Author Topic: Your First Time  (Read 6620 times)

Offline zanco

Your First Time
« on: June 27, 2005, 01:38:54 AM »
Of course, I'm talking about your first time playing Outpost 2.

Since I started this thread, I might as well start with "my first time" playing OP2.

It was back in err... 2000 if I remember well. I remember my Dad giving me the C.D. and telling me that he happened to pass next to game store; since I like space, spaceship et all, he thought it would be a good idea to buy me this game that happens to happen into space. Joyfully, I grab the C.D. and run like the wind to install the game on my pc. Sad thing, the pc doesn't work and is in repair somewhere. What should I do at that time? I was reckless, full of anticipation (lol, I still am). I couldn't wait a day or two or three before playing that game. I so went to a friend's. We both installed the game, and took a look at it. It was amazing, it really was. When the video started, when we both watched the Savant's briefing, it was like making one of my dream come true (be part of an expedition to Mars... sort of)--though I know, it's New Terra, I couldn't and still can't help myself; this red-like planet always reminds of Mars. The game so had a new name for us; We dubbed it "the Mars expedition" or "Mars survival". Cool! I was or we-- we is refering to my friend and I--were in charge of a whole expedition or whatever it is. And we have to keep humanity alive. It was just too wonderful. After being amazed by such great beginning, we thought that it was time to start the game. Colony mode with Eden, we played. It was a disaster!! Why? because we didn't take the time to read the tutorial. We had no idea how to play this thing. We couldn't tell which structure from which. We couldn't tell what does what. In all, we were lost. And those constant "Meteor approaching" warnings was just getting annoying. Then we managed to click on the Factory structure. "Build a tokamak" I said, "it has some atom sign on it, it must do something really explosive" ( :heh: ). He did as I suggested. But then, how do we get it out of the SF then, and build it on solid ground? After about 10 minutes (Earth time), we got a convec there and loaded it. We managed then to build it somewhere. But then he said, "this game is strange, we have to build stuff two times". <_<
The next thing we built was a smelter I think. Our mistake, we forgot that the air of New Terra is not breathable for humans or other carbon-based organism; we didn't know that we needed to connect every structure to Command Center via tubes. The result: structure disabled. 10 minutes later, Scientists start dying, then worker, then food was gone, then ppl died, then we failed, our colony was doomed. :blink: That wasn't a great beginning. I left the C.D. to his house and went back home. A week or so after, I asked him for some feed-back. Answer: "your game isn't that great, I don't understand it; they say I need scientists for researches then scientists die. When there is no more scientists, I can't make any research then the hospitals are disabled, the nurseries too. Then I lose" And then he found the missions too hard because it was bit pointless to him. Gather ores and run away. Also the repetitive videos were something he didn't like. But I wasn't about to give up playing my game. After the pc got fixed up, I installed the game. Thoroughly read the tutorial and start playing. At that point, I think I was the only op lover in the neighborhood. I played a couple of games, mission games that I didn't complete. And without reading the story or playing in multiplayer mode, I was missing a lot of fun. Later the same friend asked me to lend him the cd. Unfortunatelly, I did. It was the last time I saw the c.d.; the dude lost it or maybe destroyed it. :'(  Without cd, no games. the only solution was to uninstall it.

About 4 years later, in a moment of absolute boredom, I felt the sudden urge to play this game. I went to gamespot.com just to play the demo (that they still have), but it wasn't enough, then I had the brilliant idea to google it. I met outpost-universe  B). What an adventure.

I know this is too much of a "first time" talk, but I felt the need to go further than just telling how I felt. So, how was your first time?  
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Your First Time
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 05:13:30 AM »
Nice story. Here's mine!

After having played and loved OUTPOST in 1994, despite all of its unfinished and broken features, I wanted more. And more came!

In 1996 after I bought Theme Hospital (and the internet became something I was able to access every day), I saw an Ad from SIERRA about a new game, Outpost 2. Knowing and loving the first game, I knew that this is a game I would one day own and love just as much!

So I looked for more information and followed the progress of the game for the next year until it was released. The day it came out, I was at the store. Granted, there were no huge lines and there wasn't a pre-order waiting line, but I had the game. As soon as we got into the car, I immediatly ripped the bag open and opened up the front flap. There it was, Outpost 2 in all of its glory!

When I brought it home, my brother looked at it and asked me if the graphics on the inside of the cover was the same as what was in the game itself. I told him that as far as I could tell, the graphics were EXACTLY the same minus, of course, the snazzy lens flares on the Labs!

I popped in the CD and waited for the Autorun program to start. "Communication Link Established!" chimed the mechanical voice. And that was when I knew that I would absolutely love this game.

I eagerly waited for the progress bar to reach 100%. As soon as it completed and the install screen dropped back to the desktop, I hit the Play button. The room as already dark being that the blinds and curtains were closed (I had been playing Quake2 earlier that day). The screen flicked black and the screen clicked telling me that the resolution had changed. And then, finally then, the Dynamix intro animation and jingle played. I was overcome by a sense of gratification as the Dynamix logo cleared and the Outpost 2: Devided Destiny plaque came on screen. The stars scrolled, and the computer started talking. Chills ran down my spine as the Savant Series AI Personality began to describe what had happened to Earth and what the streak on Earth's horizon was. The colony ship sped by and I knew what I had to do...

And that was the beginning of an era for me. I became an OP2 Multiplayer expert. Heh... go figure. I'm probably one of the slowest and most 'newbie' player on OPU as it is right now. But the fact still remains... OP2 was probably the best game I have ever bought. It was the end of a legacy that I truelly loved.

Wow... This little story has me really going now! Stormy, you'd better produce those damn documents! I plan to make good on my ultimatum there! (view forum.outpost-universe...topic=1816)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 07:27:58 PM by Leviathan »

Offline Leviathan

Your First Time
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 08:13:18 AM »
Well first time I played it was when I was given a demo CD with it on by a friend then, we used to play comp games together etc, Settlers, Transport Tycoon etc.

I played the demo a few times and though it was great. After a while we played the demo multiplayer over LAN 4 player! Me, him and his 2 younger bro's, i rember he killed his youngist brother and he went off crying to his day.

I wasent good then because I just started playing but I do rember tubeing down to a mine and building a smelter right close to a mine.

Also another friend of mine had the game years later and I rember thinking his older brother (and older than me) was real good at it because he was playing the colony games like population, he had the manual out :)

I got a copy of the game from my friend and played thru the campaign years later wen i moved to my current house (6-7years ago), realy enjoyed reading the campaign as playing, such a great story, rember teling my mum about the story. Loved the op2 intro!

I allways realy liked the game since I played the demo. I first went online one day and I played one game on pie, i rember being on WON and there being lots of people on. After that game I went offline, I tryed to go online to WON the next day, but couldnt get on, after a few trys I gave up, and I didnt try to go back online for another 6-8 months. From then I played online everyday.

My first clan was Cryo Clan in dec 1999 i think, i used the nick (CryoClan)CryoMaster. Then later on i made Southern Alliance with ChaosAngel but it never realy took of, i think it lasted about a week, i used the nick |SA|Lexus. After that i wanted to make my own clan and start over, so i made The Devine Order (got the name from LEXX (a TV series i was watching at the time), also I looked at a warhammer 20k book for a new name, I dont think I found a good name in the book but I did rember the name of a large tank in the warhammer 40k universe called the Leviathan, so I used that name for DO and kept it.  

Offline lordly_dragon

Your First Time
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 05:18:42 PM »
first time played in 1996 was at my uncle house he used to have all those old classic game... after  my uncle train me in the art of op2 and micromanagment i became a fair player and buy my own version for my house (it was a french version)

the rest is very similar to zanco story witch in order a friend steel my cd (hes no longer my friend) then i found op2 on opu

note: the informatic teacher at my school caugh me playing op2 during a lunch time and said that each dll could be a virus.... sigh  :P  

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Your First Time
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 06:12:57 PM »
My interest into OP2 started when I saw OP1 on the PC games shelf of a local 'all around store' (sorta like Walmart, but it was much smaller, it was named Shopko for anyone who cares), and I looked at the box, and thought it would be great. I was a really little kid at the time and it was long before I had a windows computer. (or maybe I did, but didn't have the money or mom didnt want to get it, or something. Can't remember.) Well I never did end up getting OP1.

Well, when I was in 3rd grade in school a kid from Arkansas moved up here to Michigan, to my school. We became friends, and shared interests in computers and video games.

Well about that time OP2 came out, and I saw it on the store shelf, OP1 was long gone off the shelves of the store. (Same store BTW) I looked at the box, looked in the flap etc, thought I wouldnt like it much at all. (I think I was 'seduced' by the graphics on the front of the OP1 box - didn't ever look at real game screenshots).

Well my friend, when we were in the 5th grade he was telling me how he had bought OP2, and loved it. He would explain it to me all the time how it worked, talked about earthworkers, what spiders+emp could do, etc, I didn't understand any of it, and kept saying "I think OP2 looks stupid" etc to him. However little by little he got me interested in the game, I still never bought it (nor went to his house to play it, for that matter)

Well, he later gave me a wrapped gift box around christmas time. he said "here's a christmas present for you". I shoved it in my bag and when I got home, opened the wrap and saw that it was the game, Outpost 2.

I installed it on my computer and I remember playing it quite a bit in the first year of having it. I remember how my manual had a printing defect (a page got folded over and stapled in the binding) and I had to fix that myself with tape. I never really played it hardcore, no multiplayer at all yet.

I got bored of it, I remember I thought 'all it is is making people happy and loading food trucks etc' in the campaigns. And I didn't like to play the levels with lava at all because the lava would wipe out my base. (or some other stupid reason).

My interest fluctuated for the game, some days I would feel like playing it, some days not, one time I remember bringing it to someones house and playing it on their computer (and getting a blue screen when playing since windows couldnt read the disc or something)

Well, my friend who had given me the game, told me he was playing multiplayer via direct modem dial with a friend that lived across the street. (They never played via won or tcp/ip since they all had AOL and it didnt cost them anything to just play direct dial, since it was only them 2 and they had dedicated phonelines for their PCs)

Well eventually I got rid of AOL and got broadband (must have been 1999 or 2000; my city was one of the first cities in the country to get a broadband cable network) and told my friend, we should play over tcp/ip. (he was still playing thru modem with his other friend quite often). (I didnt have a dedicated phone line, or call waiting for that matter, so the broadband connection was the only way to go). However we still couldnt play for quite a while because the connection wouldnt setup (I think it was because he didnt have general access on AOL parental controls so couldnt use external programs on the internet)

Anyway we eventually got to play, and we had really long games of "build up your army and fight at the end" every time. (Game length was on average 2 hrs) I could never remember the research order so he won most of the time. (And we went REALLY slow, no hotkeys or anything)

Sometimes I played with his brother who would really whip my ass at op2. After awhile I went to the OP2 website and found the scenario packs and we installed them, and he wanted to play La CO every game.

Eventualy I clicked the SIGS button to see what would happen, it downloaded some files and took me to WON, I only played 1 or 2 games on it before it shut down. (One of the games I remember was an LR, I accidently blew up all my vehicles and the other people were like "what are you doing")

I never used WON again after those first few initial games. And the OP2 official website was long gone, my friend was living in Milwaukee, WI so it was on his time we had to play (he would call me, tell me his IP, then hang up, and I would join the game), and I never had much time so could only play a couple times a week.

So with less multiplayer time, I played the Plymouth Landrush colony game over and over, and searched on the internet for information about OP2. Eventually I found the NHCS, and was interested with the map editor there.

Thus began my stay at the community here.

In recent years I played with my friend again, and another one who I copied the OP2 cd for (Midevi), as well as a kid in Texas who I copied the CD for.

I havent been able to talk to my "original" friend and play OP2, he lost his op2 cd and is reluctant to download it from our site.

And so here I am today.

Well that's my first time story.

Offline Blodo

Your First Time
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 06:59:35 PM »
Back in the prehistoric times (read 1996 or so) i didnt have a computer. As a matter of fact computers were a new thing here back then, same with internet, although there was quite a lot of gaming magazines. Me being a rather "enthuziasting" kid at the time i usually bought the magazines, then went over to one of my lucky buddies who had some of the greatest machines back then (p200 mmx, 32 megs of ram and 1,5gb of disk space and a riva tnt - best computer back then, go figure). Well we usually sorted thru the demos that the magazine i bought served, when we came along with the demo of outpost 2. I remember finding the game kinda out there but interesting nonetheless, so the next two months it was more like me coming to his house, and playing the demos of: zar, starcraft and op2 all over for like 2 hours a session. I cant believe how it lasted for so long :P Anyways then i got my own computer. I got all the games i ever liked as demos except OP2 which - me being unlucky - of course wasnt sold in this country. So i forgot about it. In 2004 i remember checking the-underdogs.org frequently hoping to find games i liked back then, in full version this time. They had OP2 for download for a small amount of time, but they had to take it off since a copyrighting company contacted them with threats of taking their site off the net.

Well I guess google aint that powerful after all, seeing as i happened upon this site entirely by accident while searching for non-relevant things :P

Offline Leviathan

Your First Time
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 07:57:28 PM »
Oh yea, my first time was OP1, my dad got a new computer (100mhz or somthin!) and a game called The Beast Within and Outpost 1 came free with it. OP1 was 3 floopy discs and I didnt play it much becauause on a new game after seting up my colony the turns would go by and my people would slowly die. I did enjoy loading the pre-saved saved game it came with and playing that. The underground rocked! Genraly I though Outpost 1 was a great idea for a game and very sweet, it looked good, had loads of different stuff I just never could realy understand it all so I never got into it.

I do have the OP1 box cover on my wall tho. I never owned OP2, I got copy of a friend, and after it broke, another copy, then again another copy (I kept wearing the CD's out). Untill one day I decided to go back to that great game, I found the CD in my collection of CDs and I knew how to copy my self. I wacked the OP2 CD in which has a snap in the middle (I realy didnt want to ask my friend for anotehr copy lol) and used Blindwrite to make a CD image, it took about 30mins and it had about 600 errors on it. But I installed from the cd image after that and played multiplayer on that comp for a long time.

Offline Sl0vi

Your First Time
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 06:39:02 AM »
One day I was at a computer store back in 97/98. I just any walked in there to see if they had interesting games. For some weird reason, the Outpost 2 box just seemed to "stand out" between all of the other boxes, so simple and stylish. Well, the game was one of the cheap games, so even I could afford it back then. :D I remember standing there, staring at the box, I had never heard of the game before, but it just looked like it could be brillant.

So ofcourse I bought it :D Ran back home, installed it on my computer. The intro had me caught right away. So I started my first game, a colony game ofcourse. I just loved the graphics in the game, nice and easy and the animations are beautiful.

Unfortunately, when it came to building up my colony, I had no idea what to do. It took me like a month to figure out how I could keep my colony alive. :lol:

So Outpost 2 quickly became one of my regular games, were I often spendt weeks, playing sandbox style in Eden starship :P Unfortunately, no one else I knew played or even knew of it, so it was only singleplayer.

I only got internet sometime just before WON went down, I only joined once, under the name nightfullyDARK. But there was only one person on, from the UK, and I never got a game. :(

So some time after that I decided to try going on the internet again, but WON no longer worked, and google only found old deserted sites. It wasn't until late in 2004 I found OPU :D
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Leviathan

Your First Time
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 05:15:31 PM »
I only joined once, under the name nightfullyDARK. But there was only one person on, from the UK, and I never got a game. :(
You never know, it could of been me :)

Come on guys, post your stories!

Offline Sl0vi

Your First Time
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 04:02:26 AM »
lol! It's not far from it was :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 04:02:56 AM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Your First Time
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 05:40:13 PM »
I started playing the demo in spring/summer of 1997.

Up until the day I discovered Outpost 2, I had only been playing 1st person shooting games(Doom etc) and a couple of version of the Championship Manager games, and yeah.. of course Commanche 3 (Helicopter Battle Simulator which I loved!).

Finishing just about all the Commanche 3 Missions, I was sorta bored with the game, and spent alot of time playing demo's from the demo cd's that always come along with computer magazines. So, one day as I installed just about all the games on one of these cd's and played through the demos, I came across Outpost 2.

This was my first encounter with a strategy game. I had never encountered resource collecting in a game, and neither seen such a wide range of vehicles. At the first try I couldn't find out the vehicles purpose, and before I knew it, my base was under attack(played on normal level here), and I quit. After playing another few boring games I decided to try again, this time on easy setting. The vehicles purpose was still a big mystery, and after 2 years or so of english classes, my English was well below poor. After a few hours I gave up, I just didn't get the purpose of this game. --> Outpost 2 Demo DELETED!!

However, the puzzle still bugged me. I'm really the kind of person who has to know the trick behind everything, so after a few weeks Outpost 2 was back, ready and installed. After a few tries, I could now produce LASER TOWERS! what a magnificent discovery! I could now wipe out the pesky Microwave Lynxes roaming freely!! HAHA POWER! WORLD DOMINATION SOON AT HAND!!.. or maybe not lol..

By the time Christmas was closing in I had tweaked out what most of the stuff in the colony was doing and I could more or less destroy the computers bases, without solving anything (Again lol.. imagine the frustration..!) So for Christmas I got enough money so I could actually buy a game, and of course I wanted more of Outpost 2 as I was now really in love with it's many details and gameplay.

So I found the game in a games shop, early 1998. Unfortunately, my computer broke down, and I lent the CD to a friend, who burned himself and his brothers a few copies before giving it back to me (He had also been intrigued with the demo). While I was reading everything written inside and outside of the box, he could tell of magnificent battles, with previously unheard of weapons of immense firepower!

So finally, my computer was back up running by mid February. I played "Ne Campaign", then "Colony Games" and finally.. Multiplayer ? After registering at WON (With my Real name of course.. duh!) I quickly realised people couldn't be named "Blue Tiger", "J- Star" and "Killer of Thor" (Old players names, of Thor = Royal Order of Thor, biggest clan on WON in it's time). So I adopted the nick "Neal Fargo".

My first game was on La Corrida, it was me and another newb I figure, up against 2 advanced players. Things got a little heated up before we were to attack, where my (Still) poor English, and continuosly shouting "f*** off" to our opponents didn't help much. Quickly spoken, my friend went down faster than a falling rock, while I myself almost got a first kill on my top opponent(They decided to take us on 1 by 1). Unfortunately a big Thor's army from down south ruined both my last advancing Thor Tigers and my base. Though Life.

Still, I was left with a desire for more destruction, and now set my eyes on joining a clan. The Panther clan! After failing my initial test: 1 vs 1 against Falcon(Funny that sending Laser Lynxes 1 by 1 didn't even get past her Guard Post?). I committed an "honorable" Harakiri and demolished my Command Center. I continued to try to join the clan and failing a few times before I gave up. In this period I also changed my nick to "Highlander Hunter" (Highlander only was taken..)

So after playing around for some time, I played a nice guy who called himself Aslan. He became my mentor for the next year and a half to come. During this time I also joined the NASA clan, NSS branch, serving as an infiltration agent (Basicly I got into every clan that was around to scoop up any non-exsitant secrets). It was in my first weeks in NASA I came to enjoy LR's in the big world maps, as these were the ones played most often.

Finally came the day that I beat my mentor, and he revealed his true identity. It proved to be Falcon from the Panther clan. Around this time I was at my peak of playing ability, being able to Micro Rush anyone on WON. As time passed this became boring and I fell back into the pattern of playing Landrushes and trying to recruit new members into the NASA clan. It was around this time that I had some of the best games I can remember together with a fellow NASA player, "Dark Tiger"[MIA]. Were we played in joint bases in "Fort NASA" in "Around the Wolrd" map. (Some of you might be familiar with this Strategic Position :P) At this time I also my first invitation to join the PÅ(Patriarch Alliance) which I turned down. I joined the clan with the 2nd invitation, but parted shortly after, as many of it's members didn't play as they preached. I stayed as the Leader of NASA, until I left WON.

Then, as I started school away from my hometown, I lost internet connection for most of the time, and shortly after WON closed down. I then played some tcp/ip games now and then, but this became rarer and rarer, until I found back here. I was able to play for a while, but the my connection shifted into a broadband and lost ability to play once again.

Thats most of the story up until now, when Hamachi keep me alive.

Feel free to comment or ask questions ;)

There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Leviathan

Your First Time
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »
Was that Falcon of PA? Or was it someone else? Was Falcon first in Panther clan then PA later?

Also make sure to help out with the old clans list on the wiki. Ty old timer :)

I also got into PA, i was good enough (tho i sucked majorly on WON), so they let me in. Tho I was with my clan DO then do I only wanted to c if i could get in because they were the only other clan still around at the time in late WON life, 2000-2001 or whatevea. After being on WON with the PA nick for about 10mins i loged back on with <DO>Leviathan :P

I think people who alias (use diff nicks and pretend to be diff people) suck :P

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Your First Time
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 06:30:23 PM »
ok... heres mine ;p

My dad got OP2 in i believe 1999 or '98... I was watching him play.. (i was like under 10 at teh time) i said... 'WHATS THAT THING...'.. and he tried to explain it to me...
Then we went out to fry's and he bought me my own copy of the game... because i kept messing his colonys up... (i kept starving them to death b/c all i knew how to do was build lynx and stuff).. eventually i got good enough and he said we should play aganst each other over our LAN..
 (he whooped me every time ;p)
We didn't play like paco, we played for like an hour or 2 straight.. then at the end we have this MASSIVE war...

( i havent played online until the first time i joined op2 on IRC)
Thats how i got started...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 06:30:57 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Your First Time
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 02:20:28 PM »
my turn now?

here's how it went for me:

i had the op2 pre-release demo on a CD. one of those CDs that came free with my dad's computer magazine subscription (i have loads of those CDs with demo programs from the era of quake, duke nukem 3D and op2)
well anywho, i installed it and played it (the start up was dang annoying though - the "savant series computer activated. outpost 2 demo initiated. please choose an option" speech had to complete before the menu would appear), i can't remember if i ever worked out how to build a mine (i didn't realise you had to survey it 1st lol). but as i played it i was constantly thinking if i had an expanded version of this it would be a lotta fun, i.e. if i had the full game.
then one day in year 7 (about 6 years ago, so in 1998 around ocotober i think) when coming home from school on friday i happened to see in the side window of pound stretcher a shopping basket filled with games just under one of the counters (such as unreal, and other games of that sorta time), and on the very top was op2 - the back of the box was facing towards me. i had to stop and blink and make sure what i was looking at was what i thought it was.
so i went home quick and waited impatiently for my dad to come home. (see when i was that age i still had to ask him before i could spend my money on anything besides food/drink). he gave me the usual questions "are you sure this is something that you want?" "you sure you will enjoy it?" - i nodded eagerly, and he eventually gave me permission.
i spent all of friday afternoon playing the prerelease demo.
so sunday comes (after too long), and i go down at 10 and ask if the stuff in the basket is for sale. it is, so i buy op2 for £10, and go home happy.
unfortunatly i didn't get to play it till next weekend due to lotsa homeworks.
i read the game manual at least 6 times during that week.
so when i finally got to install+play the game i went straight into plymouth campaign (i already knew from the prerelease demo that i liked plymouth more, lol).

so yeh thats my story.
looking back i shoulda taken time to look at the other games in that basket cos i know there were a couple i woulda enjoyed - like cyberstorm and tribes ^_^;;
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Your First Time
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »
I only got internet sometime just before WON went down, I only joined once, under the name nightfullyDARK. But there was only one person on, from the UK, and I never got a game. :(
um i think that was me. heh
that name sounds familiar, and i was never able to actually play on WON, but could join the lobby+chat
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Your First Time
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 04:57:08 AM »
i got op2 as a b-day gift from my uncle. it was an odd gift considering he knows nothing about computers, gaming or scifi and he never really knew me that well. i installed the game and played colony games for a long time to get the feel for it. i didnt even try SIGS/WON for about a year. when i first got on, i got acclimated to how multiplayer works as outpost 2 was the first game i EVER played online. i joined some games and for the most part, hid in the corner of the map and let the "big boys" play. i merely watched. to say the least, i was cannon fodder for the first 126 games i played. i learned the speak. i learned some tactics. i even started writing my own and posting them online. i dont consider this period to be my "first time." i start counting at my first victory, which i remember well. ive explained this before on irc, to those who know.

the guy i was playing with wanted to play til high mark. he wanted to "build an arena in the middle of the map" so we could send in our tanks and duke it out without killing eachothers bases and dying. i knew from the beginning he'd backstab. this was the time when almost everyone on WON backstabbed for a vic. so i prepared. i expanded my base over time, building redundancies and creating contingencies to fall back in. i tried to consider every possible mode of attack the guy could throw at me. the game wound up going for about 9 hours. we played on around the world and each of our bases took up an entire half of the globe. the fighting "arena" was in the center. my opponent built massive walls to mark out the area. we would send in tanks and let them go. i would for the most part leave them alone and let them "auto fight" while i worked on my base. i made it a point to dangle a carrot in his face. i built redundancies of all my primary structures CLOSER to his base. in fact, my primary CC was within shooting distance of tanks coming out of his factories. i then built copies of them as far from his base as possible, usually tucked in cliffs. i barricaded them and made it look as though THESE structures were my primaries, when in fact they were tertiaries. i made my most useless structures look important. too important for my opponent to pass up. i built only 2 cc's which was unusual for me. i usually built more, but i wanted him to take the bait. i built 10x thick walls around it, 3 concentric rings of thor/emp turrets and since the cc was at the end of a kind of "canyon" in the terrain, i built 8 garages just ahead of the cc. i would build and load these garages with thor tanks while our units battled and i was sure my opponent was distracted. the time finally came when i knew he would attack. he had at least 60 tigers and he began launching EMP missiles at me. ALL his tanks rolled past my primary structures and focused on the decoys. he thought most of my base was disabled, when in fact he only shut down useless units. he rolled all his tanks into the decoy cc area which was barricaded with walls. only one way in, one way out. he destroyed the cc yet my base was still online. i unloaded my garages behind him, sealing him in the square. while he was breaking thru my decoy defenses to get to the cc, i took out his factories and spaceports. he couldnt disable my tanks and i made short work of his 70. he had only one cc and it was taken out with 3 starflare lynx while i killed his main tank force. his base went offline and i mopped up the leftover structures. it was the greatest victory ive ever had in gaming. for a game where your enemy can see EVERYTHING you do, i managed to hide every aspect of my strategy in plain sight. i was proud. and still am.

Offline siqueule

Your First Time
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 08:32:48 AM »
pfuuu... that made a lot of years! I was by a friend, he had this game "in a magazine" said he... we tried the eden campaign, and we lost in the first mission because we build the structures in the convec, that was contrary the objective  <_< ! to finish, he had engrave the game and he gave it to me... that was the french version... I have finish this campaign a few month ago  :op2:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Tellaris

Your First Time
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 11:51:46 AM »
My brother got ahold of an illegal copy of OP2, I at the time didn't know it was pirated.
As OP2 is not well pirate protected, you can copy it to another disk and go.
The first time I hopped into the campaign.   I got as far as mission 9ish, then went into a few colony games.
I then tried the SIGS online play.   My first game was how you see it now.   Steady morale and everything else off.   I lost, horribly.   But then again, my teammate managed to finish off one of the enemy, before he was killed.   I think he was fairly good.   (Colusseum)   I've played that map alot.   There where other practices on various LR/LOS games, most notably, Root Canal, (LOS/LR versions) Fractures, Colusseum, and one on Pie (I didn't like it, so I avoided Pie maps like the plague)   A good game was played on Root, LOS version, 6 player.   It was a long time, I built a lot of walls and GPs, while my teammates spammed tanks.   First battle occured in center, which we lost as I was not really there (only a couple laser tanks, they all had tigs)   I had quite the nice complex.   We lost shortly after, but it was still a fairly fun game.
A game on Fractures with Day/Night, Morale on, we played it kinda long.  Two players built beside eachother (one my team, one theirs) and they started fighting over having built so close (was in the lower plains area, in middle of map, above the cliffs)
In the end, the enemy died, and my teammate starved to death.  Couldn't save him.   The game went from there, but eventually people just quit.   There never was any real fighting.    Though I remember purp sent out a hefty army at Green, but he lost it.
My last game was on Colussium.   I never did get to finish it.   CD stopped working on me.   I guess it had finally gained the fatal scratch.   The game did the effect of crashing due to no CD.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Sirbomber

Your First Time
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 09:43:44 PM »
Can't say I remember my first time. But I do remember owning 2 plymouth guys on a space race. One (my original ally before the 4th person quit) was bragging about how he had EMP Missiles and everything done. He tried to missile me and my meteor defenses blew them all up. Then he said he was about to win and launched his "last rocket" (I correctly assumed it was his skydock). Then I launched my RLV with my Phoenix Module.

And the morale of the story is that it's fun to make fun of people who brag about how good they are and then get the failure message 5 seconds later.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Your First Time
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2005, 10:34:53 PM »
wow, my first time technicly was with the op2 demo

I remember getting it in a game called civil war generals 2, I ended up playing the demo alot more than the game itself lol

first multy was basicly me making abunch of panther acid clouds, and than getting owned lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline siqueule

Your First Time
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2005, 02:37:46 PM »
I remember: with my friend, we discover the game, we were in eden -starship, and we send a food-truck in plymouth colony to be friend with them, they demolished the truck has each time, we don't understand  :lol:  
attention! ne mets pas tes mains sur la porte: tu risques de te faire pincer très fort
warning! don't put your hand on the door: you risk to be grip very strong

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Your First Time
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2005, 07:18:25 PM »
Hmm, I've always wanted to try shooting down an evacuation module with a meteor defense. That would be a really cool way to kill someone off. As they're expecting to win, and those 200 colonists meet a bloody and gory death instead. Leaving them with noone to keep their CC running.  :lol:

Hmm, it's occured to me that I haven't seem a post of mine in here. I kinda thought I'd left one before. Oh well, I'm not sure I can remember my first time playing anymore. :(

Offline Sirbomber

Your First Time
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2005, 07:51:12 PM »
siqueule, looks like we think alike. We just want to make friends. Why does it always end in a bloodbath?

And Hooman, why would you shoot down a rocket with humanity's last hope for survival in it?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Your First Time
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005, 09:57:30 PM »
If I can't have humanity's last hope, noone can!  :ph34r:  

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Your First Time
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005, 10:13:11 PM »
lets just hope it never comes to that, expecially with you around lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode