Poll

Eden Nitrogen Oil grenade & Plymouth X-ray

Good Idea?
7 (46.7%)
Bad Idea?
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Weapon Idea  (Read 9403 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« on: December 04, 2005, 12:52:31 AM »
These units if they could be added  <_< .  Would add a balance for the small eden units and the heavy plymouth units.  

Eden Nitrogen Oil Grenade (NOG) is to rival the Sticky Foam.
Plymouth X-ray is to rival the Thors Hammer.

http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=2311
look there for more info.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:53:31 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 02:20:17 AM »
Come on people lol

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:22:43 AM »
I just plain don't know.  :unsure:  

Offline omagaalpha

Weapon Idea
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 04:54:25 AM »
lol say bad idea for names don't even fit into outpost 2 style
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 07:12:49 PM »
What's with nitrogen oil? Nitrogen isn't an oil. I guess there is where you say something about oil being mixed with nitrogen or something. But the name just doesn't sound right. Besides, it doesn't seem like mixing nitrogen and oil would make much sense to me.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 07:40:45 PM »
Liquid Nitrogen  and  some kind of oil

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 07:51:24 PM »
So what's the point of mixing them then? I think the oil might actually be solid at that temperature. Or at least very slow moving.

Offline Sirbomber

Weapon Idea
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 08:27:46 PM »
These are good ideas, because it will balance the game out more. And they'll only be on special maps I'd assume. If you don't like them, don't play them.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 08:39:01 PM »
I am thinking of more of putting them on a multimap.  And definatly putting them on a pie map.

And you know if enough people like it.  Its a possiblity to put it in the entirty of the game
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 08:46:50 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »
I was just thinking that the granades would just be filled with liquid nitrogen, wich would freeze the joints and moters of the vec, as well as doing some dmg (mettal gets very brittle at that temp)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:57:35 PM »
that is why the liquid nitrogen is inside one half of the gernade and the oil in the other.  and I already though of that by having a cold barrel. by cooling it with a heat bleader.

And if that doesnt work for people its call insulation by using some kind of plastic.  on the inside of the barrel.  And the heat bleader would still be used so that there isnt a sudden shock to the barrel when some thing that cold go through the barrel.

But then the Grenade its self could be insulated.

It would do some damage to the other vec but not much.  And it would stop the movement of the vec becase the oil that would be used would expand when freezing like water does and jam things tight together.

As for the weapons not sounding OP2ish.  They seem to be to me.  Microwave weapon X-ray Weapon not much different.  Eden using something over complicated and techy.  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 02:27:25 AM »
The X-ray sounds OP2-ish. The other one I'm not so convinced of.

I think maybe one of the issues I have with it, is it's not sticky, but it still works like it. Seems like there needs to be a little more difference. Like how EMP and sticky are different, although similar. Similar is good. Eden needs some sort of delay tactic, but duplicating sticky doesn't work for me. What's different about this weapon?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 12:48:06 PM »
Sticky Foam is a simple tech very easy to make and such.

The "Cold Cannon" uses more extravogant way of stopping a vec using techs and different liquids that can only be produced in a lab

EMP and sticky may be different but emp cost more and does more then just stop a vec.

The eden weapon is simular to the sticky in the sence that it stops the vec but allows it to fire.  As for it using ice and such.  I didnt want a star trek sounding dampining feild weapon lol.  It had to be a early tech but it also needed to stand away from the sticky because it uses different matterial.  Not just some 2 part epoxy.  

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »
I just found this out

X-ray Laser
G. H. Miley*
U.S. Air Force
B. Karabut et al. recently reported 1-2 keV x-ray laser
emission from metal targets such as Ti and Pd, which
serve as the cathode in a high-current deuterium glow
discharge. These experimental results are briefly reviewed
here. This unique laser provides a shorter wavelength and
more compactness than previously reported for tabletop
x-ray lasers. It is proposed that lasing is related to
anomalous transfer of energy through recoil events
when a highly loaded (D/metal atom ratio) metal hydride
is bombarded with a high current ion beam. Then energy
associated with the deuteron desorption/flow from the
overheated cathode surface creates nonequilibrium lattice
phonons, which excite a metastable super-cell state in the
loaded metal. An experimental-theoretical study of this
laser is under way at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign.

sounds intresting
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline siqueule

Weapon Idea
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 05:56:24 AM »
I think not that is a good idea that plymouth and eden have similar weapons; the interest of op2 it's precisely to find the favour compared to the other colony and destroy them!
in connection with the new weapon, I thought  a firestar with some superconductive reels posed above, to imitate the tokamaks in full collapse, that could be fun... that wouldn't be the emp missile either ;)  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 02:06:47 PM »
this is about the balance of the game there is no balance right now and they dont have simular weapons (othere then Mic/laser RPG/Rail EMP Starflare Acid/ESG) or eden would have some kind is delay weapon like the sticky all they get is EMP and that takes a little while to get. while Plymouth can get a sticky weapon which may not do much damage has a range and stopping power.

As for that Emp starflare/nova is vec that can be hit with a emp is not equal to a EMP missile because of the fact that meteor def cant take care of more then 2 missiles.  That would cause a imbalance.  And we alll know people love to emp missile the s*** out of eden because they have thor.   If Plymouth has the X-ray weapon to rival the thor there wouldnt be such a need for massive bombarbment and the emp missile could go back into a defencive mode.

Offline Sirbomber

Weapon Idea
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »
Don't lie to yourself; people will still use massive EMP Missile bombardments.
They'll just use them less because of the new expensive units they can use.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 07:39:59 PM »
if they can make massive kick but machines i dont think they will use it.  they will still use it and be gayer then ever lol

Offline siqueule

Weapon Idea
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2005, 03:20:05 AM »
but plymouth bombards already massively eden! when I go see the screenshots of the multiplayers games, it's ever a lot of thor's tigers against a lot of emp-supernovae tigers! and the world is domined by plymouth, they have 60% :blink:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort

Offline Sirbomber

Weapon Idea
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 07:10:07 AM »
Actually, no, the Red Team has 60%, and both teams started with 50%. And I was on the red team, playing as Eden, getting a lot of land for red.
Red team doesn't mean Plymouth, and Blue team doesn't mean Eden.
And I think the last world domination game was a few months ago...

That was kinda off-topic, but that needed to be explained.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 01:27:19 PM »
Massive thor bombardments could be shut down with some help from the X-ray gun see. that way you dont have to rely on a one time use weapon like a supernova.

Offline siqueule

Weapon Idea
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
yes but with this tactic, the winner is the guy who has the more of tigers :(

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 03:15:16 PM »
It usually is any way even if you do use a EMP nova combo.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Weapon Idea
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 06:46:46 AM »
1) Wouldn't the liquid nitrogen thing also freeze down the weapon system of a unit ? not just slow/stop it's movement..?

2) Freeza, have you ever played a 2 vs 2 game where Plymouth and Eden combined plays vs 2 others. Back in the days, the Eden player would supply the fighting means while the Pkymouth player carpet missiled the enemy forces. This tactic should be able to beat off most counteroffensives. With the Plymotuh X-ray thing, your basicly suggesting to combine Eden and Plymouths best offensive powers.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I could get my hands on both "Thors Hammer" and EMP Missiles from the same colony, I'd be rubbing my hands and planning for World Domination.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Weapon Idea
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 11:24:03 AM »
1 that is why there is Oil with the nitrogen and nitrogen vapor doesnt rise very high so the weapon would not get frozen.  Pretty much freezing the wheels to the ground.

2 you are talking about a balanced game and a ideal situation.  Dont forget people play 1v1 and Eden v Ply.