somthing to increase its output to warm up their planet for terraforming, that would piss off plymouth alot

or mabe ply would do somthing this time around, you never know

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 08:58:01 PM »
I think it was a binary system that went super nova and The stars cores like became one or tore each other apart.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost Solar System
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2005, 07:42:06 AM »
Plymouth's planet is going to crash into Eden's planet, so Plymouth tries to blow up Eden's planet, unaware that Eden lives on the planet. After the missiles impact, Eden finds a pice of wreckage with the Plymouth insignia on it. So then Eden finds out Plymouth is on the other planet and then two weeks later there's a huge army of Thor's Tigers surrounding a Plymouth mining outpost. When Plymouth finds out it's been destroyed, they start building up their own army and everything starts over again.

Then to tick Plymouth off Eden sends some scientists to Plymouth's planet and starts terraforming it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Outpost Solar System
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2005, 11:24:23 AM »
I just thought of something:

why are the planet orbits, with the exception of pluto, in such good alignment?  I mean, you can use the paths as lines and they would overlap into one line.  Is it impossible for them to appear perpendicular to one another?
CK9 in outpost