Author Topic: Storyline?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline spirit1flyer

Storyline?
« on: November 05, 2005, 10:50:31 PM »
whats the status on that?

I'm going over our final draft now. After it's completed I will pass it around again between the four of us for a quick look-over. After any minor revisions we'll release the story outline.
This was posted Sep 6

I've been sitting here for over a month and there as been no updates.
Is the outline done yet? has someone given up on this part of OP3?
I still have my keyboard ready to type  :P

spirit
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 10:55:30 PM by spirit1flyer »
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Storyline?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 11:39:34 AM »
The Sep. 6th post was before we had agreed to release various bits of information. Since then several issues have come up and I have decided to rewrite the story outline (rather, restructure it and adress several issues). For instance, there is a conflict on the new planet and the original plan of action didn't make much sense. Plus, the explanation for the random explosion disaster didn't work and was part of the original conflict in the story so after several suggestions as to how to make the explosions work a new version was warranted.

Also, there is a colony that is very important to the story that was not mentioned much in the outline which is another thing that needed to be adressed. Essentially the original outline made references to this important colony but essentially it was left out. The new outline includes the colony.

Also, the opening to the story was rather weak but the ending was decent. The new outline balances the start/end much better than the original.

Right now, it's a matter of actually getting myself to sit down and finish writting it. It's not easy and is almost a daunting task (there's a lot to rewrite) but it's definatly in the works!

Offline spirit1flyer

Storyline?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 01:03:40 PM »
okay thanks for letting me know what was going on. I don't mind waiting to much but I was not sure what was going on so I had to ask.

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Storyline?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 01:25:25 PM »
No problem. I understand the frustration of wanting to see something that's been promised and never seeing it happen (looking at the various dead projects).

OP3 is moving along nice and slowly. With school for the younger ones and work for the older ones, there's not much in the way of time for production so it's slow but it's happening.

Offline spirit1flyer

Storyline?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 01:32:16 PM »
No problem. I understand the frustration of wanting to see something that's been promised and never seeing it happen (looking at the various dead projects).

yea, I didn't think it was dead or anything like that. I just wanting to start writing soon  :P

OP3 is moving along nice and slowly. With school for the younger ones and work for the older ones, there's not much in the way of time for production so it's slow but it's happening.
just like my colony packs, except I only have beta testers and me the coder and mapper working on it:P
The real good thing though is that everyone is willing to help me learn the code  :)

spirit

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Storyline?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:58:31 PM »
Yep....

School kinda stinks though..... Most of the time it is good... but many times... the things we learn seem really pointless... I feel like I could pass school with what I already know :heh: but we all know that isn't true unless you are a baby einstein (which I am not :P :lol: )..

Yes we are making progress..... Seems to be VERY tedious and almost like it is stopped for the time being, but we are making progress, Not much, but still...

Stormy
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Storyline?
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
Progress doesn't necissarily mean that a working engine is being produced. I'd say that you in particluar are making leaps and bounds in your ability to create high quality 3D meshes. You are also learning the fundamentals of 3D animation which will also be very helpful to convey several parts of the story not to mention the invaluable tools you're learning to create well-animated in-game meshes.

As far as engine concerns, I've begun creating a framework of the modules required to operate several of the components within the game's engine without needing to rely on global variables or other objects. These classes/objects are more than capable of working without anything other than a pointer to some device context (e.g., sound card, screen surface, etc.), the GUI system object and several other things.

I'm not sure how much sense the above made but basically I'm creating an engine in which I can create a series of objects that can very easily be 'plugged into' the system without needing to rely heavily on the presence of other objects.

Now I think I'm getting redundant so I will close here.