Author Topic: Outpost 2 Survivor  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« on: October 12, 2005, 01:26:51 PM »
Mcshay and I came up with this after playing BoreHole.  ;)
Anyways, there's a huge globe map. Everyone starts with a base and vecs loaded with food/metal/structure kits/etc. Everyone is in the same general area, and everyone has advanced labs in the middle of all their bases (how many of you know what'll happen to them?  :P ) (NOTE: Labs aren't in the main bases, tubes connect them to the base). At mark 100 or so, blight goes off at those 6 labs, and everyone has to run away. Then there are powerful quakes, volcanic erruptions, meteors, storms, and vortexes until only one player is left standing or the blight gets them all.  :lol:

-> Players can't build combat vehicles!!!  :ph34r:
-> Maybe at a late mark, it'll say "New Mission Objective" and it'll say evacuate the planet, giving you the Space Program to research. Then whoever launches the Evac module first wins.
-> Smart players will deconstruct their bases before they move to a new site.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 01:30:22 PM »
Nice idea Bomber!

Details should perhaps be tweaked some, but the initial idea sounds great!

Edit: damn read too fast, sorry bomber!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:34:06 PM by Highlander »
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 01:32:49 PM »
...I'm not stormy...   :heh:  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 02:25:44 PM »
Neat! I have drawn up 3 maps already, and will be learning how to create maps shortly (I have always wanted to learn how). I'll convert the maps from sketches to small paint images soon.

You said the blight comes from your labs? I don't know if you can have multiple blight sources, we should get someone to test that. Also blight spreads too fast to be able to make a new base, you'll be overrun. I was thinking more along the lines of: mark: 0-999 volcanoes erupt, disasters become more frequent; mark: 1000 blight!; mark: 1500 doomsday (read: lots of meteors and stuff); mark: 2000 survivors win.

I love the idea that the blight comes from one spot. Mabe we could make maps with a peaceful computer, and the blight comes from its lab. Also I like the escape idea.

Recreating maps.....

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 02:30:46 PM »
well hacker proved that you can have a black player, so why not just have a black base thats just a cc and adv lab, and the blight comes from that?

oh and if the lab is destroyed, the blight will come out early, acelly, why not make it so that a big earthquake or a metior or somthing hits that adv lab, and that triggers it?
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 03:12:13 PM »
I meant that it comes from that general area.
And yeah, having the extra player would ensure that the blight starts.
So, we can't control blight growth speed? I thought it seemed to go slower on some maps than on others...

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 03:30:26 PM »
Hmmm.... your game speed might have been different, but now that I think about it, your probably right.

Here are my maps:

Key:
Orange shapes: lava flows
Grey: ground
Brown bar(s): common mine
Yellow Bar(s): rare mine
Circle with a V in it: volcano
The word Mark followed by a number: when that lava flow erupts
Cyan shape: Meteors are commen here
Brown shape: Earth Quakes are commen here
Green shape: Tornadoes are commen here
Bright green shape: Electrical Storms start here
Purple/pink blob: Blight starts here
Red triangle: A starting spot
Black lines not outlining anything above: Clifs/walls

Any lava flows have black ground underneath them.
Disasters can still happen anywhere, they just are more commen in their areas mentioned above.
Remember, the lava doesn't start on the map, so starting spots in lava arn't mistakes.

I tried to make it equal.

Reminds me of the first tutorial (somehow).

Is lopsided, the right side should be less squished.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 04:05:49 PM »
Looks good.
I don't know how well blight works on globe maps though, maybe we should try that?  ;)

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 04:11:05 PM »
yeah, i might make a version on around the world with blight, as long as it come from the top or bottom, i don't think it will matter. Another thing to ponder, can you create blight off the edge of the screen?

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 04:32:17 PM »
Why not put it in some random place away from all start locations?
Or does it have to be on the edge...?
And maybe this could be a forced-day/night map (blight doesn't grow at night, right?)? Or a forced day map!  :evil laugh:  

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »
Nice work,

However, last time i used the op2 mapper, the globe mapper didn't work. That may have changed now, but just saying.

That's a lot of work for maps :D. I can't wait to see them finished  :D

Stormy  :op2:  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 04:44:35 PM »
hehe, I made those maps in a study hall.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 04:51:26 PM »
your study hall must be very boreing lol

btw, very nice work, they may need some minor balancing tweeks, but other than that, awesome job
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 05:39:53 PM »
However, last time i used the op2 mapper, the globe mapper didn't work. That may have changed now, but just saying.
Download the newest version. A globe map should automatically happen (as dictated by OP2) if the width is 512 or higher.

I think blight would work the same on a globe map as it would elsewhere.

Yes, you can control the growth speed using the DLL. You can probably create it off the left or right edge of the map (since there is padding there) but I'm not sure how it would work exactly.

Anyway, hope this map goes to completion!  (thumbsup)  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »
Having multiple blight spots shouldn't be a problem. I'm pretty sure it's handled in much the same way as seperate lava flows are handled. And yeah, you can set a blight spread speed in the DLL. I think the map size also affects the spread speed, so you'd have to adjust the numbers for different sized maps to get the same spread speed. (maybe)

Btw, according to the OP2 storyline, most of the disasters that suddenly started happening on this otherwise safe (but sterile) planet were caused by the blight. The earthquakes a lava were apparently from the blight eating through the crust of the planet. The vortexes and storms were caused by the thickening atmosphere. The only one not caused by the blight is the meteors. The planet just happened to pass through a meteor belt at such a convenient time. :( Or at least the kinda the jist of what I remember. I'll probably get corrected on some of it by novella junkies.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 08:01:55 PM »
Yeah, we know, but that's what we call author's... something...  :huh:  

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 08:38:36 PM »
I didn't really get what you wanted in your map SirBomber, but I think I know now. My ideas are centered around a small fast-paced map, while yours are around a large, more calm map. A map that is similar the the storyline. Flee, regroup, flee, regroup, ect. (I think)....

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 02:18:28 AM »
Sounds like he wants a Fight to the death.  "Fight or Blight" good map name lol.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 01:14:40 PM »
They are interesting ideas, both the dll coding might be difficult and the actual mapping will be difficult, but they are quite feasable IMHO.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 02:12:09 PM »
I don't think the coding would be that hard actually...

It's a multiplayer mission so no AI is required. And the disaster coding is a lot simpler than people think. Use time triggers to create the disasters, the space objectives aren't hard either.

The mapping would be the harder part, though I don't imagine it would be a mind blowingly hard thing. It would just take a lot of time.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 02:51:40 PM »
Yeah, coding doesn't look hard at all, I'm teaching myself now.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 03:42:17 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of flee/rebuild/repeat/spaceship.
But a fast-paced one is probably a better idea. It'd be much easier to play.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2005, 03:52:49 PM »
I've been thinking of a huge global flee and build starship map. So far I'm thinking about having a volcano erupt fast at mark 1. Then have the blight come a bit later. If I place the lava in the right spot, then it should block the blight from back-tracking on the map. The play time will have doubled. Also I might put in things to give people a reason to not rush to the end of the map and finish the starship fast. Things like, good base spots on the way across the map near 1-3 wreakage spots where you can pick up finished starship components (or, if possible, make it so you have to stop for wreakage to research the starship). This way you will most likely stop at one of the bases and grab the wreakage, instead of comming back later when the blight will have consumed it.

Things like common in the front and rare in the back may also be good, but I think they will harm more then help.

Offline Sirbomber

Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
Or, they'll starve to death otherwise.  :P
But if they NEEDED the wreckage, it could end up being impossible to win.
Plus, this probably won't involve combat, right?
But maybe getting the wreckage gives you the technology so you don't have to research it!  :)  

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Outpost 2 Survivor
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »
I don't see how it would be impossible to win, you bring a truck somewhere, it is filled with the wreakage. You might be thinking of the missions where everyone went after the same piece of wreakage.