Author Topic: Damage / Attacking  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Leviathan

Damage / Attacking
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:50:38 AM »
Ive just started adding the data for vec's, colony and miltary.

I was thinking units could get damaged in battle and they would like goto half healththen they would need to go to the garage to be repaired.

So a unit could be full health, half health or killed.

What ya think?

As for attacking im not sure how ill work it out but it will be something to do with values that each player has. Defence and Offence value.

Currently im looking at the SK calculations.
attackcalculations.txt

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 10:12:29 AM »
Oh joy i was waiting for this one

I think the vecs should be split into classes this will also determine there damage and there colony defence.

Lynx models
Laser/Microwave Class 1  they has attack of 1 | defence of 1.

Sticky Foam        Class 2  This has a attack of 2 | defence of 3 and would also        lower the chance of a successful attack and defence by enemies.

EMP                   Class 2  This has no Attack | Defence of 4 and would also lower the chances of a successful attack and defence by enemies.

RPG                   Class 3 This has a attack of 3 | Defence of 4

Rail Gun             Class 3 this has a attack of 3 | Defence of 3 (This has a lower defence because it can not fire over walls and buildings)

ESG                   Class 4 this has a attack of 4 (vecs only) | defence of 5 (because of its lasting effect and number of mines but cant attack buildings and has no friendly fire)

Acid Cloud          Class 4 this has a attack of 4 | defence of 2 (Not a very defencive vec because of its friendly fire on buildings and friendly vecs.)

Thors Hammer    Class 5 this has a attack of 5 | defence of 5

I think there needs to be a Heavy Microwave that Plymouth can have so they can have a matching Class 5 unit.

Now Say when you research a topic like Heat Distribution.  It would add +1 to the attack and def to all Class 1 units you own except those you steal.
a research like Indepent turret power would add +1 to all vec classes

The advanced armoring would add a +1 to def on all Lynx units

Panthers would have a + 2 to attack and def (+2 to base stats of the lynx)
Reinforced panther construction would add +1 to the def

Tigers would have a + 4 to attack and def (+4 to base stats of the lynx)
Maybe the speed upgrade could be avlible and that would upgrade the Def +1 for tigers.

the number of units and the Class of units would dictate the percentage that you would get for defence and attack.  Now since in OP2 you can see vecs i figured it would work like this.  Based on the enemy you want to watch out for or attack it would give you a rough estimate of there Defence and your possiblity of attack.  

Now i dont have any math models because i am lazy but i might make some up later and see how they come out.

I forgot about GPs

Take the Base lynx models and put 0 attack (because attack is for attacking the enemy base) and put +1 defence for each model and then have you get the armore upgrade for GPs the defence goes up +1

Guard Posts base stats
Laser/Microwave Class 1  they has attack of 0 | defence of 2.

Sticky Foam        Class 2  This has a attack of 0 | defence of 2 and would also        lower the chance of a successful attack and defence by enemies.

EMP                   Class 2  This has no Attack | Defence of 5 and would also lower the chances of a successful attack and defence by enemies.

RPG                   Class 3 This has a attack of 0 | Defence of 5

Rail Gun             Class 3 this has a attack of 0 | Defence of 4 (This has a lower defence because it can not fire over walls and buildings)

ESG                   Class 4 this has a attack of 0 (vecs only) | defence of 6 (because of its lasting effect and number of mines but cant attack buildings and has no friendly fire)

Acid Cloud          Class 4 this has a attack of 0 | defence of 2 (Not a very defensive GP because of its friendly fire on buildings and friendly vecs.)

Thors Hammer    Class 5 this has a attack of 0 | defence of 6
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:18:03 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Leviathan

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 10:30:06 AM »
Good work but im afraide your values are flawed.

A Microwave is not 1 because a RPG is not 3 times as powerfull.

Im not sure of the values rite now.

But say a unit has a attack value of 5 and costs 1000 ore, thats 500 for chassie and 500 for weapon say.

A weapon which has a attack value of 6 and is mounted on the same chassie whould would cost 1100.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:58:53 AM »
So you think the RPG would have a attack of 2 and a def of 3
that would make the Rail gun 2 and 2 because of the cant fire over wall thing

I see so you want to have blank chassies and then Add what weapon you want to them later.  That seems like a extra un needed step to me but it would also add a Weapons plant that would build the turrets.  I think that would work tho.

I dont think having HP on the vecs would work very well because at one point there might be so many that its just pointless to repair when you can make a new vec.  But if you wanted to repair a vec the garage would be the place but i would hope it could hole more then 6 and have mass repair.  But the repair done in the garage would take so many workers per vec.  then there is the in field repairs done by the spiders and repair vec which can only repair to Half heath.  the only problem i see with the HP is having it all be monitored in real time I think this might cause some major lag if there are 20 colonies with 200 vecs each and have to be all monitored constantly to know what there hp is.  Usually games like this just use the Defence and Attack percentages in a range that will dictate how many vecs will be lost in a attack.  you send in 10 with a Attack of 20 and the forces you engage have a defence of 30 then you might get a percentage with in the range of 30 to 45 percent and it would randomly pick from that range.

Offline Leviathan

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »
I see so you want to have blank chassies and then Add what weapon you want to them later.  That seems like a extra un needed step to me but it would also add a Weapons plant that would build the turrets.  I think that would work tho.
That is how op2 does it. Each chassies has a cost and so does each weapon.

And i didnt say  the RPG would have a attack of 2 and a def of 3. I was saying the RPG is not 3 times as powerfull as the microwave.

Say a weapon has a value of 10 then a weapon three times stronger has a value of 30.

What i was saying was you cant use value 1 for the weakest value because the weapon above it is not two times as strong.

I didnt suggest HP i just suggested two values for HP, full HP and half HP (damaged).

I wanted to have garage's and repairs for vecs because thats like op2.  And yes they would hold more and 6 units, remember im not using op2 buildings, im using buildings which are much larger. 4x4 or 5x5 squares in op2 terms big is each building.

I dont plan on including spiders/scorps and there is no field repairs. Well maybe i could add it later. Each spider you have increaces your attack/defence strength beause units could last longer if their geting repaired.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:28:38 PM »
hmmm so if its not 3 times as power full then what should it be.  Your Microwave/laser is your base unit which is why i set it at one but it gets bonuses from research just like in op2.

Offline Leviathan

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 12:41:08 PM »
Ok ive just looked in weapons.txt.

Microwave has 20 concussion damage and 20 penetration damage.
RPG has has 60 concussion damage and 40 penetration damage.
These values change when research is done of chorse.

That would make the RPG allmost 3 times as powerfull as the Microwave. (well seams u were allmost right :P) But still there are values in between for other weapons and whats why u cant set the weakest weapon as 1 because i dont want values with points, only whole numbers.

In Colony Wars each unit will just have two values, attack and defence.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 11:56:13 AM »
So you would rather use numbers like 10 20 30 and so on

If so that isnt hard just add a zero to all my number and you got some thing that might please you

I wouldnt use a dual type damage tho like Percussion and Penitration.  I would just use a basic Damage it does this much damage and thats it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 11:58:43 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Leviathan

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 12:23:43 PM »
Yea i just said each unit will have two values, attack and defence. ESG, Sticky Acid Cloud and EMP would have a higher defence than attack.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
I would think that the Acid would have a lesser defence because of its friendly fire

Offline Sl0vi

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 08:25:02 PM »
hmm.. how about instead of just making it attack/defence points, which just makes ppl mass produce the best units. Instead make the combat system so that some weapons are good against certain units. Like ESG/Acids should be very powerful against lynx, but you could counter this by using panthes or tigers instead. RPG/Rails could perhaps be best against panthers and maybe also tigers, but would have a hard time hitting the faster lynxes.

This is the system most mmo strategy games I know use, because it adds more strategy. So just massing the best units, will actually give you a poor army, because ppl would just bring the best units to counter them. So instead you need to balance your army a little.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 02:37:25 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Sl0vi on this 1.

http://underworld.dawnofmyth.net/army.php?rase=1

This link shows how it is done in 1 game I've played.
Each unit has a certain amount of Armament, does a certain amount of damage and works against these types of units. ETA also tells you how quick these units will attack in a battle. (This may be equivalent to range in OP2. i.e emp will strike before a laser will etc..)

May I also suggest we pull in different type of attacks ?
1) (Following my idea from Land thread) Steal mine
2) Send in x-amount of evec transports will earn you colonists.
3) using starflares will destroy structures. (Assuming other weapons will only kill moveable units)
4) Sending cargo trucks will steal resources..

Also, by dividing up your army you may attack more than 1 type of target (from those mentioned above)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
I agree also,

BTW, What did Freeza mean by percussion up above?  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 11:01:10 PM »
i think i meant concussion

Offline Vexhare

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
This is all interesting... but what about the Supernova. How would that be incorporated?  7 attack :: defense 0? starflares as mentioned above would also be hard to incorporate... some more things to think about.

Offline Leviathan

Damage / Attacking
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »
This is the area where im still most unsure about.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Damage / Attacking
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
Well yes it would be 0 because really what can it defend it a unit that blows up lol made for suicides