Author Topic: Grammar And Whatnot  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Grammar And Whatnot
« on: October 13, 2005, 11:28:52 PM »
Hey, I have seen quite a few posts with really bad grammar. I couldn't understand them. IF you have the mental capacity to have good grammar, please do it. I don't like sitting there going like  :blink:   :unsure:  :blink:  for 15 minnutes trying to decipher what is being said.

for omggalpha or whatever your name is, I completely understand you having English as your first and only languages. This doesn't apply to you, you are trying very hard :)

This goes for
*spelling
*punctuation
*Capitals aren't all that important, but make you look more professional
Try to clarify your posts after you submit them. This way you still have the old version to go back to, and there isn't a chance that you will lose your post if you hit the wrong button.

We don't want OPU to look kiddie like, we want to be professional looking. This can help attract more people instead of deter them, making them think we are kiddies  :heh:

Just my thoughts

Stormy :op2:  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline spirit1flyer

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 12:09:12 AM »
I have trouble with punctuation. But I have been working on it.

I have been to so many forums were people make fun of poor spelling. And you know what come from it? the people leave because they don't feel welcome.
I used to be a horrid speller but my spelling greatly improved after I started going to forums. Thankfully all the forums I went to early on did not pick on my spelling.

We don't want OPU to look kiddie like, we want to be professional looking. This can help attract more people instead of deter them, making them think we are kiddies 

yes we do but I don't think it is critical to have the forum with no spelling errors. As for the Wiki and other important stuff yes it should all be without spelling errors

Spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 01:24:21 AM »
hmmmm well I dont think the problem is proper sentance structure and dont harp on people to much you dont want to drive them away because your acting like a grammer Nazi.  The problem is people just need to type real word not 1337 s*** script or typing to make it look like there from the projects lol.  Just need normal word adn if you dont know how to spell it wing it lol.  The only puncuation you need it a Capital letter to start a senance and a period at the end.  Dont whine any more about.  If people start to nit pick about spelling and structure some thing will have to be to stop that annoyance.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 03:59:18 AM »
It's not really all that bad, but there are some posts who need some cleaning up.

Staying active and type/talk alot of English helps alot. I learned alot of English when I started out on WON. Simply ask if there's a word you don't get etc.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 07:07:09 AM »
How many times do I need to ask people to stop getting all over each other's grammar?!

How many forums have you seen where everyone's spelling and grammar is top notch and perfect? I haven't seen any.

Yes we can all agree that the spelling on the wiki needs to be cleaned up. And that purposely misspelling things like talking in leetspeak or whatever, is unacceptable.

But on the forums and in IRC it's not a big deal at all. I've only come across one or two posts that were totally indecipherable.

Again, some people have English as a second language so they might not know all the conventions of the language. It's also possible that certain people might be learning-disabled or whatever and thus can't spell some things 100% correctly.

But to make a big deal about someone's spelling, grammar, whatever is ridiculous! We're here to enjoy OP2, not to proofread everyone's posts.

And on a serious note: If I find anyone making fun or ridiculing someone's spelling or grammar (and they're not trying to purposely misspell something, eg. by talking in leetspeak) disciplinary action WILL result to the user that caused the argument.

Offline Leviathan

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 07:38:44 AM »
im only 10 im allowed bad grammer. and if ur 40 ur still allowed bad grammer

:o

-- Edit: Ten years old? lol?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:43:08 AM by op2hacker »

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 03:38:22 PM »
well if you hate spelling abnd grammor errors ten you add should a spell cheker good and a grammar cheaker.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
If I find anyone making fun or ridiculing someone's spelling or grammar (and they're not trying to purposely misspell something, eg. by talking in leetspeak)...
Haxtor you dumbass!  :P

J/k, all in good fun.  :heh:

But yeah, I really don't think spelling and grammar are that much of an issue. We're here to have fun, so let's not get too serious about everything.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 05:39:52 PM »
Hacker doenst have a problem with the grammar he just has a problem with the people harping on other for bad grammar.

Offline HaXtOr

• http://www.wtfmoogle.com
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 05:45:23 PM »
still add a gramar checker and spell checker

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 05:59:20 PM »
I'm not really complaining, just asking some people to not post something if it doesn't have periods and caps. THat's all that is really needed.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline spirit1flyer

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 06:01:37 PM »

I have always found the grammer checker to be junk but the spell checker is not bad

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Leviathan

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 06:26:37 AM »
personaly i think people should read over their posts to check em before u post.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
I'm not really complaining, just asking some people to not post something if it doesn't have periods and caps.

I'm so tempted to post a quote from One Hundred Years of Solitude. There is this one part where a sentence goes for about a page and a half without a period. It was ridiculous.

Hacker doenst have a problem with the grammar he just has a problem with the people harping on other for bad grammar.
Just in case my quote was unclear, I meant to emphasize this part of Hacker's quote:
and they're not trying to purposely misspell something
(I meant to make it bold, but accidentally used italics instead)

personaly i think people should read over their posts to check em before u post.
Well I'm at making quotes from people, you spelt "personally" wrong.  :P
Sorry, I wouldn't normally point out something like that. But with the context and all, I just couldn't resist.  :D

Similarly...  :ph34r:
I have always found the grammer checker to be junk but the spell checker is not bad
You both spelt "grammar" wrong.  :P

See how annoying spelling corrections can be? Think how much worse it would be with constant grammar corrections. Think how fast all the threads on the forum would get off topic with nothing further said than simple spelling and grammar corrections. Besides, you don't want to scare people off of posting because they're worried about making spelling or grammar mistakes.

Offline spirit1flyer

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »
You both spelt "grammar" wrong. 

I spelled it better I only missed a A   :P  

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2005, 12:01:37 PM »
Since when do we care about spelling and grammer?   As long as you send out your message in a way that isn't all cryptic, it's fine.  But you have to be careful not to say the wrong word

*cough*ZZJ*cough*nads*cough*
:P

lol
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline lordly_dragon

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 03:05:35 PM »
as i said before first the english is my second language i can speak it very well but.. still i am speaking the canadian version i am sure some expression are only found in england or in usa even if there is some kind of convention like i got in french (witch is pure speculation from me because i don't know if you have something like us)

one expression that jump off is: you know what i'm saying... this is so frequent...

enyway all in all i think we should just keep an eye on major things...

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 03:43:11 PM »
wtf's wrong with u guys ?
who cares about grammar.. ? i know mine isn't 100% either. If your primary language is English, and you're over 8 years old (i guess this excludes dennis), learn to spell!!

If you're 'foreign' to English, don't let those spelling-nazi's get to ya !  We will fight this war!! :P
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline zanco

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 04:11:12 PM »
Whay arre u ppl beeing so noxcieus ebout teh gramor? jk.

Well, it shouldn't be any kind of "grammar ban" or something of the sort, but I think we should just do our best ( I said just) to make our writting a little bit better.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 05:17:36 PM »
No, we will never ban anyone for bad spelling and grammar. Unless they're doing it just to make us angry and they can definitely spell things correctly.

Offline thablkpanda

Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »
I have serious grammar/spelling pet peeve issues. So people that intentionally mispell words and such, tend to piss me off randomly.

However I guess that's partially my fault for wishing to read whatever it is you're wrtiting in the first place.

Whatever, I'm with (insert thread starter's name here) on this one, If you can prevent it, do. Otherwise, attempt to- I mean some of us here are 17+ years of age (I know most of us range in at about 18~19) so grammar and spelling should be second nature, and if you're planning to be in the workforce anytime soon, and this comes from personal interviews of potential employees myself, The first thing (we) look for in a prospective employee is good ettiquete, spelling, grammar, basic mastery of the english language. Not a obvious 10th grade education. So try to practice stuff like this for those of you that are currently 'in-between jobs' and such, if you're looking to be hired, this could be the first thing going for you.

I completely jumped off topic there. But 'tis the truth.

Christopher Merchant
Merchant Enterprises

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Grammar And Whatnot
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 05:10:28 PM »
This is the NET you dont need to have proper spelling or bust.  Just type like normal if you have a mistake either let it go or change it.  There is no need for other people to tell some one else to change some thing or to jump on them because it is spelled wrong.  Unless we know these people and they are misspelling on purpose then you can jump on them.  Dont matter if any of you have a major problem with it get some control over it.  Age doesnt matter this isnt Highschool and there is no need for perfect spelling.  Now if you people cant accept that then go do some thing else, because this is just how it is.  OMG panda I dont want to hear that join the work force crap again there is no need for perfect grammar for most of the jobs that people are going to apply for.  The Resume is only going to be read by very anal people who are going scrutinize every little word for mistakes and often dont care about what that person wrote.  

I am trying not to sound like i am picking on you very corrective people but its just annoying to be corrected and see others being corrected.

This topic is closed for reason that we dont want to keep repeating ourselfs over and over
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 05:24:57 PM by Freeza-CII »