Author Topic: Trainer Experimenting  (Read 5992 times)

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Trainer Experimenting
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:57:51 PM »
I want to make my own trainer for op2 , how do i go about doing this?
I want to see what cracked out things i can make op2 do

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:16:03 AM »
Either google for a memory editor to do it for you, or take a look at Windows API calls to edit the memory yourself. (I recommend finding a memory editor from google. It'll take a while to build something yourself).

Btw, if you make some sort of "trainer" (Cheat! *cough* *cough*) it might be wise to check if it's a multiplayer game, and refuse to work if it is. We wouldn't want to encourage cheating, and besides, it'd only desync the game and cause frustration.

As for Windows API, there are certain memory functions, such as ReadProcessMemory, and WriteProcessMemory. You'd still need to get a handle to the right process though. And doing that can be a pain. You also need to know the memory locations you are going to edit. (Most prebuilt memory editors have useful search features built in, thus making them much easier to use than the do-it-yourself approach).

Offline HaXtOr

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »
what are some good tools to use?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 10:32:51 PM »
First of all if you make a train under no way or form are you going to distribute it to the public.  It would just cause to much BS.

Offline HaXtOr

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:48:08 PM »
First of all if you make a train under no way or form are you going to distribute it to the public.  It would just cause to much BS.
if anything my trainers will make the game have more fun features.
for example..
Triped out graphics mode...
random system crash mode...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »
random system crash mode...
Umm yeah. I think Freeza put it quite correctly.

Maybe if you actually had an idea of what to do, you might be able to figure out how to do it. As it stands, a "trainer" is a little vague. That and it sounds much too close to "cheat". In other words, you're on your own here.

Offline Leviathan

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 01:27:23 AM »
Partiot has experience with trainers for OP2.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 07:23:49 PM »
if it is designed to do things that the op2 engine arent supposed to do, its not a trainer.

if its designed to give ore, faster units or reduce build time, then its a trainer/cheat.

if youre designing it to be the former, unless you give options to perform USEFUL functions then its basically wasted electrons.

if youre doing the latter, all it will do is encourage cheating, shorten games, piss people off and be the source of much arguing and complaining. noobs will get hold of it and if it has any problems (or you decide not to continue development ie: making it multiplayer capable) will get pissed and bail on opu altogether.

i think this is a really bad idea in general. irc would get filled with script kiddies in no time flat and the quality of the community in general would drop. up until now, opu has been a legitimate project. introducting any cheating would only aim it downward.

Offline zigzagjoe

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 10:04:43 PM »
1. trainers dont work in multiplayer and
2. if someone was to release a trainer specificly for cheating, it would be pulled immediatly and then we would have to take time to evaluate if disiplinary action would have to be taken.

so, if it isnt something proactive like what philip was doing (probing the interiors of the game), theres really no point.

if someone was to cheat in multiplayer mode im prety sure that equates to a instant ban

so, feel free to develope ur trainers but dont plan on releasing them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 10:05:14 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Harky

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 10:26:40 PM »
I think cheating in multiplayer would be a lil difficult.. even when two people have the same trainers going i have experienced desync ect...
 still i dont think we need one.. maybe for fun in sp lol but not in multi.... neways what do yo  mean by tripped out graphics mode..

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 12:29:45 AM »
If anyone does find a way to cheat in multiplayer, I'm sure we can find a way to patch against it.

Also, the nature of how OP2 works means a simple memory editor would likely only serve to desync multi games. But yeah, it promotes bad ideas.  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 03:13:48 AM »
Well this is sounding less like a trainer and more like a tweaker.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 06:00:01 AM »
i see nothing wrong with a dev tweaker or anything else for experimentation but anything that allows cheating i consider a no-no.  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 07:43:35 AM »
Me and OP2Patriot are (well, I'm rusty now) experienced with memory editing OP2, and Patriot can make trainers.

Offline HaXtOr

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 11:10:31 PM »
Well this is sounding less like a trainer and more like a tweaker.
bingo!
why would i want to cheet if im good anyway?

I am hopeing i can play with things in the game, make wierd things happen make gameplay more dificult adding more fun to existing op2 levels.
ex:
 slow down units
land mines randomly placed <- triggers explotions...
change graphics to wierd and different colors
change weaponds to funny things... custard pie cannon... fart bomb...

Offline zigzagjoe

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2005, 01:41:43 AM »
well, feel free to muck around in op2 just b sure to talk to one of us[ opu mod or dev teams ] before you consider releasing it.  

Offline OP2Patriot

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 03:44:07 PM »
Okay folks, it is a common myth that trainers don't work in multiplayer. Any person using the tools I can use can make a trainer that WORKS in multiplayer. Now, with trainers in multiplayer, if you do too much memory poking, it pretty much crashes the game. Also, it is most of the time easy to spot cheats being used, but with the right trainer subtle enough changes can be made so that the change will not be noticed by non-obcessive compulsives. For this reason, I am not going to publically say what you need to make a trainer. The tools I used are still publically available and can be found via the google search, and no real programming knowledge is required to make a trainer.

As for what you can do, Haxt0r,
Maybe you can do tripped out graphics.
You can freeze all of the units/structures for a particular player.
You can reduce the speeds of certain units for certain players.
Randomly placed mines, if at all possible, would require a heck of a good programmer and cannot be done unless it is a hidden cheat already in the game.
Changing the weapons, that is far beyond my skills if at all possible. You can create guard posts with randomly-changing-in-appearance starflare/supernova weapons.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
The network code has been studied and any trainer WILL cause the game to desync or even crash during multiplayer.

Like has been said before, for example, the only way you can gain ore (as seen from the other players) is by actually mining it and trucking it to a smelter. The game actually needs to be receiving command packets informing it of the actions, for example, stating that a cargo truck has docked.
If you then try to create units with your 'hacked' ore the other games are going to start seeing a discrepancy as there are ctMoProduce messages coming in but not enough ore to handle them.

The game does NOT transmit the raw ore/power/colonists values, all it transmits are the events that cause these values to change.

The way the 'original' cheats worked, was the text was sent to all the players as a ctChat (or ctChatText? can't remember which command packet is used for chat messages) command packet. When each player received a chat packet, it would check to see if the text matched that of a cheat (I won't explain how this is done, sorry) and if it did, it would change the player values according to the cheat used.

Since all the clients in the game handled this exactly the same way, no desync would happen.
Desyncs start happening when one client's actions don't match up with another client's.

Offline Sirbomber

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 07:08:21 PM »
For the landmines thing, why not just randomly give units the order to self-destruct? (That is, if you can)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline HaXtOr

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 11:06:23 AM »
For the landmines thing, why not just randomly give units the order to self-destruct? (That is, if you can)
I already did that with the cargo truck disaster map

Offline Sirbomber

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »
I never could get that map to do anything cargo truck disaster-ish... How does it work anyways?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 04:08:52 PM »
Changing the weapons, that is far beyond my skills if at all possible. You can create guard posts with randomly-changing-in-appearance starflare/supernova weapons.
I actually did turn my laser weapons in Eden Mission 4 into Thor's Hammer weapons using TSearch. Had to find the memory locations by trial and error, though.

Offline Leviathan

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »
I liked changing the storage of the SF to give eden a nid fac or wutevea :)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »
I liked changing the storage of the SF to give eden a nid fac or wutevea :)
Yeah, but now since every structure, vehicle, and weapon is set to "both", you just need the "all units" code and you become a god.

Offline OP2Patriot

Trainer Experimenting
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »
No, you become a God with a couple of Rail Gun tigers on rapid fire and long range.

The Forbidden Outpost 2 Forum ... they don't want you to know about it.
Yell if the above link disappears.