Author Topic: Opu Servers  (Read 13176 times)

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 08:55:21 AM »
If you want a distro based on Red Hat get Fedora Core.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 02:27:05 PM »
Yeah, I'd say at this point at least FC2 or higher based distro..

Personally I'm not much of a fan for any Red Hat distros, personally I like Debian, and I like slackware (slackware is not for the faint of heart however. Yes, it was the first linux distro I played with, but the going was pretty rough (I knew about 10% of what I know now involving UNIX / Linux))

Slackware is the hardest to use but it's also very good for power users like myself who like to tweak everything they can tweak (and it's not too demanding of your system resources as some other distros can be. Though, I don't know how the current slackware distro is, I've only ever used 9.1).

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Opu Servers
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
Ok I have a FTP backup site setup on my webserver for anyone who wants to use it.

ftp://iliketoburnthings.kicks-ass.net

port 21

Max upload to server : Unknown?

Average Download from server : 40kbsec

max space : to be determined

pm me with the name you want and your password you desire

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 03:20:07 PM »
Thx for leting us use the server Moogle :)

Whats your connection speed, and its runing windows yea?

Offline zhukant

Opu Servers
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
Well, I have several questions.

First of all, how can I tell that my computer is a server or not? I know it's not one of those big supercomputers they have at my mom's work, but it could be some other type of server.
Second, what exactly will you need servers for? Added to this question, how much memory/space will you be using up? If I decide to allow you to use my computer, I wouldn't want to give you ALL of it's working capability, would I? This is not a rhetorical question, by the way :P.
Finally, if I give you access to my computer, will you be able to see everything stored on it? I do have personal and private things stored on it, and I wouldn't want it to get into the wrong hands.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 04:26:59 PM »
Any computer can be a server, as long as its not real slow :)

We prolly wouldnt want to use computers that you use on a day to day basis. Well linux maybe because you wont c what were runing on ur desktop. Well runing programs can prolly be hiden in windows also from your view.

A server is a machine which is on 24/7.

I said in the first post what we would prolly use em for.

Small programs dont need much space.

We wouldnt push a machine to its limit by using all of the CPU, that takes a lot to do anyway. You may be runing things on it as well and we would make sure our stuff didnt interfere with them.

If you give us 100% access (root on linux) then we have 100% access but if you dont then we dont have access to your personal files then do we :P And anyway any of your own stuff we would not interfere, copy files or tamper with.

Offline zhukant

Opu Servers
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 05:40:54 PM »
Thanks, Lev.

Since you say that you wouldn't want to use a machine that I use regularly, then it would probably be a bad idea. I'm on this most of the time I'm at home. This machine is also on the slow side. It has 256 MB of ram, barely enough to run all of my programs. Maybe I'll get a new computer soon, and make that into a server. Until that, sorry for the trouble. :(
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 06:08:46 PM »
No trouble at all. Glad to help and answer questions as allways.

Yea if ur using ur comp which aint that good anyway you wouldnt want extra stuff on it.

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2006, 08:28:36 PM »
webhosting would also be welcome :)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Opu Servers
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2006, 11:32:33 PM »
If you want to run a server but don't have the technical knowledge to install a proper OS, let us know and we can walk you through installing the OS.
how about I think it would be kinda cool to, but the spare parts around my house are very outdated?  There's a server box in my garage that my dad took home from work when they were being audited, :heh: and the computer I convinced my dad to let me put windows 98 back onto.

The box has been completely scavenged, we took everything out of it 'cause it was having issues, but I know where all the parts are and know well enough how to put it together again.  

If I get an opportunity to, I'm going to see if dear old dad let me just have one, seeing as I REALLY want a stationary comp that I can dump some of my files on so I can keep my laptop as clean as possible, and if I can I could keep a seperate drive on it for that.  We have quite a few hard drives, memory cards, graphics cards, sound cards, power boxes, ect.  They are a bit "obsolete" but if it works it works, right?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 11:39:29 PM by CK9 »
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 02:17:44 AM »
i think it would depend on how slow it is and the size of the drives  Size of the drives mostly.

Offline HaXtOr

Opu Servers
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 08:46:43 AM »
woot people are actualy useing my server ^_^

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 10:01:41 AM »
i think it would depend on how slow it is and the size of the drives  Size of the drives mostly.
What if I were to put 5 drives into the computer?  All are in the Meg capacities (128 and 256).
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Sl0vi

Opu Servers
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2006, 06:34:48 PM »
I'm currently working on setting my old comp up as a server. Got ftp and Apache running on it at the moment :D

It's a P2 233 mhz, 64 mb ram, 6 GB harddisk. Running WinME at the moment, but I plan on "upgrading" to Win98. This baby is about the same age as OP2, and I remember many good hours of playing OP2 on it too. :D

I hope on being able to keep it running 24/7, and would like to share it with you guys.

Edit - My connection speed is 1024/256. Made a small mistake there :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 07:38:42 PM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 09:44:51 AM »
Thanks Sl0vi. Sounds good :)

If you need help seting stuff up just ask!

Offline thablkpanda

Opu Servers
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 11:31:43 PM »
Right now my 'personal' server's not doing s***. But I've got 20 slide-in rack servers pushing Xenon's at work, with about a terabyte of total space. We're using about 300 gigs for programs, and 100 gigs of documents, and the rest are sitting there doing nothing.

It's on RedHat linux, I forget what version, and again, very stagnant. I'd much rather it be put to use. However, I need to resolve it to a domain name, which involves more work than I have time for at the moment.

I'll get back to you guys with more detailed info.. like RAM, i have no earthly idea how much ram I put in those babies.

-Chris

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »
there is no need to resolve it to a domain name

Offline Mez

Opu Servers
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2006, 06:36:53 AM »
What if I were to put 5 drives into the computer?  All are in the Meg capacities (128 and 256).
I would try and get a raid card or two, and set up an array using all of your drives.  That way the access times will be greatly reduced, and be a viable solution to "dump" files on the HDD's
It would also prevent HDD failure becoming a problem.  AS if one drive goes down, you can rebuild/still access all of your data (As the drives sound used and old)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Opu Servers
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »
well, I was getting the comp I have been given out of the garage and I noticed another one that was torn apart.  It had a 20 GB HD, 1 memory card, and an INtel Celeron processor (all of which I have pocketed in case they become useful to me).

I was fortunate to find that a network card had already been installed onto the computer before, so I don't have to go out and buy one, but I will have to find a good monitor for a low price, the only one we have available is from way back when we had windows 3.0, a VERY long time ago
CK9 in outpost

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Opu Servers
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2006, 12:25:46 PM »
I thought I would offer up my services just because I like OP2 soooo much, haha.

First, I have some paid webhosting it has 20GB of space and 1TB a month. I would be glad to offer any amount (leave some room for me though, lol).

Next, I have a Dell Server with Dual 3.06Ghz HT Xeons, 1GB DDR RAM, and 2x150GB SATA drives running on RAID 1 (can do RAID 0 if worried bout backups). Windows 2k3 installed. The one down side is I only have 256kb/s up right now. I am going to upgrade it to 512kb/s if I have a reason. I can give you remote desktop access if you need.

Hope this can help you guys.  I know Im new to the site, but Im here to stay.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline HaXtOr

Opu Servers
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 01:57:42 PM »
wow! that is a heck of a server!

anyone know how to setup a email server?

Offline Leviathan

Opu Servers
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2006, 02:14:42 PM »
it would be real sweet if we could have web hosting :)

because of the space we wouldnt use it for files, just forum and maybe site. that dosent take up much space at all.

thanks

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Opu Servers
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2006, 02:43:26 PM »
I would be glad to host this site on my hosting :)

What OS are you putting the mail server on?
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Starfox00000

Opu Servers
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2006, 05:41:08 PM »
I have an old comp (pII 233 32mb ram 30 gig hd) that i dont even use really. It would have to be behind a router and i really dont have any idea how to set it up, so tell me what to do and its all yours.

Offline HaXtOr

Opu Servers
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2006, 06:01:40 PM »
Im switching my servers slowly over to linux, working on being abble to host other sites on my NEW doimain www.jertechonline.com