Author Topic: Op2 Wishlist  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Harky

Op2 Wishlist
« on: November 30, 2005, 07:06:14 PM »
I was just thinking of changes and additions that would make Outpost 2 easier/more fun to play and i was wondering if anyone had any other sugestions.

********** NO CHANGES TO THE GAMEPLAY PLEASE **********
 this inclues things like adding building's, weapons, changing vechs stats ect
     (i think the reason OP2 is still around is because of the gameplay)

Things i would like to see added...

1)More Multiplay Colours - And being able to select them in the drop down menu
2)Make the debug menu work properly make it so you can test multiplay maps wihtout you wining instantly, make the race selector work, also give it a colour selector too..giving it a real op2 menu background would be nice too)
3)Make a minimap option to show you units as green, Allies units as yellow, and enemy units as red (this would help solve the problem wiht black being hard to see)

** will add more as i think of more**
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 07:08:33 PM by Harky »

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 07:15:50 PM »
Multiplayer maps with AI. Anything harder than La Cor/Peacekeeper's AI.
Yeah, new colors would be good. Maybe even have "patterns" etc so your buildings have striped effects or something. Maybe they can even have writting on them! (thinks of the "unit mission" cutscenes and imagine the lynx having "OWNED!" written on the side driving over a piece of scrap metal that has "Uber Leet" on it instead of Eden/Plymouth)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Harky

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 07:30:08 PM »
I think at the distance the view is away from the units.. words would not be legeble.. just maybe a different shade of brown or grey.. so really theres no point in adding it

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:33:41 PM »
That's what the zoom in/out buttons are for!  ;)  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 07:42:05 PM »
The size of the unit graphics in the data files don't really allow for legible text.

The multiplayer testing thing is easy enough to get around. Comment out the victory conditions while you're testing levels. I know, it kinda sucks the way it does that, but then, there wasn't really supposed to be that debug menu in the release version.

Offline Harky

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 07:57:28 PM »
That doesnt increase the detail tho..  

Offline lordly_dragon

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:05:59 PM »
could it be hard to add a marker command where you can ring a certain region of the card

example i look at blue base my enemie i press the button ALPHA or click on the command ALPHA

my allie cyan receive alliance information aquired and then press space bar to see what i pointed to him or a visual signal in the mini map  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:14:13 PM »
Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I can see how that is useful. It would seem to be possible to make a mod like that, but I'm not sure how the interface would work at all. From a technical perspective, when you add a message in game, you can choose to associate a location with it. Normal text messages from players won't have a location associated with them. Of course how you'd interect with the game to specify that location is beyond me.

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 02:08:46 AM »
the debug menu does work. missions will exit after they r loaded if they have a vistory condition. just disable it in ur mission and u can load it with out it exiting rite away.

i dont think we can do n e thos suggestions?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:06:28 PM »
Well, I think it would be a good idea to fix those tech level, etc selectors in the Run Script window.. I wouldn't think it'd be super hard to do that.

As for adding more colors, we could do that as long as we could be sure that it's not going to cause crashes, like what may have happened with the black color.

As for the marker thing, that would be a really cool thing but we really don't have enough knowledge of the game engine when it's running at this point.

The menus are one thing, the in game stuff is another. Most people don't realize this, but the menus (the stuff you see before you load a game, up until you get to the normal game screen (with the silver colored bars)) are handled by a different code module than the rest of the game is.
The menus are part of the game "shell" which is responsible for telling the game engine what to do (start a single player map? Multiplayer? etc)

We know probably less about the internals of the engine itself than we do about the shell. Not to mention it's more work to discover and understand the main engine code than it is in the shell.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 03:32:31 PM »
How about the ablity to share researched topics with your allies.  This might be strange but if you could do Eden swaping research with ply and being able to build vecs from both sides.

Adding more colors would be the one i would like to see. and being able to select them.  

I do like the idea about the mini map.

Offline PUNK_FOX

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 07:02:10 AM »
I like Colony games with A.I because its more of a challenge. Did anyone create a new colony game because I want 2 play one, but it has 2 have A.I. :D  
Punk Staind Blood

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 07:10:53 AM »
There are new missions comeing out next week at the reunion ! :D

The first four missions for the Outpost: Renegades campaign. Check out its forum, webpage, wiki page for more info.

Keep on topic please.

Offline Fiologist

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 03:19:57 AM »
I would like to see colony games go 2 ways.

#1. Use a variety of maps form the multi player choices if not all.

#2. Be able to toggle if a computer opponent/opponents gets to play against you.

Sometimes i just want to build a colony without having to rush into def. mode causing me to comprimise the way i would like my colony laid out.

I dont know if thats possible but that is my wish as it is hard to find a player to do B&T or when you do the time it takes is usually too long and they are forced to quit. It will also allow us to save the colony for future work........

Has this been brought up before?

Offline vandozeir

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 01:04:51 PM »
I totally agree. i would like to be able to play multiplayer maps with or without a computer opponent. Being able to freestyle build colonies on multiplayer maps would be hours of enjoyment. Can anyone get back to me if this would be possible? we already have the maps. just being able to set it up with only one person shouldnt be hard, ( ihope)

Offline Sl0vi

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 02:31:51 PM »
I totally agree. i would like to be able to play multiplayer maps with or without a computer opponent. Being able to freestyle build colonies on multiplayer maps would be hours of enjoyment. Can anyone get back to me if this would be possible? we already have the maps. just being able to set it up with only one person shouldnt be hard, ( ihope)
You can play on multiplayer maps on your own.

First open OP2 and create a game, then alt+tab, and open a new OP2 client, and join your game with that one and click ready. Alt+tab until your back in the OP2 your hosting with, and start! (You can do this several times, perhaps a 3v3 with yourself ;) )

Ofcourse this will create 2 colonies, and you'll have to be careful that the other one doesn't die so the game ends, but this works.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 02:35:57 PM »
Yeah, it would be totally possible. Basically it would be like taking a multiplayer map and then removing the victory conditions.

At one point we were going to make that Multiplayer Tutorial useful where the computer would send waves of combat units at your base, and make them progressively harder.

I think another idea for a colony game would be something where you have to 'survive for 30 minutes', and units are massed and sent to your base. However, in this version you could tweak the settings, perhaps upload or download 'settings files' to make the mission as easy or as hard as you wanted.

As for a 'full on' computer opponent, well, no one has written an AI that would perform really well yet (any 'AI' that has been made is basically a list of commands, for example, at mark 500 create 2 lynxes, or on approaching the AI base, move 2 lynxes to defend, etc)

I think Eddy might have one in the works.

Offline vandozeir

Op2 Wishlist
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 02:39:44 PM »
holy_____,.!!! wow i never knew that!!!!!!!!!!! big thanks this is gonna keep me busy for a long time