Author Topic: Units  (Read 25008 times)

Offline Leviathan

Units
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 10:52:05 AM »
Yea why would they develop it?  All i can think off is to get to locations where they need to get to but lava is blocking them. Could be good for attacking but air transport is more likely and cheaper way to attack i would of though.

Also check Suggestions.html

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Units
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 01:11:39 PM »
Yea why would they develop it? All i can think off is to get to locations where they need to get to but lava is blocking them. Could be good for attacking but air transport is more likely and cheaper way to attack i would of though.

That's the ticket, Levi! While we have absolutely no intention of adding Aerial combat to Outpost, there are plans for at least one air vehicle to help with the rather hostile terrain. For instance, there may be some sort of item or resource that needs to be collected but the only way to get to is to use an airborn unit to pick it up and bring it back.

Of course, this is all a matter of speculation right now so we'll all have to consider all possibilities.

Although, if there is a need for a vehicle that can traverse over Lava, TH300's suggestion about degrading HP is a great idea. Also, if a vehicle is moving over a lava flow, it's movement will very likely be very slow. Lava isn't exactly known for it's traction.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 01:21:22 PM »
Now I have a problem with that you people keep saying it has to be op2ish.  Clearly a AIR vec is not OP2ish.  Why would you need a Vec to drive into lava for no reason but to get to the other side.  Perhaps you need some kind of bridge that the Earthwork can build that can go over such inpassable objects.  REALLY thick steel alloys and Carbon Carbon panels would be the only thing to save a Vec that would go through the lava.  If there is going to be Air units then just have a S.A.M.  Lynx/Panther/Tiger/GP  strickly a unit that attacks air.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Units
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 01:33:17 PM »
Make an improved BullDozer.

Then that improved bulldozer could remove lava, just as a earthworker removes tubes. 3 square's of tubes and the earty is gone, same could be done to the bulldozer.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »
http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=1036

my seed coloney idea is in that, so you dont need to search for it
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 03:57:06 PM »
Well I dont know but I think removing lava like tube would be imposible because lava flows and moves tubes just take it and die.  Why try to go through some thing when you can go over around or under it.

Oh yes I think all combat units ,with the exception of the Aracnid units, Should continue on with the Cat names.  

Offline Mez

Units
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2005, 04:00:02 PM »
Perhaps after say 200 mark the lava should cool and then the special bulldozer would be able to clear a path through it?

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Units
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2005, 04:38:13 PM »

Although, if there is a need for a vehicle that can traverse over Lava, TH300's suggestion about degrading HP is a great idea. Also, if a vehicle is moving over a lava flow, it's movement will very likely be very slow. Lava isn't exactly known for it's traction.
What about some form of a areo boat type thing (I forgot the name... they have like the hole in the middle below the deck, and pontoon thingies on the sides connected by a piece below the hole. It's some really fancy boat that goes like 80MPH+... ( I think).

(different but related idea below)

Anyway, a variation of this could be applied to lava. It is like that boat they use in Antarctica to break ice. It would do the same to crush the rock, But it would melt the rock using some form of a weapon on the front edges, turining it into a 'slushy' like material. The boat would just use some form of a weapon, explosions, or a jet to propel itself from behind.

Oh, and this could also be used for normal ground:
1. It could be a new weapon, causing dirt to melt and move in the opposite direction it's being fired at, so

Shoots here       hits sand
     X  ------------***->->
           beam goes    then sends dirt in the same direction after melting it.
2. A new version of a robo-dozer

It would melt it after X number of marks or whatever, then would cause a 'mini' lava flow to go and surround what it is attacking. If it is a Structure, it will just make the structure stronger because by the time it reaches it it woudl harden around it and hold it into the ground. If it's a vehicle, it would be like permanent stickyfoam. You could use another one to free the vehicle, and have little 'burrowers' that dig things up if they are buried.

I like the idea of an improved robo-dozer, But It doesn't really need to be able to dig through lava -_-. Just let it clear land, and it would create a big pile of dirt.

Dirt piles created by dozers could have ore or other materials in them, so they could be mined, or turned into walls to build a 'fortress'. With enough of it, you could 'technically' make a mini mountain :D.

Tornados would pick loose dirt up and would sling it everywhere, damaging everything slightly within a ___ <units> radius.

Note: the dirt isn't sandy, it's like mud, but harder.

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Mez

Units
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 04:56:34 PM »
basically large pieces of rocks - think size of vech, and ordanace weapon damage.

the weapon could break the lave up into large rocks - vortex then slings large rock at pther vechs or even buildings

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 06:09:45 PM »
Well if the lava is cool then you could just drive over it and you wouldnt have to worry bridges and super Lava boats lol.  You could just pave it or doze it to make vec run a little faster.  And yes i think there should be pavement built by the earth worker

Melting sand would only make glass and that would give you very little traction.  

I dont really like that idea of melting dirt to better armore a buidling.

A new Dozer that clears land there is already some thing like that and as for making berms or dirt walls i think that is more of a Earth worker type thing.

As for mining with a Dozer that would be strip mining ad it would take up alot of space for the pitand the mineral or ore your mining would have to be very close to the surface.

The Vortex already have a radius of damage and it doesnt need to be that big because a tornado is a sniper rifle not a sledge hammer like a hurricane.  But how ever if debre and stuff could be sucked up that would be nice then dropped where the vortex stops in the form of gorf material.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 06:49:20 PM by zigzagjoe »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2005, 09:04:43 PM »
Just making the point that impact weapons such as RPG, Rail, ESG and so on, could perhaps not kill it, while Thor, Laser and Micro's will because they potentially can reach damaging heat level.

A RPG is a impact weapon but you also have to realize that it is also a shape charge that blast its way through armore.  Its a very simple tech.

A Rail gun may be a Solid projectile weapon but a Rail Gun (Aka Mass driver and Guass Rifle) Fire a massive solid slug using magnetic rail that are capable of great speeds.

A ESG is not a impact weapon.  It is nothing more then a land mine and a land mine is very good at taking out treads and tires of vecs thus making the vec useless.  

The Sticky is a defensive weapon that seems to have a bit of acidity to it

The Acid Cloud is a weapon that is very good at what it does.  Just melts the armore off vecs till it can reach some electronics or engine part.

Offline Stormy

Units
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2005, 10:57:21 PM »
You could just pave it or doze it to make vec run a little faster.  And yes i think there should be pavement built by the earth worker

A new Dozer that clears land there is already some thing like that and as for making berms or dirt walls i think that is more of a Earth worker type thing.

As for mining with a Dozer that would be strip mining ad it would take up alot of space for the pitand the mineral or ore your mining would have to be very close to the surface.

The Vortex already have a radius of damage and it doesnt need to be that big because a tornado is a sniper rifle not a sledge hammer like a hurricane.  But how ever if debre and stuff could be sucked up that would be nice then dropped where the vortex stops in the form of gorf material.
Ok, After lava cools you can drive over it, how does that sound? It is also slower than normal ground.

The dozers would level the dirt pushing the 'bumps' with it . It stops at the edge of its area leaving a PILE of dirt from those bumps. This pile could be used by a new type of earthworker that gathers the soil and makes dirt walls out of them.

The vortex idea is going to be done for sure. In 3D :D.
We would have little parts of stuff flying around and SMACKING into buildings and other stuff.

Now, if we have colonists walking around, think of what could happen... >.< there goes 5 colonists.  :heh:

back to the dozer:

The dirt IS piled up. How else would you expect to level land without having a pile at the edges? This dirt could be picked up by trucks and dumped somewhere; Like I said above, you could make a mini-mountain eventually! lol

I like the pavement idea, how should it look??? Like asphalt?

so, main ideas are:
*vortex debris
*cooling lava
*Piles at edge of dozed area
*idea about colonists walking around and if they run into a tornado
*Moving piles with trucks
*pavement with Earthworkers
*Dirt 'formations' (where you move the dirt to create obstacles and whatnot.
Note: a cargo truck can only dump stuff while it is moving. Otherwise it would go under it and cause the truck to be stuck, as the dirt is pushing up on the underside of the truck keeping the wheels from touching the ground. If you do move, it will just make more dirt pile up, making it worse.
So,
*a command that dumps cargo one space away from the place you click as the destination point

Use the * format for ideas now :D
keeps it organized

Stormy :op2:

PS: if you know how to do bullets, do that instead of *. If you know how, let me know also please.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
YES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FLYING COLONIST HITTING A AGIDOME :D

SPLAT!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Units
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2005, 10:16:55 AM »
freeza, you're sick in a twisted way :P

just don't make it too graphic, or else the same will be said of you :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2005, 10:31:48 AM »
lol

btw Stormy:

You can do lists in this way: (Remove spaces inside the [ ] tags)
[ list ]
[ * ]Item 1
[ * ]Item 2
[ * ]etc..
[ /list ]

Offline Leviathan

Units
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2005, 10:54:06 AM »
lolz :D

i love the idea of lava cooling.

you could dig a trench and lava could flow down it, eg send lava to someones base and bye bye base.

pavement/road sounds good, would be bit better than dozed land.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2005, 11:34:51 AM »
Lava Guard Posts they can run off of Magma well.  Perhaps some kind of tube or trench could be use to fuel them from the well.  Now the GP would damage itself when it fires the lava because it would use a bucket from a smelter to scoop the lava then blast the lava out the barrel with the same tech that launches the sticky foam.  the GP is only damaged when the bucket is emptied into the weapon for firing.  or when some one shoots it lol.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Units
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2005, 01:12:34 PM »
Stormy, Lava is disgustingly dense so the idea of a hover-craft type deal over lava really doesn't work out too well.

As far as paved roads are concerned, that's definatly a good idea (and one that had crossed my mind several times). They were available in OP1 so why shouldn't they be available for OP3? Also, they wouldn't really be asphalt (not NEARLY sturdy enough for really hostile environments) but would instead be built of 'road materials'. What the explanation of that is can be decided upon later but essentially you'd build road materials at a factory of some sort which would then be used to build and mantain the roads.

Lava cooling would definatly work. Driving over it would be easy enough (no need even to bulldoze it to smooth it out) because it's already relatively smooth.

I just want to remind everyone that this game is 3D and 3D physics will apply (e.g., being able to drive over hills).

Also, actual moving lava flows are probably going to be too dangerous to try and cross so it might be better to just wait for it to cool. I guess maybe it would be possible to drive certain units over shallow flows but it would cause considerable damage.

And I never put it together, Freeza, but I do like the whole Cat names. It really just occured to me now!  :heh:  

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Units
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2005, 02:03:30 PM »
I like the idea of lava-flows cooling down and becoming passable. (How it is in op2 is not realistic at all. I don't see why lava would only flow over dark gray terrain)
  • As an addition we could probably make it so that new mining beacons appear on former lava-flows.
I don't like the idea of Colonists walking around on the planets surface. That should be avoided whenever possible.

Lava-guardposts are a nice idea but quite useless unless you put magma wells on every second tile on the map.

Piles at edges of dozed areas are not necessary. there are several ways to make an area even. I don't have the words for these techniques so you have to think for yourself.

Terrain modification should be limited so that cliffs can't just be removed. obstacles are on maps for a reason: to make the game more interesting, to not allow the player to move directly to certain important points. You shouldn't just be able to remove them.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2005, 02:36:22 PM »
howbout allow the earthworker or robodozer to have jets of liquid nitrogen or somthing that would speed up the cooling process?

also dont forget about the robo/seed colony (I just think it would be awesome gameplay wise)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2005, 06:10:40 PM »
you would need a lot of liquid nitrogen because the lava keeps its self warm

And Lava that cools is not smooth is full of air pockets and brittle a vec would kinda cruch its way through.

The Lava GP wouldnt need that many wells one well could give ammo for 3 GPs

which is transported via earth trench that would have a semi tube cover so vecs dont fall in it lol.  

As for cliffs I think that a one vec wide tunnel could be made but this tunnel can only go in straight line no 90 degree angles.  This could also introduce a new vec a TBM (Tunnel Boring Maching)  Big expensive and slow lol.   Alls the TBM would need is workers and power lots of power.  And if that doesnt pan out.  I will also make the suggestions of bridges.  sounds like a earthworker type thing but it would take more then one to build it.

And Betaray stop posting about robo/seed colony in here if people come to look at it they will dont try to force it or people will become annoyed.

Offline Stormy

Units
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »
When you post, please sum up all the ideas at the end in like a list format. This will make it SO much easier to extract them when we are implementing them (If we implement them).

Anyway, Why do you not like the idea of colonists walking around TH300?

I don't particulary like the idea of bridges, kinda pointless unless there is completely impassible terrain, which there shouldn't be.

I kinda like the idea of the lava post, could make games interesting.

This is pretty off-topic, but it would make another interesting aspect of the game.

We would have one person in charge of the colony; op2 style, Thing is, they don't control the attacking vechs. The allies would control them from their computer. Maybe controling 16 of them in a 'pack' or something like that. You could switch from Sky view, Close up, and Third Person.

Sky view is the sky view
Close up is a really close shot of a vehicle. You can rotate around the vehicle at all times.
Third Person is directly behind all the units, maybe about 30 feet off the ground.

Kinda a wacky idea, but it might be a good mod ;D  :heh:

Stormy

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2005, 06:30:42 PM »
I would want to control mass amount of vecs not just 10.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
Units
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2005, 06:47:08 PM »
And Lava that cools is not smooth is full of air pockets and brittle a vec would kinda cruch its way through.

That depends entirely in the type of lava and in what conditions it cooled down.

Usually the hard, brittle rocky lava that you mentioned forms near or in water (Hawaii's coasts, for example) or if it's a low-tempurature lava that is being blasted out of a volcano at high-speed. But if you move inland toward Mount Kiluwea (I think that's how it's spelled), all of the lava flows are smooth in there appearance.

Take a look at the following:

This flow is actually underwater. It hasn't quite cooled yet.

This one, on the other hand, cooled normally on land. It is still brittle but is very much smooth.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 06:47:32 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Units
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2005, 06:56:32 PM »
That second picture i have seen people walk on that and it breaks under there feet and there is even a possiblity of lava being under that.  i have never ever seen any one (sane person that is) drive on it.