Author Topic: Blight Code...?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Harky

Blight Code...?
« on: November 23, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »
The blight on my around the world map just seems to stop growing, it grows slowly in some places but mostly stops at in a strait line  just past the bases..  is this  a  problem in the code for the game like a max infected tile limit or somehting i've set mutiple blight spawn points a different marks and they dont grow either.. it may be becasue the blight slows in darkness if any part of it touches the darkenss it stops growing so quickly.. maybe we could change it  so that it always grows slow, but grows faster in light.. instead of slowing down.. thanks for ne help..

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 04:50:39 PM »
The second parameter to SetVirusUL controls the spread speed. You can play with it to control how fast the blight spreads. The actual rate of growth is also dependent on map size. So the same value for a bigger map will make the blight grow faster on the bigger map. If you're using an around the world map, you should probably set that value pretty low if you want to limit the spread rate.

Blight grows really slow at night, yes. But even if part of a blight "cloud" is under darkness, the part that is under daylight still grows at the normal rate. The day and night aspect only affects the blight locally. There could also be funny aspects of the maps that can cause problems with blight growth. If the map file is formatted incorrectly (or maybe it was done intentionally) then you can get odd behavior with blight growth.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:01:41 PM »
just wondering, would it be possible to make a blight weppon? like a starflare

the weppon would detonate and would infect say 8 tiles radious around it with blight, if that blight comes in contact with a unit, it would expand another 8 tile radious, but would not infect buildings, and if the blight dosnt cunsume a unit within a period of time would die out, and it would be completly stopped by microbe walls

I know a wep like that would be extreamly overpowered, I was just wondering how hard it would be to mod the blight so that it would do that
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:03:37 PM »
Well after looking at a level Harky sent me, I think this thread needs an update.

It would appear the makers of OP2 never expected blight to be used on around the world maps. The blight will only expand on terrain of certain types outside of a certain area. That area seems to corresponds to the "padding" region that regular maps have on either side. This padding area doesn't exist on around the world maps. Instead, the coordinates that would normally correspond to padding area on normal maps allow for regular blight growth (either edge of the map, including where the map wraps around from one side to the other). Blight will expand further on specific tile types however. The orangish dirt and dark lava rocks don't allow for blight expansion, but the grey rock and bulldozed terrain (including bulldozed dirt and dark lava rock) does.

When blight reaches these boundaries, it will stop in a solid line along the terrain type it won't expand to. It can "bleed" around these areas on other terrain type, but outside of the padding region, it will never grow onto those terrain types.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 10:08:56 PM »
Hmm... would this work for a quick fix? have a volcano erupt on the edge. Then you just go from one side to the other.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 10:11:31 PM »
It would be possible to design maps to hide this problem. A volcano erupting (or two actually) could certainly help hide this.

On the other hand, we could look at special level mods to "fix" this issue. I think special coded added to level made for around-the-world maps that use the blight would be the best way to go here.

Offline zigzagjoe

Blight Code...?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 03:04:54 AM »
jeesh hooman, so morbid showing a nursury :P

yeah ,i can see y the op2 designers never planned for having the blight on a world map (obvious storyline conflicts & extremly difficult play). would b cool tho

Offline Sirbomber

Blight Code...?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 07:46:19 AM »
It'll travel on bulldozed dirt/dark gray.
But the only way people will do that is for biological warfare.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 11:36:18 AM »
Yes, that aspect of biological warfare has occured to me.

ZZJ, there was no nursery in that pic, other than maybe one of the tiny dots on the minimap, but thanks for the idea.  :P And what's this about storyline conflicts? I see nothing wrong with blight on an around-the-world map. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Offline Sirbomber

Blight Code...?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 08:40:49 AM »
I think what he meant was, since there aren't any dynamix multiplayer maps with blight, that if they had a world map with blight, it would have been a single-player map, which would cause story conflicts... Good luck following that, I can't.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »
Interesting that that happens on around the world maps.

I'm sure it could be artificially done on the map to make it go "Around the world" like it should.

And yeah, Hooman does like the sight of those dying OP2 kids :P

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 09:36:35 PM »
And yeah, Hooman does like the sight of those dying OP2 kids
Oh my. Maybe this joke is starting to go a little too far.  :unsure:

I'm sure some sort of level patch could be made to make it work. But it'd probably be a little sick. If not the code, then probably the run-time requirements.

Offline Harky

Blight Code...?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 09:50:12 PM »
I fixed this problem..

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 02:32:31 AM »
Good. Post the solution.  :o

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Blight Code...?
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 04:33:38 AM »
this is the map that when i and a couple other senior opu members played, i encountered "dead" tiles on the map. areas where convecs/earthworkers would work on a construction but could never finish. tubes could not be built nor walls or anything else. these dead tiles appeared as boundaries which went in a straight line. post some screen caps of the phenomenon. im curious to see if it occurs in the same places i encountered issues.

nvm. moot.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 04:37:09 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Harky

Blight Code...?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »
Horus.. There were places u couldent build upon in the original release of this map.. i suggest that you and the other senior opu players get the latest updates in the test/spam forum..  and those impassible times were always in your base some where..

As for you hooman.. it seems that the daylight settings in Hooville template do not work properly.. it seems like the day and night actually goes around the world. but in the engine coding the day stays in teh same spot (the only reason i can think of for this happening).. so  i guess.. to you it looks liek the day and night travel around the game like normal.. but to the game there was a strait line of daylight at 0,0 which caused the blight to grow in the light.. but this strait line of daylgiht never moved around the map.. so that the blight only grew where the daylight was.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Blight Code...?
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 06:46:31 PM »
Do you mean basically, you just turned day and night on?

Even if that's the case, it's still pretty odd how the blight expanded on certain cell types but not others. But then, it could have been a rounding error type of deal.

Oh, and that reminds me. I tried the level without day and night "effects". So the map looked like it was daylight everywhere to me. But I've noticed that even when it's "daylight everywhere" there can still be a moving band of daylight that affects blight growth. Which has previously led to me to believe the claim some people make about day and night causing lag to be false. Or at least over exagerated.

Well, thanks for the solution. That will be helpful.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Blight Code...?
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2005, 03:51:58 AM »
[QUOTE}There were places u couldent build upon in the original release of this map..{/QUOTE]

Harky, im not talking about survivor. Im talking about the regular around the world map that comes with op2. ive discussed this with leve before and it is quote strange. the other person we played with encountered it too, but their "dead" area was much smaller. only 1 tile. the dead area near my base in the match went from the northern glacier in a straight line to just past the mountain ranges at the equator.

Offline Harky

Blight Code...?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 12:02:09 AM »
You shouldent post here.. this was for the blight code.. not the original dynamix map problems man.. stay on topic or u'll confuze everyone