Author Topic: Ruby  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Leviathan

Ruby
« on: September 22, 2005, 06:24:13 AM »
ah the internet!, well web browsing.. i was on some site and it had a lighttpd link/small banner thing so i checked it out and it looks like a good web server which im gonna check out.

wen i was on that site on the right hand side it said it was runing eAccelerator which is another cool thing to check out, not that ill probly use it my self. also it said it was runing ruby and rubyonrails which i aint herd off, so like the others, when i c somthing i aint herd of i check it out.

and ruby is a programing lang, take a look at www.ruby-lang.org.

there r lots of sites and info about it, im taking a look thru this guide to c what its like. it looks like a simple lang with less lines of code than others to programs, and dosent look too hard to learn.

any one herd of it or used it before?

Offline zigzagjoe

Ruby
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 07:20:07 AM »
bah....use apache. its still the king. long live the king!

afaik, php is not compiled at all. so wtf they are talking about caching them, idk. ruby, i have never heard of.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Ruby
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 02:11:55 PM »
I've heard of Ruby and its an option for many unix / linux distros.

I've never used it; I think it is interpreted though.
From reading the website it reminds me of java. (Everything in the language is a class -- yuck!)

PHP can be precompiled; read on..
eAccelerator looks a lot like the Zend Optimiser and IonCube that are already out there and are king of the PHP precompiler movement.
It works much like java class files... Need I say more? It loads up faster and prevents people from seeing your code.

And yeah, Apache is the best webserver out there, I have yet to see anything else that takes first place.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 02:13:05 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Leviathan

Ruby
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:33:38 PM »
well it is the most popular so i would expect it is the best, and it is open source.

Offline zigzagjoe

Ruby
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:00:53 AM »
ah, i c. kinda like the ti-basic; it is tokenized before running. and ruby, yeah, it seemed like java 2 me as well. it is a interperted lang.

Offline spirit1flyer

Ruby
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 05:37:59 PM »
hmm

Ruby and pearl two coding programs I need to check out  :whistle:

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline zigzagjoe

Ruby
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 05:39:43 PM »
i wouldn't bother with ruby at all, and perl i would only learn if u are going to use a unix sys, and even then....ild check out php first.

Offline spirit1flyer

Ruby
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 05:46:24 PM »
okay thanks for that tip  :)  

I was only going to look into them because I had been told they would work with windows Xp, could do everything that basic could do and it was easy to use.

I know some php. I have been doing some work on my forum. and Xfir has been helping me

spirit
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Ruby
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 11:22:15 PM »
Notice: I downloaded some eAccelerator thingie... gamve me so much spyware I couldn't handle it. My browser was hyjacked to a page on my computer itself. Every time I deleted the source... it came back during restart. It took me WEEKS to finally get that crap off my computer. I'd stay away from it (at least from my experience) ugh...

Stormy :op2:

That was a horrible experience  :heh:  :'(  
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline zigzagjoe

Ruby
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 08:19:45 AM »
The dl accelerator i recommend most is Nettransport 2. its shareware, but it has none of the tendrils that come with other dl accelerators. the sw. supports resume/pause , and up to 10 dl threads.