Author Topic: World Domination  (Read 8864 times)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
World Domination
« on: September 07, 2005, 09:09:23 PM »
I know you like to get WD up and working again levi But i think most people wont play it because it dictates what maps people have to play maybe for each sector you have a range of maps to use.  Now if i knew how to do this s*** I would offer to help but the coding world is above me.

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:31:45 AM »
What do people think of this idea?

Each sector you can pick a few maps?

What maps you wanna play?

Who would try and play WD regulary?

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
World Domination
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:01:31 AM »
Yeah, players should have options of more maps.

More than 2 factions could perhaps be added aswell ? (Thinking in the lines of a clan based WD here maybe)
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 06:09:36 AM »
Ya im sure that could be done Highlander, and I like the idea.

Offline gamerscd0

World Domination
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 07:45:53 AM »
i cant whait for that :op2:  

Offline lordly_dragon

World Domination
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 06:25:59 PM »
im in too

btw can you just put at dragon_hunter (player list) active player and can use direct ip

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 05:33:02 PM »
So what do we need to change and do so people will actualy play wd?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
World Domination
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 06:23:16 PM »
I think one of the things you might need is to progress through territory quicker so people can reasonably get to the end of WD.

Also, if people are into rush games, they might not want to stop between games to have them recorded or whatnot. Maybe put more focus on colony building type games? WD has always sounded kinda rush rush to me.

What about a link in with the IRC bot for recording games and outcomes? I think maybe a lot of people just forget about WD. Plus, having to go to the website to setup that part is a pain. Especially since all the game playing organization is done on IRC.

But what do I know. I don't really find time to play much.

Offline Sirbomber

World Domination
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 08:38:51 PM »
Six sectors... I guess it is a small world.

Yeah, there should be more choices and sectors. Only one win needed, by there are a LOT.
Different factions, and you can make your own.
Neutral territories where you could set up new factions.
Alliances/rivalries between factions.
A meter to measure a faction's power and how "honorable" they are. Power meter starts at 1/x, where x is the total number of territories. Honor meter starts at 100 at goes down based on when factions betray allies or if a superpower attacks a minor power. (in other words, if a faction with 50 territories attacks a faction with 1 territory, the guys with 50 places would lose reputation.)
I doubt this is possible, but a special world domination palette so the factions can set up their own colors. (Three different shades of one color, one shade per player. SO, if somebody had orange, p1 would be orange, p2 would be bright orange, and p3 would be dark orange.) But yeah, I doubt that'd work.
Maybe even special WD-only maps with fixed player settings where the attackers start with more supplies and vecs but the defenders have more defences and larger bases.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 02:24:03 AM »
Sirbomber i dont think making it more complicated will make people play it. And its allways gonna stay and just two teams. We might do a clan/team based one later.

And making WD maps is something i did want to do but it would be unfair most likely because the two players wouldnt be starting at the same tech point etc.

But attacking/defending missions do need to be made!

Also i think we should have multi maps aviable for each sector, so please list the maps you want to play.

And for IRC i think a start would be the bot reminding you.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
World Domination
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »
How exactly do you plan on displaying those reminders? I hope it's not gonna be done in an annoying way. Like say broadcasting to the channel every so often. Maybe just have a passive reminder like when people setup a game, it'll list it as either WD or non WD, so people will remember they can make it a WD game. I imagine the majority of games will still be non WD though, so it probably shouldn't be the default option.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
World Domination
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 12:12:41 AM »
I'd play WD :D

I've always wanted to play that... and ever since I first saw OPU, I saw WD and drooled....lol

Enough about that...
Let's get it going!

:D

stormy :op2:
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline lordly_dragon

World Domination
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 06:51:10 PM »
i was like stormy too thats why i came here the first time !!

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline zhukant

World Domination
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 07:57:54 PM »
It would be cool to have the OP1 effect where you get to select a certain area to deploy your colony. That would be pretty awesome :P
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
World Domination
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 11:02:16 PM »
That could probably be done by creating a series of ConVecs in the beginning with packaged Structure Kits and trucks with Food and some start-off Ore.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
World Domination
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 03:00:47 AM »
i see nothing wrong with limiting maps. if anyones played darkspace you know that if a system (map) gets captured by the enemy the only thing you can do is fight better to earn a new system (map).

... is it too much to hope ppl would see it this way? lol

Id like to see wd back up again. maybe in time for reunion? have a wd fest on reunion day.

(btw: SEND IN THOSE PICS! if you need hosting, go to http://www.photobucket.com and post your pic and PM me the link!)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
World Domination
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 03:25:37 AM »
It would be nice to see WD active again. Not that I play it but it's definatly enjoyable to see things moving around.

Plus, the plans I had for OPUTool 1.3.2 included a spiffy interface for users to view the current status of WD sectors, registered players and their stats, etc. but it seemed inactive so I left it out. I do want to get it into the next version of OPUTool... but I think it would first need to be active before it becomes usefull in OPUTool without making it unnecessarily large.

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 06:32:00 AM »
Hooman when you use the !add you would be reminded about WD and also when the game is ready to start you would be reminded.

Nothing spaming and anoying.

Offline Sirbomber

World Domination
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005, 08:43:43 PM »
I was thinking of doing WD a few weeks ago, but I forgot my WD password... And there wasn't any cannon fodder around.  ;)  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline g2fieldy

World Domination
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »
I will help as much as possible to bring back WD.   (thumbsup)  

Offline Chandler

World Domination
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 09:30:17 PM »
I want to play WD too!
Chandler

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 03:23:30 AM »
hacker needs to reinstall it on the site first before it can be played.

also i think you should be able to play more than just one map per sector. each sector should have a selection of maps that you can chose from.

if people want more info on WD, here:
rules

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
World Domination
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
How about my old idea of more than 1 faction ?

i.e 1 guy like me could hold his own faction. Other, less experienced players could play together in groups of 2 or 3 players ?

There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Brazilian Fan

World Domination
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
What happened to the World Domination project?

Offline Leviathan

World Domination
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 07:00:18 AM »
Its currently not runing. The web based version we used to use hacker said it had some problems, he wanted to do some work to it but there are more important and worthwhile things to do.

It didnt get used much anyway. Same with the currently runing tournament, there just ain't that many players around.

I hope to get another version of it up some time tho. As always you can post your suggestions and support :)