Author Topic: Missing Site Links  (Read 2641 times)

Offline _el

Missing Site Links
« on: May 06, 2005, 10:29:39 AM »
hi
i've been looking at the download section, and noticed that the following files (and links) is missed:
/opmaper.php /dlupdates.php /dlmaps.php /dlmods.php
maybe there's again that bug with the base directory undefined? i saw it in IE6 and FireFox1.0.1

Offline Leviathan

Missing Site Links
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 11:16:51 AM »
Thx for telling me, the files are indeed missing.

Im the lazyist web master around :blink:

sorry.

Offline Eddy-B

• http://www.eddy-b.com
Missing Site Links
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 12:10:47 PM »
/me hates complaining n00bs
Rule #1:  Eddy is always right
Rule #2: If you think he's wrong, see rule #1
--------------------

Outpost : Renegades - Eddy-B.com - Electronics Pit[/siz

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Missing Site Links
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 06:20:36 PM »
Uhh Eddy?

And there are a few missing/broken links on there. The project's link at the top doesn't work. The link Hacker left in the coding forum as to where to find the latest version of the SDK doesn't work. I think there may have been something else, but I can't seem to remember/find it. Ahh well, maybe I'm just imagining things.

Offline Eddy-B

Missing Site Links
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 12:43:03 PM »
Sorry.. we've all "complained" about missing/incorrect links and other stuff on the website, i just always assumed it was becoz levi didn't have the time to get it all done (yet).

But yea- it needs to be fixed one day.. at best TOday.. :P
.. to get back at my previous post: just had a bad day, and was irritated that someone registered, and there 1st post is a complain about this ain't working, that ain't working..  sorry _el :D
--------------------

Offline Leviathan

Missing Site Links
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 07:02:27 PM »
Maybe he just reged so he could post that ? :P

Offline _el

Missing Site Links
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 03:27:34 AM »
"she" ;) actually, yes :P the missing "maps" section - it was that one rarest thing in the world, which is kicked away my natural lazyness %)

Offline Eddy-B

Missing Site Links
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »
hehe .. lazyness eh? :lol:
..and welcome to our comunity ... another girl! :) they're rare too!
--------------------

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Missing Site Links
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 06:31:11 PM »
Actually, I've been meaning to do some 'complaining' of my own. So here's the low-down (I tend to be blunt... nothing personal meant by it!!!) :-)

There are many broken links all over the place. It's quite annoying when you want to view something and the link doesn't work.

The header section for the root web pages (e.g., http://www.outpostuniverse.net) is too big. Users in a resolution of 1024x768 will be very annoyed (myself included) when every time they click on a link they have to scroll down to see what they've clicked on. Not a pleasant experience (I'm a graphic artist by nature so if you need help with designing smaller yet readable and good-looking images to use for the header, I'm more than willing to help. As Proffessor Dumbledor once said, "Help comes only to those who ask for it.")

Spelling/gramar/readability are huge aspects of attracting and keeping new and existing users. Quite frankly, the way many things are written, it's hard to understand what is being said. Not to mention, it's a big turn-off when you read something like "so wut u bin sa'in" when what trying to be portrayed is "So, what have you been saying?" (granted, it really doesn't need proper punctuation and whatnot, but it does help.)

Part of a great website and community is a website that can be easily read, accessed and joined as well as cleanly laid out content that is written in a way that anyone can understand.

With all of this said, I am not trying to bash anything, rather, point out little flaws that make OPU seem like a bunch of amatuers. Of course, we are a bunch of amatuers, but as I said earlier, attracting and keeping users is a big part of creating a community. Where is OPU without an active community?

I am available very often. If not on IRC, via e-mail or any number of IM programs out there. I would really like to help create a website that's integrated with the rest of the site (e.g., the rest of the website looking like the forum website). Yeah, I'm working on OPUTool and OP:MIA as well as 10,000 other projects, but web/graphic design is something I've been working with since I was 11. I might as well do it in my sleep.

Maybe I just have fantastical ideas that will never hope to come true, but I see OPU as a very large online community not devoted simply to OP2 but OP1 and the other OP games being created. I see OPU becoming the host of the new OP2 WON server (via whatever software we use/create).

I just  had another thought... is this even the forum to be saying all of this?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 05:46:35 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Leviathan

Missing Site Links
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 04:02:20 AM »
We also have big dreams for the community.

Ill finish what ive been doin on the site and upload a bunch of pages..

Offline plymoth45

Missing Site Links
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 01:54:50 PM »
Time to get a site rebuild lol, with all the links and all, speaking of that... *Looks at his site and notices only the Home link works* heh, i need to work on mine too lol, and i linked off?

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Missing Site Links
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 05:38:56 PM »
hi
i've been looking at the download section, and noticed that the following files (and links) is missed:
/opmaper.php /dlupdates.php /dlmaps.php /dlmods.php
maybe there's again that bug with the base directory undefined? i saw it in IE6 and FireFox1.0.1
These pages are still down. I want to see if there is anything i want to download badly.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 05:41:27 PM by Mcshay »

Offline zigzagjoe

Missing Site Links
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 06:26:55 PM »
yeah yeah, we know. light a fire under levi, or try tossing him into the sun. hes responsible for all that.

Offline spirit1flyer

Missing Site Links
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 06:53:59 PM »
Lev was saying on another post that he would not be able to play OP2 as much  :blink:   He must really be busy

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Leviathan

Missing Site Links
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 07:03:44 AM »
Mcshay you can get the op2 mapper and other files from the wiki.

And come on irc and someone should be able to help you with anything else.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Missing Site Links
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 01:52:40 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll come on the irc when I have time. Is there another way to download all the custom maps?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 02:18:18 PM by Mcshay »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Missing Site Links
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 02:34:28 PM »
Well, if you get the op2dl_complete.exe OP2 package you'll have most of the maps. The only others are ones that aren't in the official package yet, you can find a lot of the links on http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/.

Offline thablkpanda

Missing Site Links
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 07:13:15 PM »
I agree to most everything.

I noticed (when using my OTHER computer, the one with the miniscule 12" monitor) that indeed a small resolution distorts the header, in odd ways. Personally, that doesn't bother me, since I run a huge-arse resoulution most of the time, and when I'm not, it's worth the trouble.

I always assumed that Lev would 'get around' to those pages- that was probably 4-6 months ago. :D. I'd get rid of the links, or throw up wiki pages in 'relation' to them. Mods would = Campaign projects, etc. etc.

Christopher M.
Merchant Enterprises