Author Topic: Question Research Technology For Inf Turns  (Read 8073 times)

Offline omagaalpha

Question Research Technology For Inf Turns
« on: November 22, 2005, 06:29:05 AM »
Is going be set terchnology outpost game that will be infinite but yet still improve some thing in the games but it has be small inrease for it.  As for what be choose well think leave up you person make game since require right balance of it but make so that one head in research techincal could still leading in research.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »
yea, ive always thought it was weard that once youve reshurched everything the coloney has nothing more, it always reminds me of a black period

somthing that would be very high tech would be an AI that would design reshurch topics, and thus the structures, units, and improvements that go with it, and make sure its balanced, but somthing like that would be extreamly complacated to program, and would take up a huge amount of computeing power

so mabe somthing that would just increase an already improved unit or structure

another idea, would be a reshurch that makes other reshurch faster

any other ideas?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »
well more think have research gain small tweak to allready  invented unit, building,space ship.  
But actual Basic Research Oupost 1 think it actual speead research that done.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 07:56:23 AM »
Something like Civ2's future technology? (Once you research everything, you have an infinite number of Future Technologies to research, and each one gives you extra points). Maybe each one you research could give you an economy bonus or something. Or a series of future technologies like Future Economy (better money), Future Social (better morale), Future Construction (stuff builds faster), Future Whatever...
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 09:04:22 AM »
yea because at least for me when I play always end run out research todo. So if innfinite research that give something to help economy later on. and since availabe rebel too it balance it out

Offline zhukant

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 08:11:47 PM »
What if there was an accident where some archives were destroyed, and you had to re-research something? Would that be to repetitive? Maybe we could come up with more cool buildings and machines. We need a lot more diverse car-type thingies. like portable artillery.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 08:54:17 PM »
I think back a long time ago we played around with the idea of lab accedents, and I put out a seriew of probilitys that would happon, mabe we can find those, because I dont remember the details

artillary could be implamented in op2, but it would have to have a significant drawback, or else people would just sit back and shell eachothers coloney
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 04:46:50 AM »
Zhunkant outpost:mia not war game  neither was outpost 1 lol but lab accindent did happen outpost1 so actual idea already existed that lab top surfaces research involved dangourous research. you lose research currently being done in that lab.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 04:47:39 AM by omagaalpha »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 06:05:02 AM »
omagaalpha op:mia will one day have multiplayer and battle mode.

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 06:36:11 AM »
lol then why heck start project in 1st place, too me have no war what made different between it and outpost 2. Turn base does not make it special.  Other way have good game without war included in them.
If going do war then he should work on outpost 3 for it has war in it
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:40:34 AM by omagaalpha »

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 10:32:43 PM »
OP:MIA's mutliplayer mode will not be anything like OP2's for these reasons:
  • It's turn-based
  • There's no 'real-time' warfare
  • There's no unit warfare
  • It's turn-based
And no, there are no typos above.

THe Multiplayer ability is to allow several players (up to 4 I think) play together to see who does the best when it comes down to surviving on a hostile planet. It allows players to see who has the best strategy. It also allows players to work together to terraform the planet (I don't know if it'll be successfull yet or not but we'll see).

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 03:43:18 AM »
in regard to op2, why not add a levelling system? each level tier would multiply the total amount of research time possible. not really, since there is some research you cant level like rare ore mining or starship.

having 3 level tiers would give players so much to research i doubt anyone would reach the end before everyone got tired of the game.

you know we all want to see level 3 tigers with level 3 thorz :D:D:D

how much work would this take to impliment into op2?

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 06:04:26 AM »
:P glad that know that I was right that there be no unit warfare in it
reason I gather look most stuff post and website no metion warfare in it except place but just seirria had hope do with it before abonaded it

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 12:07:53 PM »
Remember that the real-time element was only added into Outpost 2 so combat vehicles were only in that game. Outpost 1 didn't have any combat vehicles at all.

The research tree for Outpost was considerably more complex than OP2's with much more to do and a lot more to research. It was also far more obsucre (there were no descriptions about what each topic would do... you kinda had to guess what direction you wanted to head in). Believe me... chances are that the user of OP1 would get bored of their current game before they finished everything. Plus, there was Basic Research which was always available and was never finished. It essentially improved life for the colonists, boosted morale and maybe added some efficiency points.

This isn't really the place to ask about OP2 modifications but just for the hell of it... I think it would take some serious work. Of course, hacker/hooman would know a lot more than I because I havn't been doing any work on OP2's main executable and have been working on both this, OPUTool, OPUGN and OP3:Genesis.

DM-Horus, I get the feeling that you might actually like OP1 once you got used to its interface. You might want to go ahead and download a copy of it to see what it's like and to know where OP2 fits into all of this (as well as why OP3 may seem somewhat off).

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 12:18:13 PM »
I thought OP1 was a good and complex game but still prity poor hehe :)

Im not gonna give it another chanch untill OPMIA.

As for combat, it dosnet have to be in real time.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 02:43:49 PM »
No, it doesn't. But I think that I'm going to do some of what Sierra had originally intended: Patch up OP1 in regular intervals to add new functionality.

I may add combat to OP1 in a turn-based manner much like is found in Civ/CivII. However, while not particularly difficult to implement, I don't know if this would add to the game or take away from it.

It I did add it into the game, I plan on using the same chassis/weapon turrets as those found in OP2. The problem here would be integrating Plymouth/Eden units... which player gets what? This can probably be easily figured out by a player checking of wether or not they are going to be the primary or rebel colony.

And, if I did add combat, I think I will take DM-Horus's suggestions of three levels of combat vehicles. Essentially the levels determine their defensive (armor) capabilities, speed and weapons fire rate (OP2's vehicle upgrades). Also, vehicles will not automatically be upgraded. They will need to return to a robot facility of some sort (warehouse, Robot CC or Garage?) to be refitted.

I'm definatly glad that there is still interest in OP1 despite the fact that OP2 was, overall, a better game. OP:MIA's original release will not include combat units but I am considering it and will likely add it in a later revision.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »
OPMIA (can't we just call it OPM?) sounds great. I'm looking forward to it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 05:51:37 PM »
Yes, I agree that units shouldn't be upgraded automatically. I've always found that a little odd. I definately think units should have to return to a garage for upgrades.

Did you know that if you captured an enemy vehicle, it would still get upgraded for you as your enemy researched? Kinda lets you keep tabs on their current tech level.  <_<

Btw, Dm-Horus, it wouldn't be hard to add more techs to OP2 to upgrade units further. No exe editing required. Just make your own tech file. But again, that's just simple stuff like what there are already techs for. Things like HitPoints, Speed, Armour, SightRange are all upgradeable. But they wouldn't show up as special "level3" units. It'd be the same units that just get progressively stronger.

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:24:34 PM »
hehehe I agree with that for car does not upgrade self when better technology for it avaible.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 08:25:11 PM by omagaalpha »

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 10:25:14 PM »
Heres some bonuses that can be given with additional reserch...   Note, that the bonuses would be small, so as to not give a significant advantage, but would be useful nonetheless

Computer Upgrade (Increase reserch speed by 1%)
Engine Refit (Increase unit speed by 1%.   Maybe make it go 1.1 square instead of 1.0?   Slightly faster, and a game can easily keep track of this, whereas a player wouldn't)
Social Sciences (Colonist stats increased by 1%.   Faster birth rate, a minor effect on morale, better working people.   Prolly should have a cap on this of like 20%)
Robotic Arm Upgrade (Production speed incrased by 1%.   Better robotic arms to help colonists build faster)
Enhanced Refining Techniques (Increases ore production by 1% at smelter)
You can easily run with that, there could be a list of reserchable minor upgrades as long as my arm here.   The above are simply examples.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 06:23:48 PM »
Those are really awesome ideas, Baikon. I think I'll just do that in the Basic Research but instead of just hitting Basic Research and it does whatever it wants it could open into various basic research topics such as the ones you presented (e.g., construction, vehicle speeds, etc.)

I will definatly consider that.

As for OP:MIA being OPM... well... I guess we could do that although I think that's mostly personal preference.