Author Topic: Community Members And Irc  (Read 3782 times)

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Community Members And Irc
« on: November 04, 2005, 06:02:15 AM »
Okay I dont get the problem some people are having with IRC. I know when you first get it, its a bit intimidating but I just started using it for the first time ever 2 days ago and its no problem. I keep in mind a few general rules when exploring a new proggy:

1) Look for 'Options'
This is usually where you can setup your username, contact info, servers and mess with connections to get the sucker up and running. IRC is pretty solid so all you really need to do in here is set your username unless you know exactly what network/port/firewall settings you want to specify.

2) Keep it simple
No program that has been in use as long or as much as IRC makes it hard to find what you need. IRC has at least 4 ways you can connect: thru options, the connect botton, connection settings in options, command line and probably several others. If you dont want to mess with options, just hit connect! IRC specifies a temporary username that you can change later. It will connect you to IRC and once in, kindly ask "Why hello good OPU IRC user, you seem quite fine on this day. Perchance might I inquire as to how I might change my nickname henceforth?" Chances are someone will immediately tell you what you need to do.

3) Dont mess with what you dont understand!
Clicking on pretty buttons or checking radio buttons at random to see what happens will likely screw up the program beyond reason. Refer to item 2 and keep it simple. Look for something like "Options" "Preferences" "User" these are likely launching pads for setting up an account (not needed in this case) and connecting to a network. The one OPU users have available does all the work for you so all you gotta do is hit connect and youre where everyone else is!

4) Look for the familiar
If youve used any type of Instant Messenger, you can use IRC. Messages appear in the big box in the middle, you type at the narrow box at the bottom, users are listed on the side. Type what you want to say and hit enter to send it. All the advanced stuff will come to you as you use it. Once again, you can always ask people "My good sir or madam I must declare that I require some aid in a regard most urgent. Might you be so kind as to educate me in the myriad commands at work in IRC?" You'll likely get several immediate replies on what something means and how to do what you want. We are an understanding lot, we are.

Dont get scared just because you havent done this before. Download it, hit connect and ASK QUESTIONS! We are here to help the community grow so we arent likely to tell you to sod off. Trust me, its worth it to get started now rather than later. When you download IRC, there is nothing you have to install. Just double click the icon named "IRC" and from there you just click the little lightening bolt in the upper left corner to connect. From there you can ask someone exactly how to change your username. If you dont want to ask someone, look at the toolbar and click "Commands" look for "Change Nick" hit it and type in the username you want and hit ok. Youre done! Youve got IRC, youve got your own username. Now you can chat with us and set up games!

So now there is no reason for you not to go download IRC. Do it now!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 06:07:14 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:56:13 AM »
mIRC / IRC rocks :D

Easy for a newbie to use and advanced users will love it too cuz of all the config.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 10:25:30 AM »
Very good.

Only thing I might suggest, is to not enter a real email address where it asks for "email address". Spammers can use this to spam your email. (It shows up in finger requests, and in whois'es on some networks)

Offline zigzagjoe

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 04:35:08 PM »
on all of the diff servers[efnet-type, qnet/unet type, etc] i have used, it never gives a email addy. ditto with finger. but you dont really have a reason to put anything in it anyways, tho

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 05:12:50 PM »
Hmm nice. Although, with some of the ways you phrased things, I was half expecting to see "South Africa" and "X,000,000 USD" written somewhere in there.

But yes, using a new program like IRC can be intimidating. But there is really nothing to worry about.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 05:23:10 PM »
:D

Go try another client, like not mIRC, or just another script.

Offline Mogymog

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »
Yeah! IRC is cool. All that stuff horus said, true. Yep, most certainly is. It's lots of fun to IRC! =P

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 07:38:11 PM »
I know that for awhile I stopped using IRC simply because of its entirely text-based nature without individual windows (got too used to IM programs after chat rooms went out of style).

Anyway, I'm usually logged into IRC so it's really not hard to use.

Besides, I would very much like to point out that not 6 months ago the IRC channels that we had were very much touch and go with very few users online. Now we have an average of around 16 users AT ALL TIMES so activity rate has indeed gone up. Not to mention, we know have two new channels due to various projects/followings so IRC use has definatly increased a lot.