Poll

What shape is a sphere turned inside out?

Cylinder
0 (0%)
Cube
0 (0%)
Taurus
1 (9.1%)
Diamond
0 (0%)
Sphere
10 (90.9%)
Ellipsoid
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Visualise This  (Read 4743 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Visualise This
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 03:22:09 AM »
have you tried the virtual tokamak simulator on mit fermilab site? it really gives you an appreciation for the technology. if you havent tried it, look its up. just google for "tokamak simulator"

Offline zhukant

Visualise This
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 08:33:07 PM »
I didn't get that long explanation of how a sphere becomes a torus. It seems to me, that since all sides of a sphere are curved inwards, it would be impossible to turn it inside out without changing the way the sides are curved. If you do that, it will no longer be originally a sphere that you were tried to invert.
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Visualise This
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2005, 02:07:39 AM »
The current problem with tokamaks is that they can't produce enough power to compensate for the ammount of power it takes to start them up and sustain them
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Visualise This
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2005, 03:54:50 AM »
CK9, it depends on how you look at it. The initial energy cost in starting the tokamak is greater than the energy it produces, but once the reactor is powered up it sustains itself. think about it like pushing a car up a hill. when you start pushing the car at the base of a hill and get it to the top, youre very tired. but when you push the car and it coasts down the hill, you always come to a stop farther from the hill than you started. there would be an energy price tag to pay to get the reactor started, but once going (and suitably maintained) the reactor would provide more energy over a longer period of time. The main problem with current tokamaks is that superconductive materials have to be super-cooled and this costs alot in refrigeration or in terms of the energy that goes into refining chemical coolants. Current designs would be very efficient if they were actually built how theyre supposed to be. the only 2 tokamaks in existance use inferior superconductors in place of ones that do not exist as of yet. i do know that much interest has been put into carbon nanotube superconductors, but i dont know how far along this is. i stopped looking up info on tokamaks a couple years ago.

also, the question of if you can turn a sphere inside out is really asking: Can you turn a sphere inside out without flattening any curve into a sharp edge? in otherwords, can you do it without folding the sphere? the question is mathematical and not realistic. if you look at the question realistically, the answer changes. this is why i asked the question.

A persons perspective and manner of thinking determines the answer.

Mathematically, yes, a sphere can be turned inside out. realistically it cannot and is impossible within the constraints of the question.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Visualise This
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 11:54:16 AM »
I think you need to better define what you mean by turning it inside out.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Visualise This
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 02:11:04 PM »
the point was to leave the question somewhat vague :P while there is a right answer, i wasnt looking for one.

Offline Sirbomber

Visualise This
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »
If tokamaks take too much power to run then maybe a couple people on bikes could start them up.

"Lose weight and get paid for it at the same time! Please ignore the skin melting off your body. Other side effects may include nausea, bleeding from every orifice of your body, multiple organ failure, and your brain liquifying and destroying the universe. Even more side effects are similar to the effects of marijuana. Consult God or your favoirte diety before you accept this position."
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials