Author Topic: Outpost 2 Colony Wars  (Read 18897 times)

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 04:23:17 PM »
Well there can be multi options and servers. One will sure be a round based game where each round lasts a month or two. This is how other web games are, Domminion is on round 23 now.

And i do like the idea of having a never ending server.

But you can never completely conquer a area/planet unless i put a land limit on it.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2005, 04:26:25 PM »
Well, it'd be kinda strange having a planet that never ends, wouldn't it?
Oh, and if there are starships or whatever, they should be very hard to build, especially since they can be reusable.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 04:28:13 PM »
Well it dosent take that long to get them in OP2.

But it will be the same thing, lots of research then ore spending for the spaceport etc.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 04:33:25 PM »
I know it doesn't take very long in OP2, but in this, a space program will increase your power exponentially. You have an entire world to yourself to colonize without interruption, and this is the future, maybe you can launch orbital cannons.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 05:08:59 PM »
Well the game will be much slower than OP2 but still real time. Maybe take a week or two to research etc.

Also what about if you can give your allies research, that would mean your sector could help each other out and you could tech up faster etc.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 05:09:41 PM by Leviathan »

Offline lordly_dragon

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 10:02:19 PM »
one thing i noticed how will work the attack :

is it immediate result and X hour to return or it take X hour to go X hour to go back

after we need to set how the unit lost will goes (cuz even if you attack and you are outnumbered you should be able to kill someone)

here what i say

player A decide to attack player B and player c is  player A allie so its take them X and Y hour to go ... if they calculate corect they will attack for 4 Hour together B.... but B has an allie that can send unit to a defence mission for the number of time he want (off course there is Z hour to go )  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2005, 04:28:11 AM »
Well im gonna calculate a PlayerAttack Value and a PlayerDefence Value. I want help and input on this of chorse.

Currently ive just taked a look at the StarKingdoms calculations: http://www-und.ida.liu.se/~andli382/skguid...alculations.txt]attackcalculations.txt[/URL]t www-und.ida.liu.se/~andli382/skguide/

Each unit in StarKingdoms has a attack value and a defencive value.

Soldiers 1, Troopers 4, Dragoons 5, Tanks 9 and TF's 12 for their attack values.

And yes even if you fail an attack you will kill some of their units.

Also remember there are lots of units in OP2 and their values have to be similar to OP2, and with research of chorse their values will change :D

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2005, 11:09:42 AM »
i'll say what i said the 1st time you mentioned something like this:

it might work, or it might fail horribly.

now i'll add this:

what programming language will you use for colony wars?

java perhaps, and then make it playable via a browser?
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2005, 11:20:43 AM »
Ezekel Visual Basic, i said that in the first post :P

It may be browser based one day, and IRC.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2005, 11:57:35 AM »
How about the Trade Center acts as a communications buildings and without it you can't talk to your allies/etc? But if you get a spaceport you can launch a comm sat so you can always talk.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2005, 11:59:21 AM »
Sounds like a nice idea, anything to make it a more individual game and outpost like is good.

Tho command centers would probly do communication imo. What do ppl think?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 12:00:00 PM by Leviathan »

Offline lordly_dragon

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2005, 06:39:21 PM »
well the command center could be the first building you would have to build and we should put different attack mode like cc rush (200% casualty for the attacker defender has a 100% more defence and with casualty 50% or things like that)  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2005, 06:54:53 PM »
Well SK and Dom have Probeing and Espionage where you can do stuff like steal goods, attack power plants, find out what stuff they have and more.

I know im gonna make it so players can send scouts to find out what other colonys have.

And you would start with a CC :P

Also i was thinking each sector could only be one race only, eden or plymouth. What ya think?

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
No, that'd be bad. Only Eden vs Eden or Plymouth vs Plymouth = bad.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »
Looks good so far.

I think it should be possible to do stuff like sabotage other people's buildings.. research.. etc.

it is an MMORPG so some things can happen that are outside the realm of OP2 as an RTS.

MMORPG i've played: http://war.coldfirestudios.com/

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2005, 04:01:57 PM »
Its not rly a MMORPG, thats a different game where you would be a character in a outpost colony/world.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2005, 04:40:25 PM »
so its kinda of a mmorts type thing

dang, what else could we do with op2?

also for the starships, the one built with op2 was small, designed to carry only 200 people over a very long time, so small hull, small engine

the ones in this would have to carry entire armys of armored units, and get there within about a month or so, so they will take alot more reshurch, and be a hellofalot more expencive, and take forever to build
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 04:46:58 PM by Betaray »
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2005, 04:46:50 PM »
Well its not realy a RTS, its a web game.

We can do everything with op2, and the outpost world! :D

Anyway back on topic. Work is going well!

Started wiki page:
wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Colony_Wars

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2005, 11:40:18 PM »
Well the game will be much slower than OP2 but still real time. Maybe take a week or two to research etc.
Ahh, that's what I was wondering about.

I at first thought it sounded a lot like Solar Realms Elite (or Barren Realms Elite, or Falcon's Eye, which were essentially the same game from the same maker, but with different text and storyline. Well, ok, a few other changes, but nothing too big). They had a similar building system, where you choose which buildings to build, and it would take so many turns/days to build it. Of course it only let you build one thing at a time, so it made sure the game lasted a while. Also, they gave you 12 turns a day, so you couldn't just play all day and get super powerful. I remember something about Barren Realms Elite allowing you to buy different types of terrain, like dessert, which would be good for solar power. Other terrain types might produce money or food.

Another game that's a little more real time was Trade Wars. It's some space based game where you can build up planets, start corporations with other players, and dominate the universe. You can build your own planets with genesis torpedos, but you needed to build a citadel on the planet to put defenses on it (which took days to build for each level). Defenses on a planet had much better attack/defense odds. The quasar connons you could build on planets were cool. They'd let you blast anyone entering the sector or trying to land on your planet. You could transport colonists from Earth to your planet, and they would produce stuff for you. Anyways, it was a great game. Absolute classic. It was probably the most popular BBS game ever made, and all these web based games seem to be the next evolution of this genre.

Oh, and the turn system in trade wars might be of use. They essentially allowed a certain number of turn per day, usualy depended on the universe size, and how quickly you wanted people to build up, and it was typically set around 300 to 1200 or so. Each action you did could take more than 1 turn though. So say you wanted to scan a nearby system to see what was going on, it would take 1 turn to do. If you wanted to move to an adjacent system in a small fast ship it might take 2 turns. If it was a big bad attack craft, it might take 6 or 12 turns. Originally, they just reset the turns everyday at midnight, but the more recent versions would restock 1/24 of your turns every hour. (The original versions were for BBS, so everyone was in the same city. It kinda made time zones a non issue). So, with the turn restocking every hour, you could either play what little you got every hour, or you could wait a whole day to play again when your turns had restocked to full. You couldn't stock up more turns than you'd get per day though. So if you didn't play for two days, some of the turns would be lost.

Maybe I'm just rambling, but hopefully some of those ideas are useful to you. They were certain some fun games though.  (thumbsup)  

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2005, 01:18:46 AM »
Yea it all sounds fimiliar.

Well colony wars turns are not gonna be like that, with the actions that you get more each turn.

It will be like SK and Dom. You can login whenvea you like and carry out as many actions as you like. But you will be limited because you will only have so many resourses built up since your last login.

So usealy your login, spend your resourses, check stuff like messages etc then logout.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2005, 01:57:34 AM »
well you can have planets and solarsystems have a life time... after that life time is up the sun burns out and the planet is destroyed or something. Meaning that you would have to move to a new planet in a new solarsystem starting over.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2005, 02:52:36 AM »
hmmmm I dont think that would be good.

Offline HaXtOr

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2005, 06:24:16 AM »
it would keep with the outpost theme though

Offline Leviathan

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2005, 07:01:33 AM »
That takes thousands or millions of years Moogle.

Offline HaXtOr

Outpost 2 Colony Wars
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2005, 10:24:49 AM »
well think about it it takes at least 100 years to build a colony to a decent level