Author Topic: Just Registrared Into Your Registro  (Read 2731 times)

Offline dave_erald

Just Registrared Into Your Registro
« on: November 18, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »
<_< Man, i don't know what it is but i get to playin this game again and i just can't put it down. Problem is nobody i know has this game or has the patience to play it so i'm left with the colony games which anyone knows is lacking in the diversity and numbers category. Found out there is a new mapper, but know idea how to make my own colony games. Have the time to learn but no teacher. Need help.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:02:14 PM »
Hm, Well we can help you there! Welcome to OPU!!!!!!!

I hope you enjoy your stay. Please, enjoy a complimentary screenshot ^^
haha.. Just playing with you...

Check out the projects and please come on IRC :D

Stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »
Hello, welcome.

Map making for OP2 is a bit involved. You'll need a little more than just a map editor to make new missions, but all the stuff you need can be found here. A mission basically consists of a .map and a .dll file. The map editor can make your .map files, and the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler can make the .dll file. There is a free version of it available, and a download package somewhere around here to get you setup and making dlls for op2.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 09:20:18 PM »
Oh yes, map making for OP2 is much different from Starcraft/etc. It's more like the God-awful Red Alert map editor, actually more like the even worse RA2 editor (words fail to describe how horrible this thing is, but people who use it and people being burnt, tortured, and having their arms and legs cut off make similar sounds.)
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Tellaris

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:13:08 PM »
To be honest, I never had any problems with the RA editer.   You just couldn't script with the default thing, and only place start positions.

Outpost 2 Map Making requires that you know how to use basic C++.
For making the .map file itself, the editor is pretty poor.
Don't try anything big, it'll take forever.   As it still stands, you have to do the tileing pretty much tiny insignificant square by tiny insignificant square.   Smallest map size is 32x32, some 1024 squares.   Be prepared to spend quite some time on a new .map file

For Colony games, this isn't quite the case.   A simple game can be made in about an hour, basically sand box, which is already available for download off of us.   I made it, its not totally done (probobly never will be, since I'm now lacking the tools to do it.   I still have the original files for it if anyone wants to fix it up.)    Its not available for play in the menus, you have to use the programmer's menu to access it.
Its total sandbox.   All techs are enabled, you start with nothing.   There are disasters.   There is day/night.   There is morale.

Rare ore was added, along with fumaroles.   I do not know if all the rare ore is in a valid location, but the common is in a good location.

For programming a DLL, we have an SDK.   This is basically a compiled set of code that has all imports present, a simple dll.   No triggers are really present, except for an example.   Building layouts are already done for you.   So are mine layouts and vehicle starting locations.   You merely have to change some numbers.

Map editor can do this kind of thing for you, but if you are looking to create AI attack groups and the like, I'm fairly sure you have to code it yourself.

Future versions will be able to:
Create Triggers (Disaster or otherwise)
Random Maps
Easier tile placement (A small section of map is randomly filled in a drag style setup.   It will automatically place transition tiles and other tiles based on what you select.   EX.   Select orange and set a "Brush Size" of about 8 tiles wide, it will fill in tiles you drag over and 8 tiles around it with the land type you chose)
Less bugs
And prolly some other things I don't know about.   Ask OPU|Hacker / op2Hacker (same person) for more details.
Link for sandbox game:
http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.ph...indpost&p=35900
To access, press D in title screen (where it seys new game, colony game, ect.)*
*NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE LATEST VERSION FOR THIS TO WORK!   Its an addition from OPU.

And one last thing.
Welcome to Outpost Universe!   I hope you enjoy your stay here, and feel free to log onto IRC whenever you wish.

I LIKE DETAIL!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 11:13:56 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 08:50:10 AM »
Stormy said it right, welcome to the Outpost Universe :D

Get mIRC & NNS download off site and come one IRC when you are online.

I hope you staty around to enjoy op2 with us, playing the game is only half the fun which can be had here :)

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 12:03:26 PM »
Baikon, gimme that thing. I want to look at it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline zhukant

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 04:49:34 PM »
Hey, welcome to the world of Warcr - uh... Outpost 2! Have a jolly good time playing online with this great crowd. These guys are actually nice chatters, unlike some channels where they communicate via a complicated array of swear words and insults. Enjoy this arsenal of OP2 tools - use them to your advantage to make the game much more enjoyable! Have fun!
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 08:19:51 AM »
What are you talking about? That's my favorite way of communication!
Nah, have fun/see you around I guess.

Offline zhukant

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 07:26:23 PM »
You are so vulgar.  
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 08:27:35 AM »
Don't mind those idiot, dave :)  they are always like this :P

Anyways: welcome to the outpost universe!
As the 'elder' here, (altho Horus claims to be older), i welcome you to the community.

As for making new missions: if you know programming a bit, contact either me, Hooman, Moogle/Haxtor or OP2Hacker - those are the people working with OP2 missions
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 08:38:56 AM »
Well your a elder here Eddy because you have been year like a year now, and not left like so many other people :(

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 07:25:22 PM »
You are so vulgar.
I'm insulted.